Keel holder/clamp recomendations

Go to solution Solved by Landlubber Mike,

Good morning. Can you old salts and most awesome model builders steer me to some good keel holder/clamp tools. I'm getting ready to tackle OcCre's Edurance (my first wooden ship) and I definitely want the proper tools for the build. I see that Model Expo offers their "Fair-a-frame" tool and it looks lke a handy tool for bulkhead installation but not sure if it will double as a keel holder for general construction. Any recomendations will be greatly appreciated. Btw, as a side note, pretty cool that they discovered Endurance's resting place, huh? A great testament to Frank Worsley's superb navigation skills as they found it based on his navigation notes.

"Hey! I think somebody just shot a torpedo at us!"

• Solution

I'm a big fan of the Amati Keel Klamper and the Hobbyzone Professional building slip.  You can probably build something similar to the slip (I did using MDF board and angle brackets) as well.

image.jpeg.54ad375881925d6d55cdf058809045dd.jpegimage.jpeg.5b74cbf3a7a9100d9b0cb28c07d3c17a.jpeg

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

8 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I'm a big fan of the Amati Keel Klamper and the Hobbyzone Professional building slip.  You can probably build something similar to the slip (I did using MDF board and angle brackets) as well.

image.jpeg.54ad375881925d6d55cdf058809045dd.jpegimage.jpeg.5b74cbf3a7a9100d9b0cb28c07d3c17a.jpeg

Ooo! I like the Amati clamp. Looks very sturdy and I especially like that it pivots allowing different construction positions. Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, Mike Shea said:

I'm getting ready to tackle OcCre's Edurance (my first wooden ship)

While you have an interesting kit, as this is your first build, you might want to consider setting it aside for now and get at least one or two high quality beginner kits such as the from the three vessel series at Model Shipways designed by master shipwright David Antscherl.   They will teach you techniques and more that will last a lifetime.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

22 hours ago, allanyed said:

While you have an interesting kit, as this is your first build, you might want to consider setting it aside for now and get at least one or two high quality beginner kits such as the from the three vessel series at Model Shipways designed by master shipwright David Antscherl.   They will teach you techniques and more that will last a lifetime.  

Allan

Thanks for your friendly advice, Allan. I appreciate your recomendations but honestly I have to say that I feel pretty confident about tackling this model. While it is my first wood ship model I have built quite a few model airplanes over the years so I'm pretty familiar with working with and shaping wood, spars, struts, etc. I know that there are many building techniques not applicable to wood airplane models as compared with model ship building such as rigging, planking, etc., but I'll definitely do my research/practice before tackling something beyond my skill level. Ha!, if I get really stumped on something I'll for sure be asking you guys lots of questions for advice and techniques. I've also acquired quite a bit of reference material on the Endurance/ imperial Trans Antarctic Expedition (which I consider part of the enjoyment of the build project) so I won't be going in completely blind - Ha! I'm the knd of modeler who can put a project on hold and just spend days pouring over books and savoring just the plans alone. The OcCre plans for this particular build look pretty clear and user friendly for the beginner although the rigging techniques look a bit hokey as they show tying off the rigging with simple knots rather than properly seizing and securing a line. My fly tying vice will come in very handy for properly seizing rope, blocks, etc. Thanks again, Allan!

Posted (edited)

You are welcome Mike.  Your comments on research are spot on!   There are great articles here at MSW in the Articles Database that will be helpful.  In addition to the great planking article by David Antscherl in the database, you may find the four part video series by Chuck Passaro on planking using strip materials (if that is what is in your kit) beneficial.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWooJ1o3cM

Allan   

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 minutes ago, allanyed said:

You are welcome Mike.  Your comments on research are spot on!   There are great articles here at MSW in the Articles Database that will be helpful.  In addition to the great planking article by David Antscherl in the database, you may find the four part video series by Chuck Passaro on planking using strip materials (if that is what is in your kit) beneficial.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWooJ1o3cM

Allan   

That's great, Allan! Going there now.  Thank you.

Although I have the Keel Klamper (doesn't everyone?!?) and use it primarily, I also have a foam cradle that has been helpful at various times, as well.  I got mine from Micro-Mark.

Triple Duty Foam Cradle for Models and Ships (micromark.com)

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

Allan   

Hello, Allan. That vid link you sent on planking was a great help. Tried that method for practice for a few hours and I'm stunned how smooth that process was. The planking boogyman has been disposed of Ha! 

Another vote for the foam cradle.  You can put the ship into just about any kind of position and it’s soft so doesn’t damage stuff

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Posted (edited)

20230524_130148.thumb.jpg.88b1e1d21d6b6cc4ffda1021c6dc0dd9.jpg

The Keel clamp is a great idea and if you can afford one get it, but shipping and the cost was to high for the First Mate  so  I  put three paint stick together in a jewelry vice  it swivels in all directions. . Works good on small ships 16 inches or less. For my bigger build  I attach  the keel to a 2x16x3/4 piece of wood. When I get to the bottom  I just flip it over into a foam cradle.

Lol she not pretty but it is a third of the price.:cheers:

Bob M.

20230815_182019.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Typos

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati