Ahoy, mates...from central California

Hey everyone. I've been building model kits since I was about 10 (I'm 54 now), exclusively plastic. I've been interested in wooden kits for quite some time, but never took the plunge until now. A couple of weeks ago, I spotted a kit in a thrift store for under $20 (Midwest Products Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack) and decided it would be a decent "beginner" kit to try out and see if building wooden kits was something I'd be interested in doing. 

I found this forum while looking to see what other kits were available out there in the world. I've also already been reading build logs for the same kit that I found. I plan to do a lot more reading before I start and hope to learn all sorts of tips and techniques from the other members. I have to say, from what I have seen so far, the builds shown in here are excellent. It's obvious that there are quite a number of very skilled people in here who love sailing ships. Looking forward to the experience.

:sign:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:             The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA                                                                      Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80 -- Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models 😊

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus-Amati

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard from a California ex-pat! Whereabouts in Central California are you? My most recent Cali address was in Mariposa. BTW, the smack was my very first wooden model, too. It's doable, but the thick side planks were a bit tricky around the bow filler blocks. Nothing to lose sleep over, though.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Speeljacht

Welcome to MSW, glad to have you aboard. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Greetings and enjoy this forum!

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 6/30/2024 at 3:42 PM, ccoyle said:

Welcome aboard from a California ex-pat! Whereabouts in Central California are you? My most recent Cali address was in Mariposa. BTW, the smack was my very first wooden model, too. It's doable, but the thick side planks were a bit tricky around the bow filler blocks. Nothing to lose sleep over, though.

Cheers!

Thanks. I'm over near Bass Lake.  I've been reading some of the build logs on the smack, so I'm getting to know where the potential problem areas are. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard here at MSW, a warm welcome from the North of Scotland. Enjoy the commuinity...

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a