rolltop desk by kgstakes - FINISHED - 1/4 scale

First thank you all for commenting on my desk.  Greatly appreciated.  Some asked if I would do a build log on how I built the desk.  I have pictures of some of the steps I did to build it but I also have a short video of how I did the mortise and tenon joint on my tablesaw (proxxon -- I know, may be a bad word here but I've been very happy with mine and it's done almost everything my big tablesaw can).  Anyway, getting off track.

First pictures are of the stiles and rails for the drawer stacks and the back panels.

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4183.JPG

IMG_4185.JPG

Next is assembling the drawer stacks for the back panel and front "skirt" (the curved piece in front that you put your feet under) -- where you sit.

The back of the drawer stacks (outside) panels have a dado down the back to accept the back panel.  Sorry some of these pictures have my other 1/12th scale miniatures to show the scale of the desk.

Have to mention here,  before assembly, I routed all the edges that would be shown to form a bullnose (complete round over edge).  Hope that makes sense.

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

Next is the drawers (which I'm sorry no pictures of how I built them but I'll try to explain it.   The sides and front all have a dado on the bottom edge to accept the bottom.  Then the sides have dadoes to accept the back and the drawer front has dadoes on each side to accept the sides.  Glue it up and slip the bottom in from back and just glue at the very back of the bottom piece.  Floats in all the other dadoes.  

I have sense made a jig for my table saw to do box joints and that is what I use to build my drawers, boxes, etc. from now on.

Will included a picture of the box I made with box joints so show that as well.

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4231.JPG

Closed box.jpeg

Open Box.jpeg

Next the the desk top itself.  No pictures of it just glue stock up and size and then round over the edges and same as all the others (bullnose). 

Then comes the tricky part.  And I'll admit, it took me a few attempts to get something to work and that is the sides of the roll top.  Not pretty in these pictures but when working with small curves you have to do what you have to do.  Besides, in the end most of the "ugly" is hidden with the inside frame work for the cubbies, etc.  Also, at this time I made up the back upper panel as well.  The panels in the side panels do set in dadoes.

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG

Next comes the tambor.  Luckily when I was working in a cabinet shop and done a few full size ones for myself, I knew how these tricky things go together.

To make the tambor, I would route a bullnose on a large piece of wood and then set my table saw up to rip the piece off the thickness I wanted for the tambor pieces.  And do this over and over and over and over, you get the idea until you have enough strips for the tambor plus a little.  Then take some (for the model) some very light cloth.  spray contact adhesive on it and lay out all the tambor pieces and spray the back of them as well.  (tip: tape all the tambor pieces right side up and then flip to spray contact adhesive).  When you can touch it and not "sticky" very carefully lay the tambor pieces on the cloth and use a roller to get good adhesion.  then trim to fit and there you go.  (more or less).

Should of taken pictures of this whole operation but I'm sorry I didn't.  Just the finished result.

IMG_4301.JPG

Edited by kgstakes

Then comes the handles and cubbies inside (make what you want).  Finish sand everything and stain and finish to suit.

I will mention here that all of my tenons I used a sled on my table saw and made multiple passes to get the size tenon I wanted.  Dado set would be nice.

Anyway, here is a picture of my sled on my table saw.

Love to put the video of how I do them on here but not sure how or if we can.

IMG_4270.JPG

33 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Which company produces this kit? Your work is beautiful and very precise.

Yves

This isn't a kit.  I took full size plans and scaled it all down to 3"=1'  made my own materials list.  Followed the plans (somewhat) and basically built it from scratch.

36 minutes ago, kgstakes said:

This isn't a kit.  I took full size plans and scaled it all down to 3"=1'  made my own materials list.  Followed the plans (somewhat) and basically built it from scratch.

Sorry for asking you that silly question. I was misled by the assembly sheets that you showed at the beginning.

You definitively have some incredible skills with working wood.

Yves

2 hours ago, kgstakes said:

I did the mortise and tenon joint on my tablesaw (proxxon -- I know, may be a bad word here but I've been very happy with mine and it's done almost everything my big tablesaw can)

Proxon, schmoxon... the brand of saw make no difference at all, all they do is spin a blade on an axis... Yes, some do it better than others, but no matter how good the saw is, it still comes down to the skill of the operator....

And you sir are an artist with a saw....

Very well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Wow, incredible work!  Really nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)