CSS Alabama by Frank Burroughs - Revell - 1:96 - Kit #85-5621 - PLASTIC

Frank Burroughs

C.S.S Alabama, Revell 1:96  85-5621, is my next model now.  I found it on Ebay.  Two Men O' War were going to be my ladder to experience.  After thinking it over, my time would be better served with a greater challenge.  I can give the two other model kits away to a kid who wants to get started in ship model building. 

I bought these two books to get started with:

CMS Alabama: Builder, Captain, and Plans by Charles Grayson

Wolf of the Deep: Raphael Semmes and the Notorious Confederate Raider CSS Alabama by Stephen Fox

What is the difference between CSS and CMS?

So, the plan is to build three 1/96 scale plastic models after finishing Charles W. Morgan whaler.

CSS Alabama, USS Constitution and then Cutty Sark before my first wooden kit.

The CSS Alabama, Revell 1/96 scale, has arrived from Ebay today.  It is the 1961 kit.  A quarter of the parts are off the sprue. I am defiantly raffling this completed model off at the local weed shop!  Still, for what was paid, I am happy.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Probably a misprint.

On another tack, regarding this particular ship.

I wish that someone would make a good accurate plastic kit of the  CSS Alabama but half the size of the huge Revell kit. Big enough to super detail it, but not too big to take over the living room!

Edited by NoelSmith

3 hours ago, NoelSmith said:

On another tack, regarding this particular ship.

I wish that someone would make a good accurate plastic kit of the  CSS Alabama but half the size of the huge Revell kit. Big enough to super detail it, but not too big to take over the living room!

It’s not a kit, and it’s not the Alabama, but Seawatch Books has a monograph for The Purpose Built Confederate Blockade Runner Hope 1864 that comes with plans and templates which can be easily be rescaled to whichever scale you want, for $70.

I have a couple of books from Seawatch Books and the actual monographs explain how the author built the model really well.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

9 hours ago, NoelSmith said:

half the size of the huge Revell kit. Big enough to super detail it,

Super detail at 1:192 ?   That would be interesting to see on any model ...

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Upgrade Kits CSS Alabama model kit revell 1/96

Being this is my second model, a accurate model is not as important as learning.  However if one or two might add greatly to the model.

Revell CSS Alabama 1:96 - set of 434pcs CNC walnut blocks and Clamp of Deadeyes

Revell CSS Alabama 1:96 - set of brass guns for kit

Revell CSS Alabama 1:96 - set 60x wooden blocks, hooks, eyelets, ropes for guns

Revell CSS Alabama 1:96 - set of 11 pcs profesional ropes and chains

Any worth the money?

Posted (edited)

Grandpa Phil.....It's not a kit and it's not the Alabama!   That book you refer to about the CSS Hope sounds very interesting.    I will have to look it up now that you have piqued my interest.

I recently acquired Andrew Bowcock's book CSS Alabama, The Anatomy of a Confederate Raider. A very comprehensive treatise on the ship with lots of plans inside and loads of information about the build of the ship.

Gregory........A 1/192nd scale Alabama half the length of the 1/96th scale Revell kit would still be quite a reasonable sized model to detail up, and probably about the length of a PC keyboard I would guess.

Edited by NoelSmith

Stated work on the model yesterday.  Working on a 1/96 scale model is better for my hands.  Decided to buy as many after-market upgrades as possible.  No sense in making money and not spending whats left over needs.  Wants come next, right!

Weathering videos have conflicting choices.  The kit instruction has me using turpentine.  Any rule of thumb when using acrylic model paint washes to simulate rust, salt and other weathering?  I need to do the best job possible with what I have.  

Not going to make this model historically accurate by cutting new gun ports and what not.  Wooden mast and spars are for the next model.  So is making my own rope and sails.  One step at a time

With acrylic paints I use water to thin.

Turpentine is for enamels (oil based paint).

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Just decided not to weather the ship hull.  Several thoughts brought me here.  The copper hull looks great after painting it.  A lot of firsts for me have been taken on with this build.  Too many ways to simulate weathering the hull to choose from.  In the end I decided to weather the next build, USS Constitution.

On 9/10/2023 at 6:32 AM, Frank Burroughs said:

What is the difference between CSS and CMS?

When you check out the link to the book it states "C.S.S. Alabama" on the book. I think the guy that sells / sold it just misspelled it in the description. There is no reference or detail found about a C.M.S. Alabama, only about the C.S.S. Alabama. Funnily even to see in the auction itself

CSSalabama.thumb.png.81faa7104838c2c76b0b4d0f6f4f615f.png

I don´t even know any reference about American ships with the CMS. AT this time there were only three prefixes known

USS - United States Ship (for commissioned ships of the "United States")

CSS - Confederate States Ship (for commissioned ships of the Confederate States / Southern States)

MCS - Military Sealift Command (civilian manned ship "in service" and not in "commission")

That´s all I could find and please, I´m not a historian or American, so this statemaents are made in the belief that all might be historical correct but it is not my onw knowledge but what information I found online.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Frank:   I have made the Alabama twice already now, and it is a fine model.   The enhancement after market parts you refer to are from Radimir's company on EBAY and I have ordered a ton of stuff from him over the years,   everything is first class from him. 

The clamps slip over the bottom deadeye unit and through the channels, and can be fastened to the hull in several different ways.   He has printed instructions available for all his parts. If you can't find the link, write to him and he will provide it. 

Between the after market parts and making the ratlines from scratch, these big plastic models come out fantastic, and for that reason, I have not ventured into wooden models....Too late in the game for me to spend another fortune on new armamentarium! lol....

Radimir's Hismode, is top notch.  He attached a bunch of instructions in a couple emails. A have three more plastic kits for him to outfit in the future.

CSS Alabama is a joy to paint.  A few firsts for me have me excited.  Forming the mast and yards out of wood is perhaps the hardest.  Ratlines should be easy, but time consuming.  I did ordered the sails from Hismodel.  Making them look real should be fun.  The books about the ship are interesting.

I want to do both wood and plastic kits and scratch builds.  Now that the confederate ship is a going concern, Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Combo Series dory starts.  In for a penny, in four a pound

Allrightythen, the wood and tools are here.  The grooved board jig is being made this weekend.  My question now is do I copy the plastic parts?  Or, do I use these measurements:

image.thumb.png.dccf6f9c8f0a818efe8a7bff325f9516.png

Taken from "CSS Alabama: Builder, Captain, and plans" by Charles Grayson Summersell

I think the latter is the better choice.

Frank, I would suspect the wood deck goes over the plastic for support. You will probably have to remove any plastic deck fittings, too. Can you get a copy of the veneer instructions to see what may be required?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hismodel replied promptly:

The best course of action is as follows:

1. put together all plastic parts of deck
  2. paint all parts protruding from the deck, such as hatches, etc.
  3. then glue the wooden deck to the plastic base
  4. only after that, glue the deck and hull together

On 4/21/2024 at 8:11 PM, Frank Burroughs said:

Hismodel replied promptly:

The best course of action is as follows:

1. put together all plastic parts of deck
  2. paint all parts protruding from the deck, such as hatches, etc.
  3. then glue the wooden deck to the plastic base
  4. only after that, glue the deck and hull together

These are just brief steps, we highly recommend to read the complete instructions on our website. There are also pictures for a better understanding of the procedure. All instructions on how to work with accessories, including veneer decks, can be found HERE.

HiSModel - Historic Ship Models
Make the best Model with HiSModel!

Visit our website and follow us on Facebook
e-mail: message@hismodel.com

Frank,

When you're ready, do open a log in the kit area for this model. 

Thanks,

Mark

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)