HMS Diana by Sizzolo - Caldercraft - 1:64

Really nice work on those boats with excellent detail. Looks to be a fantastic build log and  thank you for sharing with us. I look forward to your progress. Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Armed Ship’s launch finished!

I may revisit and touch up with some spots of paint at some point. Also might stick the furniture down as it’s all still moveable. 

Design-wise I used the original plan on previous page for the basic structure but took a lot of ideas from my visit to Chatham a couple of weeks ago (lots of boats there in the lifeboat museum), plus some ideas on how she might have been rigged from various other random sources. I expect I’ve got a few bits incorrect wrt the date certain bits might have appeared - she’s supposed to be around 1806. 

Style-wise I’m doing my usual ‘lived-in’ look, as if the object is in the middle of doing something or being prepared. I love the perfect and clean look of some models but personally I prefer the rougher look for a number of reasons - I like the aesthetic… making perfect clean pieces requires a lot more time and skill than I have, and… it allows me to hide mistakes!

Anyway - back to the frigate wales next. The boat took about a week with < > 3hrs per day. It would have taken a lot longer without using Vangard Models excellent 26’ launch kit as the foundation. 

IMG_5861.thumb.jpeg.34d01498033e7f077eeae82c0ce27886.jpegIMG_5870.thumb.jpeg.a013a16a0ce450ebfa1ac8dd94acb6c3.jpegIMG_5869.thumb.jpeg.50b45606c9470dec8d0759f89e8d27e2.jpegIMG_5868.thumb.jpeg.07bf46f0ae1f24b09a05b13da344c8e8.jpegIMG_5867.thumb.jpeg.22ab869e3f004d626164a42fd9b7334d.jpegIMG_5866.thumb.jpeg.86ca2f662bc14e52ffbc001e3e1ce787.jpegIMG_5863.thumb.jpeg.bbbe02d137a09b43c89088d641e593e7.jpegIMG_5862.thumb.jpeg.fab3490a2dfae304147b700125faf6b3.jpeg

Sizzolo I think that you do yourself a disservice. That 'lived-in' look takes a lot of skill to get right and your launch looks perfect.

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

Current Build

HM Cutter Trial 1790 Vanguard Models 1:64

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Many thanks for all the kind remarks everyone! It certainly helps keeps up morale! I have a couple of teeny details remaining to add, plus I might swap out the masts with accurate lengths in boxwood - currently she's carrying the equivalent of 3 main masts :)

Work has resumed on the ebony wales. The issue I hit with them was that I broke my production line by making a few, glueing them, then making a bunch more. The issue this generates is that inevitably you end up with slightly different angles and measurements in the top-and-butt planking which leads to gaps and undesired knock-on effects. To resolve the issue I'll have to create some unique planks to allow everything to align nicely.

There are two methods I could have followed for the wales - cut tonnes of completely identical top-and-butt planks, or more accurately, cut each plank individually and uniquely as per the very handy original planking plan (not many ships have their own external planking plan). So for Starboard I'm going for a bit of both (lots of clone planks and some unique planks to fill the difference in my plank generation). On Portside I will likely make every plank uniquely as it will be mentally more satisfying (but take forever no-doubt!).

wrt my research at the National Archives, I found gold. Well - lots of old mould and smelly papers but - some really useful information. For fun I dug up some old 'prize papers' which had to be viewed in the map room. I took a few pictures so I could do my reading and interpretation without the time limit. I didn't find documents referring to Diana in the box but it would have taken me more time than I had to open every package -they're extremely delicate and hard to read.

image.thumb.jpeg.dbf30f4658ac50b2575e293df133e207.jpeg

Also I managed to get the captain's logbook of the period I'm modelling Diana in (1806). They are such fun to read - Now that I have pics I intend to go to my favourite pub, order a decent bottle and do the transcribing. I photographed every day in August as that is when she apparently carried Sky sails (aka sky scrapers) which I intend to model. I think Diana at this period would look fantastic with these extended sails, all studsails out, plus the built up barricades, and be a nice example to show the community the ship outside of her original appearance normally modelled.

IMG_1035.thumb.JPG.91767cf2b4aa1fa9a4d5d4f186fd017c.JPG

Finally I confirmed the details in Gardiner's 'The Heavy Frigate' by finding the source information for armament in 1806.

18060809-Ordnance1.jpg.a0d138c454ececac3cf66898b9bb77da.jpg

I read this to mean in Apr 1806 she had the original 8x 9lb Cannon on Qtr Deck replaced by 32lb Carronades.(nice to notice that her original 9lb were of the long type).

Previously she received an additional 4x 24lb carronades on the qtr deck in 1794, and 2x 24lb on the focsl. So - in 1806 she would have looked quite interesting. I was hoping this might be the case, hence needing to confirm with the original sources.

17940514-Ordnance0.thumb.jpg.eb45ebe4daf8f8943eff21e0126623c6.jpg

Edited by Sizzolo
extra pic and minor edits

Hi Sizzolo,

Just a heads up, in 1806 Diana would have carried a built-up forecatle this was an Admiralty directive (I can dig out the reference), she still carried this in 1813 as per the photo below. Not as aesthetically pleasing in my view.  Also note 8 QD ports. Obviously your build and decisions, just adds to the mix of info.

Glad your National Archives visits are finally bearing fruit.

Gary

IMG_1847.jpeg

Ah that's fantastic Morgan - I've never seen that painting! I was just pondering on how to colour her (instead of studying for a tricky interview tomorrow.. . . gulp) so this helps a lot.

I might keep some of the style of her earlier blue and red striping though and theorise that perhaps she eventually was normalised with black siding after 1806 perhaps. The RMG plans I showed on page 1 of this blog very closely match your painting so that's a relief. It also underlines the commentary in Gardiner's book about a missing QD port.

The plan was dated 18 May 1808 so, possibly she received the additional port on the forward part of the QD after this point. All very interesting! Thanks again for the reference - I'll have to look for more Diana paintings now and possibly buy a full scale print.

Diana had 14x 32 on QD and 4x 32 on FC fitted in Jan 1812 so the painting likely shows her in her final, standardised, bleak state. It might make logical sense then if I stick to my 'transitional' period display with weird sails, a mix of 32's and 24's, some old flashes of red and blue paint on the sides.. . should look nice.

It's nice to see the carvings on stern and bow survived, according to the painting.

22 hours ago, Thukydides said:

I am jealous of your ability to go visit the archives

I must be v careful of what I commit myself to but I’d be more than happy to pull some specific records for you next time I have a slot scheduled in the archives’ reading room or map room.

Unfortunately I probably now have all the info I need for the time being wrt HMS Diana but I imagine I might need to return there in future to get my sails built accurately (sails/masts/yards).

Give me a (short) shopping list of specifics and I’ll take some pics. Would save you the air fare! I might even consider a special journey if I’m at a loose end as it’s a lot of fun to pull the records of something nobody has seen for centuries (although the trains have been very professionally and reliably stuffed up every time). I tend to heal my travel tension with a decent pint while mulling over the photos when I get back to my local pub.

Edited by Sizzolo
Typo

1 hour ago, Sizzolo said:

I must be v careful of what I commit myself to but I’d be more than happy to pull some specific records for you next time I have a slot scheduled in the archives’ reading room or map room.

Unfortunately I probably now have all the info I need for the time being wrt HMS Diana but I imagine I might need to return there in future to get my sails built accurately (sails/masts/yards).

Give me a (short) shopping list of specifics and I’ll take some pics. Would save you the air fare! I might even consider a special journey if I’m at a loose end as it’s a lot of fun to pull the records of something nobody has seen for centuries (although the trains have been very professionally and reliably stuffed up every time). I tend to heal my travel tension with a decent pint while mulling over the photos when I get back to my local pub.

That is very kind of you, I will definitely send you a short list (I just have to whittle it down first :))

Edited by Thukydides

On 11/19/2023 at 3:53 PM, Sizzolo said:

Something to do whilst waiting for hangover to leave: box made out of one of the planks from the Vanguard Models kit:

IMG_5860.thumb.jpeg.d9ddf90652491b158d5f8472bc77f676.jpeg

I’m v happy with the way the cannonball box turned out. For those interested, they are cheap 1.5mm copper balls from Amazon, shaken up in a plastic zip bag with steel blackener liquid, dried then poured into the box and touched with a couple of drops of extra thin superglue. The glue wicks around all the balls, setting them in place and adding a nice little gloss touch to them. 

No major progress today due to spending hours watching Napoleon at the cinema, although I have thought of some theories to create full sails - hope to run a test tomorrow. Pics likely on Friday. 

Another brief distraction - a very rough test sail (prototype). I had some ideas about how to portray sails in the wind, dented by taught rigging. The test was reasonably successful.

Essentially I carved a mould out of balsa wood including trenches for the rigging, wrapped it in clingfilm, then placed over the sail and weighed it down in the correct places. Then I gave it a few coats of diluted wood glue. It needs a final coat of Matt varnish spray (I find cans of Windsor and Newton Matt spray from the art shop most handy as I can avoid using my airbrush… and it’s designed for spraying canvas anyway).

The final sail is quite solid but has decent simulated ‘movement/energy’ which is what I’m looking for. 

IMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.3eb37b504656c210a474cbb0288096f6.jpeg
IMG_5872.thumb.jpeg.65580b839714fe3f94ec983787645210.jpeg

Sizzolo,

The sail looks like a white ensign. Was a flag woven or painted on sails on the actual British ships?  Guess they could not fly a false flag to fool the enemy with the sail giving them away.   😁     Either way it is a first for me

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

4 hours ago, allanyed said:

Was a flag woven or painted on sails on the actual British ships? 

Oh it’s definitely a flag but I had it laying about and wasn’t planing on using it on a ship so just used it to test my ‘windy-sails’ theory. It’s of the same material as what I intend to use for my sails. 😀

I may paint up a scale figure tomorrow and put it in future pics so one can get a better idea of scale. 

Go for it but have you considered that the material hugely out of scale and replace it with silk span?  If not for this project, maybe the next one, consider buying the $5 booklet on sail making by David Antscherl at Seawatch Books.   The sails are FAR more realistic and to scale.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 11/25/2023 at 5:18 PM, allanyed said:

Go for it but have you considered that the material hugely out of scale and replace it with silk span

Thanks Allan. I did some research and knocked up a quick test using some tissue-like material I already had (could be silkspan or modelspan - no idea!). Seems to take shape quite well from the same mould. I’ll do a load more testing before committing one way or the other but I expect that will be next year sometime. I also bought the book - cheers!

1/64 marine now painted to help indicate the scale better of bits n pieces. 
IMG_5878.thumb.jpeg.88e57ad39bdd779c776e25632e9a85b5.jpeg
IMG_5880.thumb.jpeg.62aff700156af2d1bc4c5d48a16478ec.jpeg

Edited by Sizzolo
Extra picture

Starboard wales now complete (no pic - the pic above gives enough of an idea). I think in future I'll use boxwood as it's much nicer to work with. Ebony is a real pain, not very forgiving and the glue stinks! Also, I'm going to end up with a difference of colour between the bulwarks and the wales but I can live with that. I'm not looking forward to having to do the whole thing again on Portside.

It was worth the time though - I just would rather not have to spend weeks on them and break umpteen number of teeny drills. They're also not extremely secure with cyanoacrylate (CA) glue either so if the hull accidentally hits the floor when I'm working on some fiddly parts I'm expecting a few of them to fall off. Switching to boxwood will make me much happier! 

To add some variety to my workflow I think I'll finish the whole of the starboard lower hull planking, including the coppering (which I'm really looking forward to). At the end of that I might feel like doing ebony wales again on the port side!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to let you all know the build is still progressing! Unfortunately no pics yet as I want the next pics to be impressive! I’ve been planking under the wales to the waterline in boxwood and it’s looking much neater. I find once you get into your battle rhythm with a build things start getting good.

I’ve increased the drill size for the trenails by one measure and there’s a good improvement in progress with no noticeable reduction of quality (I.e I’m not sitting there trying for 5min with every single trenail to squeeze an 0.6mm nail into a 0.65mm hole only to have it plink out of my tweezers across the room never to be seen again. It’s easier with an 0.7mm hole. Each plank has over 20 holes so you can imagine why progress is slow). It’s worth noting here - the HMS Diana models at the National Maritime museum, crafted at the time of the original ship likely for the first captain and admiralty… no bloody trenails. 

I was considering ripping out the upper wales that have the large visible nails but I think I’ll leave as-is. Port will be cleaner. 

I spent today cutting the planks for the counter out of ebony. They’re looking pretty good so far (they will likely fit). I cut them as pre-shaped pieces rather than risking bending them in two dimensions again (ebony fights this). I’m getting better at realising where things could mess up, slowing down and re-assessing my approach before cutting wood. 

Other noteworthy progress is that I’ve been studying both the captains log and the Boudriot 74 gun ship book 4 to get a better idea of what sails would be aloft. I need those sky sails up, and interestingly studdingsails could occasionally be set alternated, port on main mast, stbd on fore for example, not a symmetrical ‘all stunsls’ as one might imagine! Fore-topsl had its wind stolen too so that will be interesting to model! Also, don’t get me started on where the stay sail were set! I spent a good few hrs looking into that. 

Finally, I’ve decided it’s probably best to do all black hull planks on the upper in ebony too or it’ll look weird with altering textures and finishes. I’ll avoid this in the next model! (HMS Sophie).

Plus - there won’t be any blue or red hull paint. I can’t find any evidence of it in 1806 but there’s plenty of pictorial evidence of black/white/yellow stripes. The overall objective of this piece is for the sails to draw the eye so the lack of colour shouldn’t matter.  Hopefully the eye then closes in and notices the thousands of bloody trenails! I’m planning on gold leaf for the rear decoration though so that should look quite fancy. 

Sizzolo, do the plans call for top and butt planking as you show (or anchor stock if I am seeing it wrong in the photo)   Either way it is SUPER that you included it, and impressive if the kit did show it in the instructions.  WELL DONE!!  

Allan

On 12/24/2023 at 1:56 AM, allanyed said:

do the plans call for top and butt planking

Hiya! Merry Christmas. Yes, according to the external planking plan (rare which is why I’m trying to follow it to some extent) the few rows under the four main wale rows replicate the lengths and patterns of the wales. It’s easy to see in the full size print I have in my wall but you can probably see it in the hi def version which is available on open source - or this low Rez pic from me. 

You’ll see in the pic a gap between the planking patterns - this is where the dimension shifts between upper and lower. The main wale is repeated but you can see the under-wake planks replicates the pattern. 

IMG_4245.jpeg

Edited by Sizzolo

8 hours ago, Sizzolo said:

hi def version which is available on open source

Thanks Sizzolo,

What is "open source" ?  Is this the Wiki Commons site or some other?

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

All starboard planking between waterline and main wale now complete. Under the waterline I’ll be using walnut as it will all be covered with copper plates. The missing trenails above the waterline will be added when I make a new batch of nails (a v tedious process involving syringes and the pile drill).

For the keen eyes - yes, a couple of minor nit picky errors on the stern plank arrangement. I hope to learn from this and not repeat in the next build! A lot of the fun of these builds is the craft learning and up-skilling over the years. 
IMG_5985.thumb.jpeg.d7e0f59bbedb14fb40973db0fa081d20.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update today wrt the ships’ launch (armed). I went to the (uk) national archives today and found the original navy standing order for launches to be double banked (telling me I need to knock up a load more oars!).

IMG_1375.thumb.jpeg.3f14a6758082e5ad06256b82c0567f1e.jpeg

Not sure if I mentioned previously but I’m also going to replace the temporary masts and sail on the launch with silkspan, as per previous recommendation. I did purchase a small amount of 1940’s drafting cloth for a test but, I think that’s still out of scale for 1/64 (but may be good for 1/48 perhaps). It might be useful if I post an example of all three in a separate thread to help future planners. 

Your research continues to impress!   Good to know about the launches after 1783 which I THINK is the year shown in that paragraph.   

Great find.

Allan