Hello from Lower Franconia, Germany

Macika

Hello there,

Let me start by saying how glad I am about finding this site! There is an amazing amount of reference and learning material to go through here and the general feel of the entries is above averagely friendly, as well. Thank you for setting this up!

I'm a plastic kit modeller (mainly AFVs) with several years of building experience under my belt but as I read this has no value in the wooden ship building world :D To add on top of that, I also struggle with the nomenclature (stern, bow, etc.) so it'll be a challenging mission.

I absolutely love wood as a building material but I lack the tools and mainly space for larger projects like furniture building so I figured boat models are a good compromise.

I went through the mandatory posts here about selecting my first kit and I was wondering if there is maybe an alternative way to what was described (yeah, right, smart boy!). For me, the most intimidating part of a build would be the planking and overall hull building so I was considering the following options:

• buy one of the beginner kits => probably the priciest option
  • buy one of the knock-off far east models from Ebay/Amazon => copyright infringement and all doesn't really fit me
  • start with a plan and scratch something really simple like a rowing boat => limited planking but enough to get me started?

Do you think scratch building really simple models is something worth considering at this stage? If so where to get suitable plans and most importantly how to determine what materials to use (wood type, thickness, etc.). I was thinking about getting a few sheets of 4mm planks and an assorted set of 0.5mm veneers to begin with.

On a medium to long term sight I'd like to build something like Amati's J Class kits. Which brings me to my next question: What other kits are available for similar builds?

I have lots of questions to ask but I'd try to get the answers by study first.

Thank you for having me on board! 🫡

Cristian

Welcome Cristian!

I've only been on this forum a short while but your post reminded me of a book I purchased years ago: 'American Ship Models and How to build Them' by VR Grimmwood. (https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=american ship models and how to build them&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-topnav-_-Results&ds=20)

Definitely old school (published MCMXLII) but I suspect just as good an introduction to basic scratch building today as it was back then. I don't think there were any kits at all when the book was published so if a person wanted to learn how to build a ship model they didn't have much of a choice!

I suspect, though, that most people would be better off starting with one of the novice kits.

Hi Macika, welcome! You've probably seen this elsewhere here, but the Model Shipways beginner kits (in order, the dory, the sailing pram, and the lobster smack) are very reasonably priced, well-made, and have detailed, very useful instructions. There are also a lot of build logs for them, which is extremely helpful as you go along with the build. Midwest also has some reasonably-priced small vessels that seem to come together into nice models. Even a small rowboat can be surprisingly complicated to scratch-build well, and a good beginner's kit would also help with learning the terminology.

:sign:

This is the place to be, you will find lots of crew  members here that will go out of  their way to help. Sorry  I don't have any advice on  first  models  lol , but lots do. Welcome to the crew.

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Wilkommen, Cristian! 

Whatever you choose to build, you need to have a passion for it. Otherwise your motivation will diminish rapidly. Look at the range on the market (not elaborate 100-gun ships, but more modest subjects and choose on that appeals to you. Look at the Vanguard model line or Model Expo to begin with. There are some simple but challenging possibilities for you. Once you have built one or two models from kits you can assess whether you are ready for scratch building or not.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Welcome to MSW, Cristian.   Basically, start "small"... no masts or at most one.  Get a good kit (not a rip off with while usuallly have bigger issues than complexity such as "fit" and "finish".    

Also, look for a copy of zu Mondfeld's  Historic Ship Models.  While there are some errors in it, it is a good reference to period ships, how they were built, fitted out, and rigged.  It's a pretty much general purpose book and specific to any particular vessel.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Moin moin, Christian!

You can absolutely start out by scratch-building smallcraft, such as skiffs, prams, etc., if that's something that interests you There is a wealth of plans available for such craft both online and in books and magazines. Many of those plans can be had for free. Besides wood, card is also an excellent medium for such models. As just one example of what can be accomplished with card, some plans from a book, and a bit of determination, here's a picture of a Bolger sailing pirogue I built years ago.

image.jpeg.ee2770d724ec66222069783c03748782.jpeg

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@Jsk That's a reasonably priced book to have even if it'd turn out this is not "my" hobby. Thanks for the suggestion!

@JacquesCousteau Indeed, these kits are mentioned in several discussions but despite the fact that it actually contains three kits, the 100 EUR+ price point is a bit steep for a first try. Nonetheless, a valid suggestion! Thank you!

@druxey The more I think about this, the more I agree with you that starting with a kit might be the better option. Thanks!

@mtaylor You make a valid point about quality of rip off kits. Something I haven't thought about, thinking "it's just a sheet of wood". Thanks for the insight and the book suggestion!

@ccoyle Nice little build! After some more consideration and while I haven't put down the scratch building idea completely yet, the first model would most probably be a kit. Thank you for the encouragement, tough!

@Knocklouder, @Keith Black, @Jim Lad Thank you!

Some of you might be familiar with scalemates.com, an excellent database for plastic kits but which is somewhat lacking "our" genre. Is there an alternative where I can look up manufacturers, kits, reviews and maybe even prices?

Thank you!