Oseberg ship burial replicas

Few of the items I've made. Although not ships they are replicas from the Oseberg ship burial. 

I've included pictures of the originals where possible. 

I'm in the process of making a new bed from beech as per the original. The one in the photos is pine.

Screenshot_20230706_190628.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_190645.jpg

20220829_195232.jpg

d4d4a210c713f7e94e51cec8edba3823.jpg

IMG_20211206_215619_958.jpg

IMG_20211206_215620_001.jpg

20210822_185746.jpg

20210919_102820.jpg

Screenshot_20230706_194904.jpg

20230706_204707.jpg

Screenshot_20220914-205645_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220921_214821.jpg

Edited by Eindride

Very nice! I used to do Viking period re-enactment, and those artefacts are pretty amazing.

I know what all of them are for except the little cylindrical thing in your hand(though I suppose I could make a guess - for spices, salt, something like that).

Steven

39 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Very nice! I used to do Viking period re-enactment, and those artefacts are pretty amazing.

I know what all of them are for except the little cylindrical thing in your hand(though I suppose I could make a guess - for spices, salt, something like that).

Steven

Hi Steven.

You're spot on with your guess. There were several in the grave they contained seeds.

Very nicely done!

What is this?

IMG_3708.thumb.jpeg.f2375a7a9e30642aecf111beed8b872a.jpeg

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very cool!  Thank you very much for the information!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Eindride,

I tried to comment a few days ago but it seems like the post did not take.

Your work is beautiful! I love the carving on the bed headboards.

But I think that you have made a mistake on the niddy noddy. The end pieces should be perpendicular to each other and not in the same plane. Then the yarn is wound as in the attached photo. I wonder if the Oseberg niddy noddy was crushed in the burial.

My wife is a (former) hand weaver and spinner, and has done a lot of research on Vikings for a couple of recent novels. She informed me that the small wooden containers in the Oseberg burial contained cannabis seeds.

I built the Billings model of the Oseberg ship a few years ago. There should be a link to gallery photos in my signature file.

Niddynoddy.jpg.b14412228026b023357173edd7c2ee38.jpg

On 7/11/2023 at 3:04 AM, rvchima said:

Eindride,

I tried to comment a few days ago but it seems like the post did not take.

Your work is beautiful! I love the carving on the bed headboards.

But I think that you have made a mistake on the niddy noddy. The end pieces should be perpendicular to each other and not in the same plane. Then the yarn is wound as in the attached photo. I wonder if the Oseberg niddy noddy was crushed in the burial.

My wife is a (former) hand weaver and spinner, and has done a lot of research on Vikings for a couple of recent novels. She informed me that the small wooden containers in the Oseberg burial contained cannabis seeds.

I built the Billings model of the Oseberg ship a few years ago. There should be a link to gallery photos in my signature file.

Niddynoddy.jpg.b14412228026b023357173edd7c2ee38.jpgHi Rod.

Thank you, I said I wouldn't do another bed but I've started on one 😅 

The Arms on the Oseberg Niddy Noddy's were in the same plane as far as research shows as they are attached by mortice and tennon joints. I've attached a photo of the original. 

Your wife is correct about the cannabis seeds in the small containers. 

Screenshot_20230713_203753.jpg

Edited by Eindride

49 minutes ago, Eindride said:

Screenshot_20230713_203753.jpg

They are ancient.... 

A painting by DaVinci...

Madonna_of_the_Yarnwinder.thumb.jpg.f8b3e7dfff09d20ca4e8c233a33a0946.jpg

The title is Madonna of the Yarnwinder one of two versions painted by DaVinci  circa 1501 to 1507 and presented to Florimond Robertet, a secretary to King Louis XII of France.

From Wiki...

The composition shows the Virgin Mary seated in a landscape with the Christ child, who gazes at a niddy-noddy used to collect spun yarn. The niddy-noddy serves both as a symbol of Mary's domesticity and as a foreshadowing of the Cross on which Christ was crucified. The painting's dynamic composition and the implied narrative were highly influential on later High Renaissance depictions of the Madonna and Child by artists such as Raphael and Andrea del Sarto.

It's an ancient tool with many useful purposes still in use today by yarn makers...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"