HMS Erebus by clearway - OcCre - 1/75 scale - bashed

47 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

wherever I look on MSW you are shepherding us along

Andrew, I love MSW and I love my fellow MSW members. One of my biggest joys in life is following you guys, watching and learning. 

21 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Keith, I just saw that you have this build underway.

Thanks Keith- i was wondering how long it would be as i know you like your steam/ sail hybrids - hopefully won't be as mind bending as what the Other Keith and i went through trying to figure Terror out!

The other other Keith😁

5 hours ago, clearway said:

i went through trying to figure Terror out

A lot to be said about a good detective story.

Edited by Keith Black

22 hours ago, Keith Black said:

A lot to be said about a good detective story

It was certainly that Keith and i was really glad of the Band of Keiths during the dark days of the lockdowns!

Back in the now and suddenly summer has returned so its full steam ahead felting my mother in laws shed😁

Managed over previous couple of evenings to plank the bows diagonally downwards like the reinforcing planking on Erebus and Terror's bows (didn't see point of wasting walnut planking under the metal bow plating). Yet once more i am so glad i managed to correct the run of the bilges on Erebus.Erebus_bow_planking1.thumb.jpg.9e7c1cedbfa2965d0619282a08d08a97.jpg

Take care all, and thanks as always for the likes and comments

Keith

5 hours ago, Geowolf said:

Hi clearway i'm very glad yo see you on the way again with next ship!! but... it's very similar to the Terror!!

Hi geowolf and thank you- yes it is very deja vu😁. As you can see i have already altered the wrong shape of the hull and heightened the bulwarks- you can't do Terror without having Erebus as well!

Keith

Hi everyone- wow this heatwave hitting the U.K. at the moment is making up for a dismal July/ August! Not much happening with Erebus as either too hot, sweaty and exhausted or doing out door jobs.

Started on the 2nd planking below the shroud protector using a slightly darker less oxidised walnut but lack of energy with the heat at the moment.

Erebus_2nd_planking_21.thumb.jpg.c6429ef181d86e70c5421ff9b4e60cd6.jpg

Take care all and thanks for the likes and comments.

Keith

Good ole Cumbrian weather- from rain and cold to heatwave then back to cold and rain all in the space of a week!

The 2nd walnut planking slowly making progress down the starboard side- will start on port side now to keep the hull even.

Erebus_2nd_planking_21.thumb.jpg.31ae0be7a22257872b9d674d3881a44b.jpg

Thanks for the likes and looking in everyone.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while: not surprised you've decided to tackle a sister-ship. I had the same thought meself when I saw they'd done an "Erebus" but need to finish Terror first, obviously. 

You've done a good job with the hull. The shape of mine has always bothered me. Not so much the inaccurate transom as the little bulge at the stern. I knew right away something was wrong but at the time lacked the knowledge to do anything about it.  Overall it doesn't really affect how my model looks because the eye is drawn to the topsides on a model like this, but it's well that you fixed it and I wish I had done so too. Good luck with this one. Still planning on finishing mine in the next hear or so. 

Keith

10 hours ago, Keith S said:

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while

Keith, good to hear from you. I hope you had a successful season. 

Hey Keith nice to hear from you and nice to see you are still going to carry on with your little Terror. I agree and i think we discussed it back at the beginning of our logs about the weird bulge in the hull, but as you say there is an lot going on to draw the eye (however my lil Terror is on a shelf in the workshop and the bilge is right in line of sight!

The Keiths are back:ph34r:

Keith

Just noticed today that you had started a log for your Erebus, so my apologies for being late to the party! As always, some beautiful work is happening in your shipyard. I particularly like the added details showing the various component pieces of the sternpost. Looking forward to see your additional revisions along the way!

Thanks for looking in- yesterday we got a brief period of high pressure between the aftermath of the hurricanes coming across the Atlantic and mananged to get the top or capping felt on my mother in laws shed - 3 hours later the winds and rain arrived so certainly got field tested!

Today with heavy rain and high winds it was back in my den of iniquity 😁have reached the top of the sternpost with the starboard 2nd planking and am currently working on the port side till i reach the same stage. After that i will have to work out best way to run them onto the sternpost extension above the propellor cut out.

Erebus_2nd_planking_41.thumb.jpg.3dd85ba490c32cbc55e7e88f864a1ddc.jpg

one thing ithat is better with altering the shape of occres hull is that by this stage on my HMS Terror i had to start using drop planks to get round the 'bulge'!

Looking far ahead concerning the rigging i have heard her referenced as 'merchant rigged' and Matthew Betts makes reference to the lower for yard on the Terror wreck still having its heavy iron truss so will most likely rig her like that as opposed to the Royal Navy rope trusses i rigged on Terror.

Yard_crane_or_truss1.thumb.jpg.91eb24ebe3ba457683aec7ff670b2713.jpg

any builders of Terror who are reaching this stage should consider this as well.

Take care all 

Keith

Thanks for the likes, looking in, and comments everyone- work still progressing on the 2nd planking with starboard side reaching the sternpost with a couple of full length planks running onto the sternpost extension above the prop well. As a break from planking i started fabricating the carcasses for the two stern deckhouses - used pieces of ply off cuts from old billings kits (never throw decent timber/ ply leftovers away).

Erebus_2nd_planking_51.thumb.jpg.ecf6d8b34e6d9335ae1f91e619fbf31c.jpg

Erebus_deck_houses1.jpg.61db01b5be899409721cad73fa99e6c3.jpg

used the dimensions from Matthew Betts Terror book for the deckhouses (when i compared sizes to my guestimated dimensions for my Terror i wasn't too far out😁)

Take care all

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Thanks for the likes and looking in- while slowly but surely adding the 2nd planking carried out some more work on the stern deckhouses (heads)- the roofs will be planked with 4mm x 1mm walnut as per my Terror versions, the two cross shaped cut outs are marked but still need cut out. Also found some finer gratings in my stash which while still slightly too big are a lot better looking than the occre gratings (the left over gratings from my Terror build are on the deck beside replacement- the hatch coamings are 4mm x 2mm walnut.

Erebus_deck_houses_21.jpg.17d4752d14c8f8aeae4eec4e1a6c6ea2.jpg

Erebus_hatch1.thumb.jpg.760676c1919b23b8af696290b434df29.jpg

Note in the deck shot the different set up for the bowsprit on Erebus compared to Terror pictured below

Terror_anchor_chain_guards_21.thumb.jpg.5ed65865b67abf6f5db6b03ca7a31186.jpg

Take care everyone.

Keith

Rubbish weather led to more shipyard time this weekend with the two deckhouses now completed, also nearly finished the 2nd planking on the starboard side with only some infill planks to add above the propellor opening. Also made a new prop from some brass tubing and bits of scrap left over brass sheet (will be painted with humbrol polished steel), also used brass black to darken the brass eyelets for the sun lights on the deck and made the grating/ hatch for the galley stovepipe (nothing glued in place yet).

Erebus_deck_houses_31.jpg.0d564b84a35aee9c17305bd16668bd06.jpg

Erebus_2nd_planking_61.thumb.jpg.c1511b6f43d7a35ff7b917b6d27b55c4.jpg

Erebus_propeller1.jpg.0601714103d64a16563da7f9134cc0b7.jpg

Erebus_sunlights1.thumb.jpg.9b7038e701c30d15602bb6c88c9d5c96.jpg

Thanks for looking in and the likes as always everyone.

Keith

• 1 month later...

The winter evenings are really starting to settle in- with daylight saving now dark around 4pm! Still working on the garden "messy" workshop but have managed to paint , use a wash (ak interactive for dark wood- used an orange wash first) and varnish the ships wheels and mount them with the barrel on the spindle- will scratch some supports using the ply kit ones as a guide. Also chemically blackened some of the iron strapping for the sternposts.

Erebus_ships_wheels1.jpg.9cf8620422ff027714b8c3123bdce382.jpg

Garden_room_21.thumb.jpg.4d21852917dcafde994f9dbf9df7f626.jpg

oh boy it gets warm when in there when the stove gets up to working temp- the room is 12 feet x 8 feet and roof at height of arc around 7 feet.

Thanks for looking in and take care everyone

Keith

Keith, did you build your workshop? I watch numerous BBC shows and the lets are a trip in both condition and construction. I like the ship's wheel, a lot. 

19 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Keith, did you build your workshop?

Yes Keith although the curved roof beams came as cnc cut dovetailed interlocking kits - regards the ships wheels i forgot to mention they were first primed black then sprayed with humbrol 29 dark earth before the washes already mentioned were added.

Keith

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2023 at 8:11 PM, clearway said:

still working on fitting out my garden workshop so no shipyard updates (hopefully back with her soon).

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas everyone and "ev a gud yan" as we say in Cumbria (have a good one)!

Keith

Merry Christmas from Spain! best regards, 😀

I'm a bit late to return your Christmas greeting, Keith, but send all best wishes for the New Year!

On 12/30/2023 at 11:28 AM, clearway said:

Thanks and here's hoping you are having better weather than the constant wind and rain we are getting here (i think our Norse ancestors who settled here upset a rain god and they are still punishing us)!

Keith

Hi Clearway, i´m envious of your rain! Maybe because of climate change, Spain is going to become a big desert so you can see, what some have in excess, others lack! Specially in Catalonia, all the rivers and reservoirs are dry, please send us some clouds 😄

best regards and Happy New Year!!