HMS Erebus by clearway - OcCre - 1/75 scale - bashed

Thanks for the likes and comments as always everyone. Actually spent a little time in the shipyard last couple of days- have made replacement stands for the helm from walnut and filed a piece of scrap brass sheet to shape for the inclinator and used brass rod for the pointer. The helm isn't fastened in place yet.

Erebus_inclinator1.jpg.fd2451e09c99ce54d9afef87dd299cc8.jpg

take care all

Keith

Thanks for the likes and comments -always appreciated-bit more shipyard time as i need to order some more tongue and groove planking to finish lining out my garden workshop with the entryways/ ports being lined with walnut strip- also made up the carcasses for the crew hatches and skylights. The hatch towards the stern has been lowered in height as Occre still have both the same dimensions as with their Terror kit. The skylights will be altered from how Occre do them but not sure if a will repeat what i did with Terror's or try a different method.

Erebus_hatches_21.jpg.b1cd6be70ff67adda9783a14ef848606.jpg

Erebus_hatches1.thumb.jpg.85ad40264c443a5836db41e5b9c0a36a.jpg

walked into the living room the other night to find our cat stretched out upside down on the admirals legs looking very content!

Cozy_cat1.thumb.jpg.57c0606900bdddd3a05e0d4cd126abe5.jpg

Take care everyone and keep up the good work.

Keith

I always enjoy your updates, Keith. Clean work shown every time. Cats are such goofy creatures but they are a joy to share life with. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, clearway said:

felines are definitely missing a chromosome 

I like to think that when 'House Cats' were on God's design table as a joke some of the Angels switcherooed some of the plan's features. Of course God would have caught the changes but He probably laughed and said, why not and let er roll. 

Edited by Keith Black

• 1 month later...

finally back in the shipyard after battling a rather nasty viral chest infection for a month! have decided to replace the ply capping rails on the bow section with some basswood -made overlarge and will be sanded to shape when fully dry. Also cut out apertures in the stern for the windows (occre just suggest painting the back of the glazing) still need cleaned up and the interior woodwork will be painted black.

Erebus_bow_capping1.thumb.jpg.19ca855addb0b83f1dac7b76042fc9e7.jpg

Erebus_stern_windows1.jpg.66bb79a0400c7c8eea3b29725edbf0d2.jpg

glad to be functioning properly again!

take care all

Keith

Keith, I wondered why you weren't posting. Glad to see you're posting again, I always enjoy when you do. 

Thanks again for the comments everyone- today sanded the capping rails on the bows to near final shape and using some high tech equipment added the port side capping rail 😁. used a left over planking strip and kneaded it gently into shape using thumb and fingers.

Erebus_capping_rail1.thumb.jpg.c8da434a6ed504854fe00e129127a194.jpg

take care all and thanks for looking in.

Keith

23 hours ago, JFMJr said:

started my first build, the HMS Beagle a couple months ago

Thanks- i do have Occre's Beagle along with a copy of the anatomy of a ship book (obtained from a popular auction site at a far better price than you usually see it) and looking forward to seeing what i can do with her.

Keith

Thanks for looking in everyone- finally finished installing the capping rails with only the taff rail remaining to be installed. Again i didn't use the ply spray rail provided by occre and bent / clamped some planking stock around a container of the right diameter after soaking in boiling hot water for 20 mins, then left to dry for 24 hours - have placed it on the bows but not glued yet.

Erebus_capping_rail_21.thumb.jpg.42144f0febff96dd5b0770e21ef069d5.jpg

Thanks for the likes and comments and take care everyone.

Keith

Bit of a rarity today for Cumbria- actually didn't rain (still cold though)! Back with Erebus and fitted the iron banding/ gudgeons to the stern assembly as well as fitting the propellor- actually drilled the hole for the lifting hook in this one, didn't bother on Terror.

The brass was blackened using Birchwood Casey brass black.

Used Peco model railway track fixing pins as they are finer than the brass pins in the kit- and already blackened to boot😁

Erebus_stern_post_straps1.thumb.jpg.00b31aa24925cb29394b51ee850e074d.jpg

Erebus_propeller_installed1.jpg.55f0deb55295342730f3682a9647d21c.jpg

Take care all and thanks for looking in.

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the likes as always and looking in- have started the smaller of the two skylights using the existing carcass which is basically sound. First i took one of the shorter sides and removed the uprights for the roof then rebated and added acetate and a piece of thin strip so i could glue wooden frames to wood (think pictures explain better) - then moved to next longer side and repeated- when finished the window frames should support the roof. When the window frames are finished i will add some horizontal strips top and bottom to add strength.

Erebus_skylight_11.jpg.735bad789124472c3c8fd4d6d21e82ff.jpg

Erebus_skylight_31.jpg.c64cdacecf6136b875da6ab5ced4725b.jpg

Erebus_skylight_21.jpg.31de0bcb21c183c10996eae28afd7758.jpg

take care all

Keith

Edited by clearway
missed info

Work continues with the skylights and also finished the accommodation hatches (used walnut as opposed to the occre supplied veneer) and ye olde faithful Peco track pins for door handles. The smaller skylight is nearing completion and started on the bigger skylight. Also used Amati supplied cast elm tree pumps for the ones just behind the forward most hatch (occre shows these as skylights).

Erebus_elm_Tree_pumps1.jpg.6a50b1828dce3875d9169cf05e2af3cb.jpg

Erebus_skylights_21.thumb.jpg.d9d38e325bb7169bfbaf04436f7e7dd8.jpg

take care all

Keith

Thanks for the likes and looking in- yey the days are slowly but surely getting longer where daylight is concerned😁.In between last minute gardening jobs before spring gets here managed to do some more work on Erebus, the skylight for the captain's cabin is finished and the wardroom skylight just needs some sanding done. Also made the small platform between the hatch and skylight where the capstan will fit, and glued the fashion pieces either side of the transom. Have dry fitted everything made so far regards deck fittings/ hatches etc to see how it all looks.

Erebus_captains_skylight1.jpg.28d321fec4df414ac6092de1a3d653be.jpg

Erebus_skylights_31.thumb.jpg.1e0dde4780ef70e85d9d43f6eb4f6ec8.jpg

Erebus_fashion_pieces1.thumb.jpg.0664bff65600cd6b335c0c53752843c6.jpg

Erebus_bow_view1.thumb.jpg.7d68469cb12bc4a5c02bb94ebc7b0eb2.jpg

Take care all

Keith

What a surprise- after a few days of pleasant spring sunshine the wind and rain are back!  

Last couple of evenings have been spent installing the stern windows along with frames and planking- still needs a little trimming and a light sanding.

Erebus_stern1.thumb.jpg.bd45c62d441997655c853e9e70ba1a89.jpg

Take care all, and thanks for looking in

Keith

Thanks for the likes and looking in everyone- Erebus has her name on the stern😁- Occre did supply a nice etched nameplate but i wanted to keep her in the same vain as my Terror. Also the taff rail has been added.

Erebus_stern_21.thumb.jpg.fdabf8cb079199a48204571fa19bb914.jpg

Erebus_taff_rail1.thumb.jpg.c1746c805c0f938503587523d08c8a07.jpg

Moving to the bows the end of the bowsprit has had the end squared off and an new cap scratchbuilt as the occre one has a circular hole which is way to big for the mortice and tenon joint- the cap still needs sanded to shape and the hole for the jib boom widened.

Erebus_bowsprit1.thumb.jpg.346e34631aa881fba09316a00a511874.jpg

Erebus_bowsprit_cap1.thumb.jpg.fb383b3e0821cfe105e3dcdfb39b9161.jpg

Finally couldn't resist a photo of her beside my finished Terror- polar queens re-united!

Erebus_and_Terror1.thumb.jpg.f60273e6fefb043d7b20e6f7ea9bcacb.jpg

Take care all

Keith

Posted (edited)

What a glorious spring say today😁 though apparently it is supposed to rain all the rest of the week😞. Back with Erebus and have made a start on the windlass- like my terror i have removed the wooden knees and added the wrought iron ones actually fitted- on Terror i used two L shaped off cuts of ply from the ply fittings- this time i have used some brass strip salvaged from my scrap pile and blackened with Birchwood Casey brass black, the fastenings are yet once more cut down Peco track pins.

Also filed out the hole in the bowsprit cap for the jib boom and started on said jib boom (at least i already have all the spar dimensions from building Terror).

Erebus_windlass_cheeks1.thumb.jpg.bfa13fe9e3913380313b4914e43433a0.jpg

Erebus_jib_boom1.thumb.jpg.62622d9c7826687140800838fc7b6e55.jpg

On Friday last went down to the steam gala at Keighley can't believe its a year since last one....woooosh)!

Great Western Railway Witherslack Hall

Kwvr_gala_hall_class1.thumb.jpg.d77bddd3b29c78be0151e285e11d3ce2.jpg

Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway "ironclad" 

Kwvr_gala_LY_ironclad1.thumb.jpg.0595d2eee0747837a4b2703974739264.jpg

Take care all and thanks for looking in

Keith

Edited by clearway
typo

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for looking in- have been catching up with some 1/35 armour builds as a break from shipbuilding but have made the windlass barrel and added the ratchet wheels for the warping drum pawls to the outside of the cheeks - still need to fashion the warping drums though. The metal bitts atop the cheeks are made from brass strip worked with needle nose pliers and some washers. I think they added the metal bitts when they changed from rope anchor cable to chain as when anchored the chain would be looped over the bitts to hold it in place so metal would be more durable.

Erebus_windlass_barrel1.thumb.jpg.6c39f6f18c00337a720066073a63bc8f.jpg

take care all

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Put the 1/35 half tracks n trucks to one side and give Erebus some attention- anyone familiar with Occre kits will know the snap shut compartment trays for the fittings, well this afternoon the trays for Erebus and Endurance somehow slipped off the shelf under the worktops and split asunder on the floor in the same place !!@$$****! 

Back with shipyard tasks and have installed the warping drums on the windlass (still need stained/ varnished) and made a start on the bow plating- like with Terror i am using self adhesive copper tape as opposed to the aluminium sheets supplied by Occre.

Erebus_windlass_warping_drums1.jpg.122c67a3d4f1bbcbfb0cb1613e53141a.jpg

Erebus_bow_plating1.thumb.jpg.69cb32a8c1085e9ac5a980af62aab48d.jpg

Take care everyone and thanks for looking in

Keith