Sovereign of the Seas by 72Nova - Airfix - PLASTIC

16 minutes ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Michael, is it a fiction of my imagination that the Sovereign had a small step ladder into the lantern, between it and the jackstaff?

I remember reading in Pepy’s Diary that for fun they’d bring noble ladies up into the huge lantern so that all could marvel at the sheer size of it.

I don’t see any trace of that, really, in the VdV port side drawing, though.

I have always wondered if they put the ladder there specifically for that occasion, for the ladies benefit.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Kirill I might add the same diamond grid to the lanterns over the existing color I have now and see what it looks like, but as far as opening up the panes?, probably not, yes the large lantern would be possible without much effort, but the gallery lanterns as molded are solid and would require too much effort so this was a compromise.

I still need to add the storied ladder, I bet it would hold 10 people after reading about it. The Vander Velde sketch showing the port side ladder leading to the port entry in intriguing also, I recall seeing only one modeller including this in their build.

Michael D.

Adding the diamond grid to the lantern really brought it to life!!, Aleene's clear gel tacky glue works very well for this, now on to the smaller lanterns. The ladder is just placed there for reference, but actually looks pretty good minus a landing.

Michael D.

20240522-165102.jpg

20240522-165956.jpg

Thanks  Michael, I've done somewhat the same in the past  using transparent colors and all look good, I was really tempted to do a black background with the gold leafed tulle.

Michael D.

1 hour ago, Ferrus Manus said:

The way I paint lanterns is to paint the fields of the windows yellow with white centers, to give the illusion that they're illuminated with light from the inside. Awesome job on the lanterns! 

That’s an interesting idea.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Good day,

Agree, they looks nice !!!

But strange, when read those stories about SOS lanterns - when a few people were able to be accomodated inside??? - for  one person may be there is sufficient room, but for more?

Posted (edited)

Well, I can tell you that the central lantern that Batavia Werf constructed for the Provincien was large enough for a grown man to stand comfortably inside.  The Provincien carried five stern lanterns.

SOS has one large central lantern.  It does not seem implausible to me that maybe three people could be inside there at a time.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

The decorations on the lantern are completed, I added the remaining knees, completed the decorations above the galleries and currently working the Ensign staff. The final figures atop the taffrail will be added much later on.

Michael D.

20240526-122346.jpg

20240526-123953.jpg

20240526-103831.jpg

20240526-103748.jpg

Thank you for likes, they are very much appreciated. I've wrapped up the work on the poop deck, outfitted the Ensign staff with cleats, the truck and final paint, added cleats to the deck and sides for the main braces and mizzen sheet etc. The focus now will be to finish dressing out the bulkhead beakhead, bowsprit and get that assembly installed.

Michael D.

20240527-151143.jpg

20240527-153938.jpg

20240527-151743.jpg

While the work continues on the beakhead bulkhead the scale chain arrived I had ordered for the rudder. The preliminary mockup is looking good with the pendant still left to do, the chain will be cut and a ring installed at the midway point to accept the hook of the pendant and the other end will be hooked below the gallery, whether or not chain was used, who knows?, but it looks like it belongs.

Michael D.

20240531-105340.jpg

I've completed one of the pendants, I tried to replicate how their rigged on the Royal George....I know a much later date, but I do love the detail and complexity of it, Overall, I'm happy with it, the rings could be a bit smaller, but geez their already 1.5mm so I'll just run with it. Thanks for stopping by.

Michael D.

20240531-183650.jpg

Dressing out the bowsprit is completed with the addition of the eye bolts for the horses, I will follow Lee's explanation and use two horses. My initial plan was to install the spritsail topmast yard brace blocks on the bowsprit, but they were used later on so I'll follow Paynes plate and run them directly to the range. Currently fabricating new catheads and adding the timberheads to the forecastle rail, still a lot pre fitting left to do before installing it for good, also completed the rudder chains. 

Michael D.

20240602-105312.jpg

20240602-105705.jpg

20240602-105009.jpg

20240602-104801.jpg

With the modifications to the beakhead bulkhead nearing completion, this is the final test fit of the bowsprit, once the eyes for the bowsprit shrouds are fitted and the sprit sail mast rigged, it'll be glued in. Cheers.

Michael D.

20240605-184245.jpg

20240605-184339.jpg

The rigging has officially commenced, 1st pair of shrouds are on, I used .20mm shroud laid line and 100wt tread for the serving. Scale wise I think looks pretty good.

Michael D.

20240607-093752.jpg

On 5/22/2024 at 8:14 PM, Ferrus Manus said:

The way I paint lanterns is to paint the fields of the windows yellow with white centers, to give the illusion that they're illuminated with light from the inside. Awesome job on the lanterns! 

I have painted the quarter and stern of a small-scale USS Constitution (1/196) by Revell.  I first sprayed black, then gave an overcoat of white.  Then, I took a small grit sandpaper and lightly sanded, exposing the black framework, scroll work and the name under the transom windows.  It really brought out the details!

Bill