Dutch 17th century pleasure vessel by Alvb - FINISHED - 1/250 - CARD - from plans by Ab Hoving/Nicolaas Witsen

After a very sudden hospital stay and operation, I need a little activity.

I chose the pleasure vessel that Ab Hoving has already presented here.

As I enjoy very small models, I will try it on a scale of 1:250.

Ab Hoving kindly provided me with plans.

I took the liberty of modifying the plans a little to be a little closer to Witsen's sketch. The most obvious difference is in the shape of the stem. This of course required minimal adjustments to the hull lines.

But see for yourself

Speel-jagt.pdf

Alvb

You are not fair to the woodcarver. This is very clearly two lions carrying the Asterdam- coat-of-arms, againdt a gilded background. Would have been clearer when the painter didn’t cover it up with lots of red paint :)

I’m aleays impressed with these very small card models. Did you use the drawing as a template for the sides? 

Jan

I'm not quite sure if I understand the question correctly.

I used my drawing from #1 for the upper part of the side walls, stretching them to match the curve (I noticed too late that they were a bit too low at the bow).

The barkouten will be a challenge. The lower ones are about 0.5 mm wide, the upper ones more like 0.25 mm. The last one is difficult to cut cleanly out of paper. I would have to find a stronger paper 0.2 mm thick than the simple printer paper.

The stern is completed, the frames and the benches are installed.

20240711_111040.thumb.jpg.c46e12ae56b93043b246d4c67eacc07b.jpg20240711_111000.thumb.jpg.8ee272f48945e6d7f67ff86c13c0a98a.jpg20240711_110906.thumb.jpg.20672817886d319afe57cde3b3aa5091.jpg

Next, we'll continue with the lower planking of the hull, followed by the "barkhouts".

I'm wondering whether I should actually paint the white paint on the underwater hull all the way to the lower barkhout, as the still unpainted paper suggests at the moment?

AlVb

Back from South Tyrol we continued to the paper shipyard.

The wales were quite a challenge. I've almost reached the limit of what I can do.

I only painted the underwater part up to the waterline and a really straight border isn't possible with my resources.

20240721_171724.thumb.jpg.ecc2fb35f95d5a112aeb4b171eba4c4c.jpg

I've now reached the point where I'm not really allowed to touch the boat anymore. But how do you carry on building without touching it?

And then there is the question of how the model should be presented. On a small base or sailing in the "water"?

Greetings Alvb

Posted (edited)

Looking good from here!

A small base is the safe option. Putting it sailing in a diorama is great, but you have to get the water, the waves and the sails exactly right, otherwise it spoils the effect. (And a sailing vessel need people on board…)

Jan

Edited by amateur

42 minutes ago, Alvb said:

But how do you carry on building without touching it?

I think, Eberhard  @wefalck, users varnish or lacquer  to glue/anchor small objects onto wine corks allowing him to work on them as needed. 

One of the many images from his build log. 

image.png.ceb21a51a8246313e47ba9f609b99e0b.png

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Posted (edited)

By using an iron bolt. It is still used in ships like the Dutch ‘botter’. Google the words ‘botter’ ‘zwaard’ (the dutch word for leeboard), and some pics shoul show up.

a piece of wood attached to the outer bulwarks, to get it level with the wale. And a bolt through the head of the leeboard. Sometimes through the frames, sometimes a heavier reinforcement on the inside of the bulwark. And there is some tackle (or sometimes a single rope) to lower the leeboard into the water.

Jan

Edited by amateur

image.png.ee1c2f329b8f1035ec70d0831f11ca4e.png

image.png.6218147b99aa4dd525d3255569bc309e.png

The hull is largely finished. Time to turn to the rigging. The routing of the gaff halyard and boom halyard is a bit unclear (sorry, I'm not familiar with the English names).

I interpret the images as follows: the boom halyard runs down the mast over the upper block in the top. A light tackle is attached. The gaff halyard starts at the top, runs over the block on the small gaff, from there down over a sheave in the mast.

What are those poles on the outside along the sides of the ship over the leeboards?

Thanks Alvb

33 minutes ago, druxey said:

Too thin for wood poles: those appear to be lines (ropes).

I agree, David. They look like lines securing the leeboards.

Not sure, how this was done on a 'speeljacht', but usually, there was a solid block of wood (in German: Schwertpoller), a bollard, through which a heavy pin ran ('Schwertnagel') on which the lee-boards pivoted. On later boats/ships there was an iron frame going over the bollard, which held the pin. The side-views that you showed, don't show the bollard above the rail, so it may be inboard. However, a solid piece of wood would be needed to hold the lee-board. 

There is also a lift attached to the lower edge of the  lee-board, that allowed to raise it above the water. The lift was belayed on another bollard or cleat inboard.

In order to get a clean line along the waterline, you could use white decal sheet. Cut a thin stripe and apply it along the the desired line. With acrylics you can paint over it to almost touch the edge. The acrylic paint will also cover up the lower edge of the decal strip.

I also tend to play with different grades of glossiness/mattnes. Some people like their small-scall models all matt, but I think the different grades enhance the appearance of different materials or surface treatments.

At this scale, the project is going to be quite a challenge and I will follow with interest.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Page 8, post #230 thru 233. Page 10, post #277. Page 13, post #372.