Revenge 1577 by Loracs - Amati - 1:64

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I fixed some of the issues mentioned before.  I could not tie the rope to the lower block because the shrouds are in the way now... but, like @Baker to the deck rail, which pretty much solved the issue.  

Second, I then complete the shrouds to the bow. I'm working my way to the Mizzen and Bonaventure shrouds, which are incomplete for now.  Slowly but steadily.

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2382.jpeg

IMG_2378.jpeg

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

Current Build: Bireme, Greek Warship

Those are very impressive,  I wish I could do that.  Nice work   :cheers:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

@Knocklouder, thank.  Believe me, if I can do it, you most certainly can.  Only a matter of time and pacing yourself.  Of course, all the tips and know-how found here are quite helpful too.  There is nothing more useful than seeing people's logs.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Futtock-staves and catharpins: With all the lower shrouds completed, it was time to tackle the futtock-staves and catharpins.  What a pain... at least for me.   I tried doing it with blocks but with so many knots, it is quite difficult to adjust.  The second approach (which may not be quite right for the Revenge) was to do the catharpins as described by Boubriot.  It involved treading a single rope between the futtock staves.  It looks easier on paper than done.

After several trials and failings, I settled on a variant.  Rather than having two passes every second shroud, I alternate 1-2, in a single pass.  It just holds in place better for me without constant adjustment.  The end result is a trapezoid pattern rather than a parallel layout.  After working several days on that...  I decided to just keep it.  Not perfect but it worked, move to the second one and be done with this.   Please pardon the deviation.

image.thumb.jpeg.72e983add0a114abf333e11daff6796a.jpeg

IMG_2395.jpeg

IMG_2398.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Posted (edited)

Mainstay Collar: Amati provided little information on how to anchor the mainstay.  Lennarth Petersson drawings (Rigging period ship model) were used as a reference.  A 2mm rope, the same size as the mainstay, was served and attached through the hole in the bow.

IMG_2410.jpeg

IMG_2421.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Posted (edited)

Ratlines and Stays: Starting to work on the ratlines.  Not as difficult as anticipated but... it will take a while.  A few everyday while doing other things. It is still quite hot middays, which limits my time.   Note: dark ratlines, rather than tan, were a choice based on preference.  I just did not like the tan... too much contrast.

The 2mm main and fore stays are quite big when compared to the ratlines.  The pendant/loop is made by incorporating a block into the cable before serving.  Here a before and after.

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_2448.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Was about to post progress on the Revenge but found a small mistake.  When I set-up the Stays, I pass-through the stays through the space that the secondary masts will sit ... obviously the masts do not fit anymore.  The STAYS had to be taken down.  No room for mistake there, it simply won't fit otherwise.  Luckily, it is just a matter of cutting the sizing and doing it again, passing the rope through the outer edge.  Dry fit ok now.

Beside this... more of the same - ratlines.  Knots 400 of ~1600.

Two steps forward, one step backward...  there are days like that!

Edited by Loracs

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Shrouds and Stays: Except for the front one (rigging blues), all shrouds and stays are installed.  This is a very slow process for me.  It looks straightforward but it is not always... and somewhat lengthy.  Here's what it looks like:

Ropes: all ropes are made using a ropewalk, 15 feet at a time. A range at 0.25, 0.5, 0.65, 0.75, 1, 1.2 and 2mm (light or dark), it adds up fast. However, I keep running out of ropes of any given size, which means that I'm doing them often.

Serving: All first shrouds are served to full length. It's especially important to serve the end of the shrouds around the topmasts (crow's nest).  Serving makes the rope very rigid, so it does NOT compress as you add one on top of each other.  Similarly, all blocks attached to masts/cables are served too (not quite sure if they were actually done that way).

Rope to length: Installing the rope is ok but it has to be sized to length on the ship before finishing.  I usually set them a good 1cm shorter, since they stretch while installing.  I like to have good tension when possible.

Ratlines:  so many to do.

Finally, I'm getting "Rigging Burn-out": Can't do too much at a time without making mistakes.  Planning on taking a short break before starting on the spars... those look quite tricky to install.

image.thumb.jpeg.58a6145230bb0db7d1ab18331216e86a.jpeg

IMG_2486.jpeg

IMG_2488.jpeg

IMG_2496.jpeg

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

She is beautiful. I very much enjoyed reading your log, and the pics are amazing. Can't wait for the updates.

Mikki

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Working on: Dusek's San Martin

Completed: Good ol' first ship build- Constructo's Albatross; Mamoli's HMS Bounty; Mamoli's Golden Hinde; Amati's Drakkar; Occre's Revenge; Artesania Latina's San Fran