USS Cairo by Zetec - 1/50 scale

.Hi I live in England and a had an idea that I want to build an ironclad river gunboat so I started to find out some information and plans that was when I came across the build of USS Cairo 1862 by MPB521 I liked the look of this model so much that I thought I would have a go at building one. This is the first time I have tried to build a model with so much wood work it will be a steep learning curve so please be patience with me as I am not very good at writing up and posting pictures of what I am building. I have been modelling for about 15 years and have manly built British Lifeboats and there trailers.

I intend to build the model at a scale of 1 to 50 and build the hull using 5mm plywood for the frames and then clad the bottom and sides in lime wood. And then build the frame of the casemate area and then the top deck and cabins again in lime wood. I want to build the outside of the model first and when this has been built I will go about building and fitting out the inside.

I decided to do it this way as I am not getting any younger and with health problems so if I could not finish it I would at least have a model to look at and may be for someone else to finish off in the future.

Glad to see that I was able to spark an interest in this magnificent boat. I will be following along intently! Best of luck.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Zetec, great start! Nice work on cutting all those bulkheads and keels by hand.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 6:40 AM, Zetec said:

I cut all of these out by hand as I do not have access to a saw bench

Heroic task.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 1 month later...

A few  pictures of the planking of the hull. I have not showed pictures of doing the planking it as its a standard process. I did steam the planks that go around the stern I bent them to shape pinned them in place untill dry before I glued them. I put 4 blocks on the inside so I could put threaded inserts in so

I can hold the hull down. I can now put bolts throuhg my building board into the hull to stop it from moveing as I build it. The last picture showes the blocks inbetween the frames.

[10] .JPG

[11] JPG.JPG

[13] .JPG

[15] 4-12-22.JPG

[18] .JPG

[22] .JPG

Looking good Zetec, brings back fond memories. 

-Brian

• 1 month later...

I made up the hatches that are on the deck and fitted them into place and then started to do the floor and the sides of the boiler pit. I cut out to openings to show were they got the coal for the boiler from. I now started to cover the deck in 2mm x 5mm lime wood planks. I then cut out the beams that went across the back put the planks in on the sides and then put in new crossmembers. All done with no problems.

John

Planking deck 1.JPG

Planking deck 2 JPG.JPG

Deck .JPG

Rear Beams.JPG

Very nice work John! I wish that I had done my hatches this way instead of planking then cutting them out. I ran into several issues where there was no support under them when they were cut out and had to "beef up" the openings from underneath to get the hatches to sit right.

-Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi her are a few more pictures of my build. I am sorry to say they do not show a work in progress as some of the photos I took got delated by my wife in error so this is all I got of building the top. I used aluminium angle and cut and bolted them so that there were gaps in them so the bends of the wood could go through. I cut the ends of the top pieces of wood so I could bend them to the shape I wanted and then glued a thin piece of ply to hold them in the right bend. The pictures that are missing show how I made the sides. I then started to plank the inside and outside putting in the wires for the lights I am useing on the inside.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

07.JPG

Beautiful work John! Definitely a different approach to building the top, off the hull. Do you plan on making the top open to view the inside gun deck?

-Brian

• 8 months later...

Beautiful work as always John! Glad to see more progress. I would have to say that the paddlewheel was one of the more complex parts of the build, but also one of the most enjoyable and satisfying parts. 

-Brian