Hello from Vermont

I have recently become interested in model ship building and came across this forum.  The content here is fantastic and I know I can learn a lot.  Last summer I bought a hobby metal lathe and soon became interested in model steam engines and boilers.  I have recently linked this hobby to model ship building and now dream of building a steam powered Mississippi River Paddleboat.  I am definitely not ready for that yet but am considering starting with something more basic like a steam launch.  I have done a bit of searching for plans but to be honest I'm not sure where to start.  I definitely want to do a scratch build from plans as I have little to no interest in a kit build.

I have been a backyard carpenter and woodworker my entire life so tools and skills really are not a problem.  Though I have not completed a steam engine or boiler yet I am very close to that.  All of the research is done and many books purchased and studied on both.  I just don't feel like my lathe skills are up to par quite yet to dive into those projects.  I also do some metal casting and 3d printing.  I am somewhat knowledgeable with Sketchup which is very handy for making patterns from 3d prints  for casting.

If anyone could point me in a good direction for some plans it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm thinking something two to three feet long would give me the best opportunity to include the best detail and not be so small it would be fiddley. I guess since this would be my first boat build the more detail the better.

Thank you for accepting me into this forum and I look forward to learning as much as I can here.

Denis

Edited by goatfarmer11

=Denis-

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Under Construction

Miranda

:sign:Hello, this is the place to be, lots will help you on your journey,  Good Luck !!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome to MSW, Dave.   We have had quite a few metal working projects as well as 3D printed works here for steam engines, miniature tools, ships, etc.   Feel free to start a log when you're ready.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Denis, welcome to MSW. I love steam power. Glad to have you aboard. 

:piratebo5:Denis, welcome to MSW.

Do please set up a build log when you start your steam launch.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

47 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

:piratebo5:Denis, welcome to MSW.

Do please set up a build log when you start your steam launch.

I sure will, thanks for the kind welcome.

Denis

=Denis-

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Under Construction

Miranda

Where do you call home? I lived in Vermont several times in my life and consider the state my favorite. Lived in the greater Burlington area. I also drove LCT ferries to work my way through college (UVM). Best job ever!

Terry

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2 hours ago, CDR_Ret said:

Where do you call home? I lived in Vermont several times in my life and consider the state my favorite. Lived in the greater Burlington area. I also drove LCT ferries to work my way through college (UVM). Best job ever!

Terry

I live in Concord, a very small rural town near St. Johnsbury.

=Denis-

Under Construction

Miranda