Builders of SMALL BOATS - Please Read This

We have had a few requests from builders of Small Craft to categorize their Build Logs to make finding similar vessels easier using the Advanced Search function.

The solution is to have the word "SMALL" in the Build Log Title, then you could Search for all the small builds like you can for PLASTIC, CARD, BOTTLE and RADIO by simply Searching for the word SMALL in the Title using Advanced Search.

Unfortunately it would mean a LOT of work by the Moderators to find and rename all the Small Craft build logs already in place (and even new ones), especially those that haven't named their Build Logs clearly, or some of the more obscure vessels we are unfamiliar with.

There's nothing stopping those builders who would like their boat categorized in this way from renaming THEIR OWN build logs with the word SMALL in it. Place the word AFTER the name of the vessel and builder's name as in this example :

Lobster Smack by Joe Bloggs - SMALL

Note that there must be Spaces in the positions as shown, or the Search won't find it properly.

You need to go to the FIRST POST of your build log, click on the Edit Button and then on the "Use Full Editor" Button. This brings up the Edit Box with your Title in it. Edit the title and click the "Submit" button.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 2 months later...

I just want to say I thought this idea was silly when MSW 2.0 first began but now that it's in full swing I see it's genius.  It really is awesome that I can easily find all the ship in bottle builds by just searching "bottle."  That and we still have one forum for all scratch builds so we all feel included.  If your a small builder and want your build found by other small builders I highly suggest you do what Dan is suggesting and change your titles.  Great thinking Mods....Now I really want to run a search for all the small builders out there.     

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously, I think the definition of "small craft" means a a model of a vessel under, say, 40-50 ft LOA. That would cover small working and pleasure boats, usually with one or two masts, rowboats, or powerboats with a small (less than 5-8) crew.

There are always exceptions-for example, would my 8 ft long pond yacht be considered a small craft? Probably.

Would my 3 inch long model of the Victory be considered a small craft? Probably not.

50 foot pilot boats? Probably could go either way

At least that's where I think this is headed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Harvey

There's some clarification in the discussion over here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3513-builders-of-small-boats-please-read-this/

Basically, the designation "small" has nothing to do with model size. It's based on the real thing.   So, "small craft" would be the definition...  a small smack but not a trawler, etc.  If you open a build log and are unsure, let us (the moderators and/or admins know.  We'll try to help sort it out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 7 months later...

I build small boats! like in the book from "warship to workboats" small working craft from around coastal areas,

some are as small as 2" the largest to date is "9" motorized naval launch with kitchens pattented rudder"

most are around 5" to 6", these are fit in between building larger R/C boats just for a break!

I think SMALL may be anything up to 8" to 10" but this is just a personal thought.

mick

Edited by iaincwil