HMS Peregrine by Gaz - Corel - 1:96 - first build

Good evening all,  

This is my first log and first ship as i delve in to the world of model ship building. I have a fair bit of Sci-Fi model building and painting behind me and i am hoping that I can bring that patience across to ship building. The model I have is the lovely HMS Peregrine by Corel, it is slightly bigger than i would have liked for a first ship, however, as it was given to me by a friend of the family that had lost patience and given up was not going to look a gift horse... 

So where am i at now? Well the model came with the hull already built and it looks although they had an initial crack at planking and that is where they gave up. I have spent the initial few hours organising the pile of jumbled up wood, translating the instructions from Italian and researching wood colors to allow me to identify the correct planks. This to my deliberate and need for organised structure brain was fun in itself. I have then spent a bit of time measuring and checking symmetry where i found that the hatches were 2mm off centre, so they had to come off, next comes removing excess glue and sanding the bow.  

Now this is where my first disagreement comes with the instructions which is telling me to fix the gunwales and planking before the decking. however, it would appear if I did this then getting a nice smooth deck flush with the planking will be nigh on impossible. So it looks like i will be going off piste, i will update later and tell you all if I regret or approve of this. Due to working away for weeks at a time the updates may be infrequent or splurges of progressive. 

Please see the photos attached of the ship so far and prior to fixing errors (you can see how off centre the hatches are), also my organised drawer of wood that I spent far too long doing. 

20240308_220307.jpg

20240308_220318.jpg

20240308_220336.jpg

20240308_220344.jpg

20240308_220359.jpg

That looks like a good start,

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

Welcome to MSW. Good luck on your journey here. I also came from the sci-fi plastic modelling world and while some of it translates, working with wood is a different beast and you will make a lot of mistakes along the way.

A few suggestions to help you get the most out of MSW and help you on your way:

1. Read all the other logs on your ship you can. Many will talk about the challenges they encountered helping you to avoid them.
  2. If you run into issues contact the authors of those logs, most are usually happy to help.
  3. Don’t only post in your log. Look around, see what others are doing and encourage them as well.
  4. Treat every step as its own project. You will never regret going too slow, but you might regret rushing through something. This is a marathon not a sprint. I have been working on my first build for almost three years and my only regrets relate to the times I decided it was good enough instead of going back to fix something.

Good luck

Log 2 - Further Preparation

Still in the prep phase and fixing errors before I head away with work for the next couple of week. Not a lot visually has changed, but most of my time has been spent sanding bulkheads and reading up on planking. I have also decided to plank the deck first as getting a tight fit in the corners after planking the hull would have proved difficult. Here I found my first couple of learning points, thanks to my predecessor builder. 

1. Don't add upper decks if you don't have to, as decking the lower or even measuring will prove difficult. 

2. 1mm out in one section can cause big issues further along. 

3. Check symmetry. 

Next stage when i get back is to cut the Rebbet line as per, my new favorite pdf "Simple hull planking techniques for beginners". Then planing the decks with 90mm planks spaced 30mm off (maybe not historically correct, but for a first build and my autistic brain, the symmetry makes me happy). I also have to repair the rear transom section uprights as they look far from correct. But that is all upon my return and I am looking forward to it. 

20240310_210200.jpg

20240310_210219.jpg

20240310_210240.jpg

20240310_210255.jpg

• 1 month later...

Warm welcome  to  the  family,  thats a  Super start,  I also had  this  kit  - it  was gifted  to  me  from an old  neighbour  after I tried  to  save  his  life  with chest compressions  after his  heart  failed,   anyway  as a  thank you  his  wife  gifted me  this  kit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1