HMS Victory 1805 by Darius359au - Artesania Latina - 1:72 - Cross-Section

Posted (edited)

I said when I got the kit that I would start the kit after I got close to the rigging stage on my Pegasus But I made a mistake and thought I'd see how the frames go together ,one thing lead to another so I've almost finished the framing😏😄

Parts are clearly marked and the youtube instructions are ok But some stages are in the wrong order after their editing ,it's also a prototype from the look of it but it is all there ,just needs some going back and forth in the video!

The Laser cutting is very fine and precise so little clean up other than cleaning the char and the small nubbins left after their cut from the sheet!

When i started I thought it seemed pretty flimsy but once you've fully built the side it's solid!

pictures are front on and Starboard frames finished! ,the gun port and entry port framing is separate and are attached to the dowels.

link to the whats in the box post

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6282.jpg

Edited by Darius359au

Good luck on your journey.     :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

I've planked the hold ,1st thing is to glue 2 2x5mm planks together to make a spacer between the keelson and the 1st plank to make the limber channels ,later on you make the boards!

So far no real issues other than I glued a couple of frames to the keel slightly askew ,(only around 1mm off square at one end),I glued the keelson to compensate for the keel and the inner planking's fine! ,should only need a minor tweak once i start the outer hull planking!IMG_6287.thumb.jpg.f8a0572ec1ebafc1bc4fd56c648e2ba2.jpgIMG_6286.thumb.jpg.037f685bc9c727db5cf31c2e5e321741.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6289.jpg

Posted (edited)

Working on the Riders ,pretty straight forward except you need to be careful with the parts for piece 13 - part 13B has one leg longer than the other and that's the one you glue to 13A ,(images showing the right and wrong way below)

12 is just 3 pieces but be careful notching the top to fit in place as they may break ,after a small repair and clamping the top in a vice to cut the notches it went much better😕😄

Test fitting went ok ,no real problems so their ready to go once i make the other pair and do some sanding.

Richard

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

Edited by Darius359au

6 hours ago, Darius359au said:

Just for fun here's a caparison between the corel 1:98 vs the Artesiana Latina 1:72 HMS Victory Cross Sections!

Very interesting! The AL version has a very pronounced tumblehome -- makes me wonder whether the two kits are based on roughly the same section of hull?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Very interesting! The AL version has a very pronounced tumblehome -- makes me wonder whether the two kits are based on roughly the same section of hull?

They are , it's basically the same main mast section! ,with a bit more accuracy because of scale and positioning for the AL version ,though the corel versions got the bands of heavy timbers in the hold!

I was actually thinking about this after I compared the 2 ,It wouldn't be too hard to add the details like the thickstuff especially if you had a small mill to cut through the risers!

Richard

Edited by Darius359au

Risers done and installed ,holes for the pump in the well done and mast step made and installed!

Next up is the pumpwell ,shot locker and hold platforms.

Waiting on some more glue and the AL Hardwood Dye/Varnish set -plans call for the Light Oak Varnish for unpainted wood and it looks good in the videos so we'll see

Richard

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

IMG_6305.jpg

Holds done and beams are in place for the orlop ,a word of caution the 2 port/starboard beams that run fore and aft on top of the well can be fitted the wrong way so they dont line up with the deck beams and the difference is subtle - you need to dry fit parts and double check the videos ,the kit seems simple but it can catch you out so some experience helps!

I'm at the stage now I need to make up my mind if I want lighting in the kit  ,once I install the orlop deck planks it wont be possible to do the hold.

Richard

IMG_6320.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

Nice work !!  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

I would  one day love to  do soemthing like  this  in 1/56    scale   as part of a  dio.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I would  one day love to  do soemthing like  this  in 1/56    scale   as part of a  dio.

OC.

It's comes with crew figures so you can show the "guns in action" but theres not enough to make a single gun crew and the figures are cast in metal and are horrible - their worse than early 1980's metal warhammer figures ,atleast those looked like what they were supposed to be!

I'm going to look around and see if I can find actual 1/72 Napoleonic englishnaval crew or maybe pirates repainted for stripped down gunners.

Posted (edited)

Lights are going in now I've got the AL LED Kit ,need to get the lights before I could install the Orlop deck.

I'm enjoying the build so far though they've made extra work for themselves in the instruction videos by installing the inner hull planks and the deck planks at the same time then masking the deck to paint the inner hull planking ,easier to paint the hull planks then install the deck.

Richard

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6337.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg

Edited by Darius359au
spelling

Posted (edited)

Made the wooden grates between the hold and orlop which pretty much confirms to me that the instruction videos were made with a prototype build for some of them - in the video showing how to make them their installed with no curve but in later video's their curved! ,anyways i've done my 1st curved grates with them😎

There's an issue with the led lights and the deck wood ,the woods translucent so the light shines Through it! ,fixed that with some soft metal sheet i use for straps and stuff in my armour models ,glued between the light and the wood!

Edit - added a picture with the grates in place.

Richard

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6340.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

IMG_6346.jpg

Edited by Darius359au
added photo

Looks like a very interesting project ! 

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

On 3/31/2024 at 8:04 AM, Darius359au said:

It's comes with crew figures so you can show the "guns in action" but theres not enough to make a single gun crew and the figures are cast in metal and are horrible - their worse than early 1980's metal warhammer figures ,atleast those looked like what they were supposed to be!

I'm going to look around and see if I can find actual 1/72 Napoleonic englishnaval crew or maybe pirates repainted for stripped down gunners.

I have come across  this  company  -

OC.

https://www.newcapmaquettes.com/Crew-Figures.html

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Darius359au said:

Thanks ,found pictures of the actual models and their pretty much the same as came with the kit ,though if i want crew i need to get something and try to make the best of it..

Not  many period   sailor  figures   around  at  the  moment  in 72nd scale  -  you would  think there   would  be  more.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Orlop planked ,then operator error occured - cutting the holes in the orlop well housing gave me issues ,there's no support under the planks other than at the ends and if you dont glue the planks edge to edge as well as the ends they will break as your cutting!

I've added a piece underneath which connects all the planks ,replaced the broken planks and re cut the holes ,the decks hidden once I add the well housing but it's something that can catch you out😕

Richard

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

Posted (edited)

HI Richard,

I hope the following sketch might help.  The upper well stanchions were tenoned into the top of the orlop beams and the bottom of the beams in the deck above.

The orlop and platform planks were often short pieces that sat in recesses along the upper edges of the orlop beam.   I am not sure if this was the case in Victory circa 1805, hopefully some member will have more information.   

Allan

Orlopbeamplankingandupperwellstanchions.JPG.a169c80c0361bfc09332c0989370cea2.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Been working on the orlop ,after the issues I had making the pump and mast holes in the upper well everything else went according to plan!

Hanging Knees need their iron work added ,gotta find my brass black for that.

The deck beams for the gundeck are built off model then glued in place which makes life a bit easier.

Richard

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

Posted (edited)

I realize the kit has the supplied parts, but the future and FWIW, the bulkheads over the well on the orlop were typically louvered or partially louvered in the upper portion rather than having completely solid bulkheads. I could not find any reference that the upper well area was made entirely with solid bulkheads on Victory but she (and other ships) may be an exception.    

Allan UpperWellinplace.jpg.160459911fe18c49b101927c9e23b70d.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Had a slight technical error with blackening the photoetch for the iron straps on the hanging knee's in the orlop ,not sure if it was how i cleaned them with just soap and water ,or if I left them in the solution too long or not long enough ,they looked ok when pulled them out but the blackening started flaking off when I put them in water to rinse.

Might scrub them then reclean them but add acetone after the soap and water clean ,(only used soap and water to wash them ,when I did the guns on my pegasus I cleaned them with acetone as well) ,or I may just prime and paint instead.

Gundeck frames are installed ,next is the iron straps and hammock battens and the first gunports get installed in the frame.

@allanyed I managed to find 1 picture of Victory's upper well and it's louvered!,as I'm a pretty mediocre modeler at best i dont think I'd be able to do it right! ,but i think this model would be a good base for someone to super detail it if they chose.

Richard

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

Richard,

If you are relegated to using brass, cleaning the assembled pieces with a solution of pickling acid is by far the best method in my experience.  If there are blobs of solder I will file off any excess first then soak in the acid batch.  Sparex #2 is one brand that works well and can be found on line.   Vinegar works but not nearly as well as the Sparex in my experience.  Once pickled rinse in water and dry then blacken.   

I find copper easier than brass in many situations.  It is easy to solder the pieces together, then clean with a file and/or steel wool followed by Sparex or try acetone.   They can then be fixed in place and then blackened with diluted liver of sulfur in situ with a small brush.  Rinse with a clean brush with water.   The diluted LoS will not stain the surrounding wood.

Allan