Square mandrels?

I have never seen "square mandrels" like those. It would seem that anyone requiring one would simply cut a stick of wood if they needed one or use a pliers suitable for bending the shape if need be. The mandrels pictured are somewhat odd, as well. They are probably intended for use by jewelry makers, but jeweler's or orthodontist's wire-forming pliers pliers are far more useful tools for ship modeling.

Wire rings are easily formed in exact sizes by wrapping the wire around the smooth end of a suitably-sized drill bit. A standard set of drill bits will provide a wide range of sizes. After wrapping around the shaft of the bit, the wire can be cut free with a diagonal cutting pliers and slid off the bit shaft. 

Jeweler's wire forming pliers are made in a variety of sizes, shapes, and styles and are quite reasonably priced. They can be found on eBay and in jewelry supply house and orthodontic instrument catalogs. See: Amazon.com : forming pliers

image.jpeg.7ccc96ce14ff12406317564c51395019.jpegImage result for round nosed forming pliers  Image result for round nosed forming pliersImage result for jeweler's wire forming pliers  db86c1e3d7fcf7be94c214bea8a74034.jpg  Image result for jeweler's wire forming pliers   How to make Wire Links with Wubbers Mandrel Pliers – Rings and Things

Edited by Bob Cleek

1 hour ago, No Idea said:

I've seen those, unfortunately they are gradient. I am after a stepped version as shown in my attachment.  I will use it for bending pieces into small square shapes for 3D metal model kits. I have other tools to do the job but, this would make things a lot easier.

6 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

I have never seen "square mandrels" like those. It would seem that anyone requiring one would simply cut a stick of wood if they needed one or use a pliers suitable for bending the shape if need be. The mandrels pictured are somewhat odd, as well. They are probably intended for use by jewelry makers, but jeweler's or orthodontist's wire-forming pliers-nosed pliers are far more useful tools for ship modeling.

Wire rings are easily formed in exact sizes by wrapping the wire around the smooth end of a suitably-sized drill bit. A standard set of drill bits will provide a wide range of sizes. After wrapping around the shaft of the bit, the wire can be cut free with a diagonal cutting pliers and slid off the bit shaft. 

Jeweler's wire forming pliers are made in a variety of sizes, shapes, and styles and are quite reasonably priced. They can be found on eBay and in jewelry supply house and orthodontic instrument catalogs. See: Amazon.com : forming pliers

image.jpeg.7ccc96ce14ff12406317564c51395019.jpegImage result for round nosed forming pliers  Image result for round nosed forming pliersImage result for jeweler's wire forming pliers  db86c1e3d7fcf7be94c214bea8a74034.jpg  Image result for jeweler's wire forming pliers   How to make Wire Links with Wubbers Mandrel Pliers – Rings and Things

Thanks for the reply and time you took to look all that up. I had already searched all those prior to posting though. Maybe I should have said that in my OP. If I can't find any I may just take those round ones to a file. Maybe I can spin my want into a need to convince my wife on a mini mill purchase. lol 

Edit: I use the round ones for Metal Earth kits and want some square ones to add to my collection of tools.

Edited by Dcox

36 minutes ago, Dcox said:

Thanks for the reply and time you took to look all that up. I had already searched all those prior to posting though. Maybe I should have said that in my OP. If I can't find any I may just take those round ones to a file. Maybe I can spin my want into a need to convince my wife on a mini mill purchase. lol 

Edit: I use the round ones for Metal Earth kits and want some square ones to add to my collection of tools.

No trouble. Google is my friend. :D Whenever I look up something like that, I always learn something new along the way, so whatever time I spend is time well spent.

Have you considered simply using some square metal bar stock, AKA "key stock?" It comes in many dimensions and types of metal and it shouldn't be  expensive if you go to a local machine shop and ask them to cut you six or eight inches of whatever size you want off of some they should have in stock. They might even let you just scrounge through their off-cuts scrap bin for a few bucks worth. All you'd have to do then was to fashion a handle for them or even just dip one end in some of that "dip and grip" plastic handle coating stuff. 

Edited by Bob Cleek

1 hour ago, Dcox said:

I use the round ones for Metal Earth kits and want some square ones to add to my collection of tools.

Fire Mountain Gems,a jewelry supply site, carries square mandrels. ( https://firemountaingems.com/search/mandrels ) The ones with the green handles in the picture are made by Wubbers.  They are excellent, but expensive  (up to $40).  

Mary Van Dahm

6 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Have you considered simply using some square metal bar stock, AKA "key stock?"

Good idea. I'll ask around. I haven't thought of keyway stock material, thanks.    I did post a new link to show exactly what I am looking in size range but square not round.

Square key stock in various lengths and assorted sizes is available at Brass Key Stock - Grainger Industrial Supply

Additional square bar stock, all types and cut to length at Buy Square Bar Online (onlinemetals.com)

This material is usually sold in one foot lengths from which lengths are cut off as needed, so I expect most any machine shop would have a supply of various sizes on hand and would cut you off a length priced by the inch. 

Edited by Bob Cleek

You can try to make your own stepped mandrels using square metal tubing.

McMaster-Carr has a wide assortment of metals and tubing sizes where each size slip fits into the next larger size. For example they have brass tubing stepped in 1/32 inch increments:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/rectangular-tubing/material~260-brass/

By getting and assortment of sizes, slipping them inside each other and soldering them together you can make a square mandrel like you are looking for.

6 hours ago, Dcox said:

Ok everyone I finally found what I was looking for, wish it went down to 1/16" though but, I can live with this and the best part it is cheap!  Thank you all for your input.

Whiteside 9810 Brass Set Up Gauges, 5 Piece Set - Router Bits - Amazon.com

Bingo! Ironically, when I first saw your question, this set immediately came to mind. I have had one for a long time and use them quite regularly, usually to set up the fence on table saws I want to rip to their dimensions, or multiples thereof. However, i mistakenly thought you were looking for something longer to replicate the length of the round ones with handles that you'd posted a photo of. At least now I have a collection of links to "brass bar stock" in my "favorites" file! :D 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...