Are these foot rests or something else?

Go to solution Solved by Chuck,

The below is a plan of a 35 foot shallop from RMG.  I have never seen the items in question and wonder if these are nothing more than foot rests on which the rowers can plant their feet for more support when rowing.

Allan

Shallopfootrests.JPG.2b9487e98ca2f700ed8fff357c244949.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• Solution

Stretcher boards.  Long boards sit in those "V"s which the rower then pushes against with their feet.

image.png

image.png

Allan, I'm embarrassed. I know I've seen round foot rails depicted before, I thought in Pinnaces or Barges, but this morning I can't find any examples. I'd say Chuck's nailed it except in this case it seems to be set up for two positions.

Also note the round foot rail for the aft thwart in this enlargement.

ZAZ716535ftShallopj0912g.thumb.jpg.d3ecc0b3536ced2ffcf003d6198b45e2.jpg

Drat, the forum re-sized it.

ZAZ716535ftShallopj0912gc.jpg.4a720422c563862201293e9ceef3764c.jpg

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Yes, those are for the stretchers, as Chuck has said. The double set of wiggly lines are a carriages for a small set of steps which presumably turn slightly.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a photo of a restored gig at Portsmouth (UK) which has angled footboards which can also be adjusted for length of leg. This footboard has three slots into which it can fit. 

Gig5.thumb.jpg.133056f3b2812778a84a41941943c861.jpg

George

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models

As a teenager I spent several summers at a Summer Naval School on a lake in Northwestern Indiana.  They had a fleet of  “Whaleboats”; heavy wooden double ended boats rowed with 6- 8 oars. One oar per rower.

During the stroke one’s butt was lifted off the thwart thereby transferring body weight to to pulling the oar.  The stretcher absorbed the reactive force from the stroke.  The stretchers in the sliding seat shells serve the same purpose except here the force comes from leg muscles.

In building my RN Longboat model, I included stretchers.

Roger