Hi Folks.

After a few weeks loitering in the shadows I decided to join the forum but not before having a read of the odd build and various comments. The subject of period ships is new to me as I predominantly build plastic or resin kits on the black art subject of aircraft, however, I never stand still for long and am always looking for new challenges. I was naturally drawn to aircraft from a young age as I live in Bomber County (Lincolnshire) but I also come from a nautical family, my Great Uncle Harry Watson, Chief Stoker, went down on HMS Hood and my Uncle served on HMS Ark Royal in the 60's and 70's. I also have a second cousin whom served.

With this in mind I thought it about time I got my sea legs so I have purchased my first wooden boat kit, and no, it is not HMS Victory😁, I have followed the sage advice of the wise owls that nest here and purchased this;

20240601_191602.thumb.jpg.6059e301ac36cd5874d7cf29f0220bc0.jpg

And after looking in the box I am glad I did, much to learn but the instructions are superb and the kit looks superb. I will not build it yet, I have a full bench but I will in the future and with the support of this superb site I am sure it will be a success.

Cheers

Gary

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard! We have a few members who have dipped their toes into the forbidden waters of aircraft models. Some of us spend quite a lot of time wallowing there! 🤫

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

:piratebo5:  Garry, this is the place to be, good luck on your journey, have as much fun as you can.

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Don't be afraid of that Grand Banks Dory! You should have no trouble, at all, building that model. It should prove to be a great transition from plastic to wood. You'll likely find out that a lot of your previous plastic models were probably more difficult to build than this Dory will be! 🙂 "Don't Fear the Wood!" 

"Welcome aboard!"   

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!