Nice job on the stand, I'm looking forward to following along!

Do the instructions say to mark the waterline so early on in the build because you'll be using it as a guide to attach a part? As for a waterline marker, if you search the site for "waterline" you'll see a lot of methods that people have set up waterline markers that may inspire you.

3 minutes ago, JacquesCousteau said:

Do the instructions say to mark the waterline so early on in the build because you'll be using it as a guide to attach a part?

I ve read the instrunctions, and they dont use the waterline as a guide, but the first page tells me to paint the part below the waterline with varnish.

Posted (edited)

Just started building the keel today, Ive followed the instructions and cut pieces to the picture, and when I assembled the keel there was this rather large hole on the stern of the ship. I didnt glue the together keel, and I need sugestions on how to fill that hole

17117291913815278659949012357148.jpg

17117292249181187103094974301892.jpg

17117292733889071429887009199750.jpg

17117293141129186262780956806787.jpg

Edited by AmateurModelBuilder

Got to say, they don't give the best of instructions. 

I have the Cutty Sark under way and had to use a lot of filler and shaping to get the lines looking anywhere near right.

(Stopped for now as life got in the way but will continue soon I hope.)

Use the photo of the ship on the box front to see what you may need to do. 

Looks like a lot of filling and shaping to get the lines in the photo.

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

I’m guessing Mamoli is showing a simplified way to put strip wood together, expecting you to match the curved shape of the stern?   

Do you have a picture of the profile of the boat?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

image.png.fe8a971311ee0c86ee1f0f7ac2f8b7e8.png

What Mamoli is looking for you to do is trace out a pattern like I have made in red, then use strip wood pieced together like I have indicated in blue, where you would then trace the pattern to give you a shape to fit over the bow and stern without any gaps.

You may want to use  more pieces than they have shown in the instructions in order to easier make a curve.

If this is still a problem for you and I may be able to put together a little demo with some wood.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Good luck with the keel! Is there a reason you made a new build log, though?

Hello, Gregory was exactly right.  Below is a photo of my mini-Mamoli Nina.   The keel parts are glued into the pre-drilled groove all the way along the keel.  Since the keel will be painted below the waterline, it doesn't really matter what pattern of pieces you cobble together down there as long as they are all snug in the groove, and against each other.  It also helps to install pieces which stick out too far as well, so the entire keel/stem can be sanded down as one unit after the glue dries.

Alan

image.jpeg.0baa396394449c655106f44a45d5a5d6.jpeg

• The title was changed to Bregante by AmateurModelBuilder - Mini Mamoli

Its been a while since I posted but, I managed to build and sand the keel and plank the deck. As for those holes in the keel I filled them with scrap wood and just sanded it to fit in the groove, it may not look the best but couple coats of primer and paint will hide it. Now im wondering: do I varnish the deck first, and varnish should I use, because there are a lot of components that will be glued on the deck or do I continue building the ship and varnish the deck later?

17120821774853499020284004118003.jpg

17120822146722659062664824518599.jpg

17120822325802692277199167959233.jpg

17120822472358565661911167401877.jpg

If you use an acrylic sealant to clear coat the deck, PVA glue will stick to it.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me