Using wood as decking for a plastic hull model?

Go to solution Solved by Gregory,

Dear fellow builders, I´m new to the forum and returner to model building (my last build was 25 yrs ago). I would like to gain some skills to build my dream sail yacht from scratch one day. I got advised now to start with a wooden model kit. But since my last plastic build was 25 yrs ago I was wondering if a mixture from both worlds would be a good idea. To get back into scale building but also to start with wood.

Therefore I thought to get (can get it "cheap") a Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 but using wood for the decking (not for the hull). DO you think that would be of advantage or even advised or should I just start with the wooden kit as advised or just start with the plastic kit frist again?

Looking forward to your hints, advises and thoughts. Thank you in advance...

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

While no expert on this subject, I see one problem with covering plastic decking, and that is thickness of the deck. It could mis-align parts that are later attached to/through the deck. I routinely plank solid hull and framed miniatures with maple veneer that I sand down to just 0.010" thick, which might work.

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

• Solution

Check out HisModel and Amazon.  I see they have wooden decks for Cutty Sark.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

The Encore kit of the Olympia came with wood decking.  It had me shave the wood grain off the plastic deck before applying the wood decking.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

11 hours ago, John Fox III said:

While no expert on this subject, I see one problem with covering plastic decking, and that is thickness of the deck. It could mis-align parts that are later attached to/through the deck. I routinely plank solid hull and framed miniatures with maple veneer that I sand down to just 0.010" thick, which might work.

Hi John, I was more thinking of replacing the entire plastic deck with a wooden deck. So not just put a wooden deck onto the plastic, which as you stated may cause problems because of the height, but really leave the plastic deck and create / build one out of wood and put this one in. But thank you for the idea of sanding it down.

Someone else made the suggestion that there are ready wooden deckings, especially for the Revell Cutty Sark 1/96. I had a look at those as well, unfortunately the wooden decking is almost the same price than the model kit. So not sure if this would really be an option.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

13 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

Therefore I thought to get (can get it "cheap") a Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 but using wood for the decking (not for the hull). DO you think that would be of advantage or even advised or should I just start with the wooden kit as advised or just start with the plastic kit frist again?

Perhaps I can provide some personal insight on this concept Gregory. See my build log for the whaling bark Wanderer in the Kit build logs for subjects built from 1851 – 1900. The 1/87 scale plastic model kit is made by Aurora and I am heavily modifying the kit, by replacing most of the plastic parts with wood, including the ships deck.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Well, at 1/96 scale most woods would have really a too coarse grain, particularly those commercial decks made from veneer.

Unlike wooden shipmodels, where the builder may want to show his woodworking etc. skills, plastic models usually are finished to show how the ship (may have) appeared in real life.  Mixing visible wood with plastic may look incongruent in style.

My personal choice would be to replace the injection moulded deck with some styrene, lightly engrave the plank seams, lightly scrape down any raised burrs, and build up the coamings etc. from styrene strips.

Then paint the deck in wood colour (I use these days mainly Vallejo acrylics), seal this paint with gloss varnish, take a black 0.1 mm felt-tip pen and draw out the seams, wiping off any excess immediately, so that the black only stays in the engraved lines. Seal again with satin varnish and then slightly tint each individual plank with veery light washes of burnt umber. Afterwards apply a very light white wash all over. The result should look like this:

image.png.be7ca954083cd2c4ebfad23c30bb5e98.png

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you all for the answers and really great ideas / tipps. I think I will stick to the regular plastic deck and just use the model kit to get back into building at all. Then I will get a wooden kit and start with the wooden kit.

At least that are my plans for the moment... still considering not to start immediately with a wooden kit. Just don´t know which one to choose lol

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I you go that down that road, you should at least scrape/sand off this complete unrealistic woodgraining that these kit manufacturers seem to be so fond of. Afterwards, you may need to (re-) engrave lightly(!) the plank seams.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg