Armstrong Whitworth Argosy by king derelict - FINISHED - Mikro Mir- 1/144 - PLASTIC

Looking great Alan and the finish line is in sight!  I'll echo what OC said that it's an extra hurdle or five when the kit isn't the best.  You're doing a very nice job with what you were given in the box.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

While I was trying to sort out the prop tips I took some time off and weathered the plane approximating to the real aircraft photo posted earlier. I used Ammo engine oil wash on the wings and masked up the panels that seem to have discoloration. 

RIMG0428.thumb.JPG.02eb9c7157aa1c027b2bd39f34c633b4.JPG

RIMG0427.thumb.JPG.e8af1c27b5b55fb7a9d41258f887298d.JPG

Suitably grubby!

I decided I wasn't making progress with the props - I just can't freehand the tips without something to rest my hand against. So I did what I should done at the start. I pulled them off (luckily I had used Gators Grip glue) and thankfully didn't break anything. They were stripped back and now will now be painted again, hopefully with a bit of precision. It possibly worked out for the best because I decided that it was a good time to add the PE details and I don't think I could have fitted a lot of it without bumping the prop blades.

The turbulence control vanes over the flight deck were horrible to install; they are just so small (and there are 16 of them). Everything else was fairly respectable to work with but there are now few places that the model can be handled. Reinstall the props and touch up the paint and I think we will be done.

RIMG0421.thumb.JPG.b1b8f5acd9798042b9375e5b9d3f8dfa.JPGRIMG0422.thumb.JPG.258384bed8f2f4cb42a676c72d760ac4.JPGRIMG0426.thumb.JPG.6b0605764404753009d54d3aa146e322.JPG

I added landing lights made from discs of aluminium foil and a dot of glue for the lense.

Thanks for looking in, the likes and comments

Alan

Thats  Great  work Alan,  I remember  bashing around  with  plastic  plane kits  in this  scale  and  doing  horrible  jobs,  love  how  you are  turning this  kit around  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you very much OC. This is a first venture into 1/144 scale and there is a learning process as always. I need to tidy up my paintwork. It looks okay to the eye but the camera shows up every flaw. There were some horrible parts in the kit and flash, fit and some deformed parts made it a challenge but I was very happy with the way the fuselage, wings and booms went together. It all locked into place with the booms square to the wings and parallel. I gather the Beverley is much worse.

alan

Progress is shamefully slow to finish this one. The second attempt to detail the prop tips were a miserable failure. The masking worked quite well but I seemed to suffer from incompatibility / inconsistency between the paint colours which were a mix of acrylics from Vallejo and Tamiya. The Tamiya colours didn't like being brush painted and the Vallejo either chipped off or peeled off with the masking. So its all been stripped off again and I am trying again using Tamiya and the air brush.

The front and backs have now been primered and tomorrow I will mask and add the first colour.

RIMG0430.thumb.JPG.c57bac5929f253b7d39f390231bf5927.JPG

All this for a bit of red and white on the tips of teh blades.

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments.

Alan

I too  used  to have issues  with detailing the  props  -  with me  it was  getting a  nice straight line at the  tip,  so I hear  your pain  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

21 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I too  used  to have issues  with detailing the  props  -  with me  it was  getting a  nice straight line at the  tip,  so I hear  your pain  mate.

OC.

It looks so obvious when its off. I got the white sprayed on today. Tomorrow I mask and add the gray to the blades.

Spend more time cleaning the airbrush than spraying paint.

Alan

27 minutes ago, king derelict said:

It looks so obvious when its off. I got the white sprayed on today. Tomorrow I mask and add the gray to the blades.

Spend more time cleaning the airbrush than spraying paint.

Alan

Sounds like a  plan  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So at last the sage of the prop tips is over.

Paint props white

mask tips and paint grey

,mask blades and paint red

Each time I let the paint cure for 24 hours between coats and I used a dilute clear coat to seal the masks.

RIMG0440.thumb.JPG.22d83972987d5b01e3dcf47c36e8bdd2.JPG

I never seem to get on well with Tamiya Red but the alternative was a bottle of Mig Ammo Atom Red which is completely untried and I did not want any more drama. I had to tidy up the results from spraying but they were close enough to make it worth a bit of touch up by hand.

Touch up duly completed and the props reattached. They are not perfect but they are reasonable for a first attempt at 1/144 scale aircraft.

RIMG0444.thumb.JPG.3ab78b615158b2b0cdd113380088f366.JPGRIMG0445.thumb.JPG.a3f5857a1e661f98634b4ca8a6875e78.JPGRIMG0446.thumb.JPG.14a12ae657cf1c58d842f56187f94cf3.JPGRIMG0447.thumb.JPG.89048e7a70bcab7d153414d9df726a8c.JPGRIMG0448.thumb.JPG.7f8790025c1a0c803fbacd0709daf444.JPGRIMG0449.thumb.JPG.2e0211553b54fbf1ea82459c01f35b08.JPG

Lots of scope for improvement - and I have a few more 1/144 scale to build when I feel strong enough.  I think I have learnt a few things that will improve my efforts for the future. Fairing wings, fuselage and tailplanes will be given more attention and @Landlubber Mike has provided an excellent note to help future builds.

Thank you all for the likes and helpful supportive comments.

It was nice to see an old remembered aircraft come together as a completed model

Alan

Hey Alen,    thats  turned  out  really nice  -  you  have to take  into account  the  problems  you had with  the kit, and  then the scale  -  you  have built a  faithfull  rendition of the  the old  bird  -   she looks  just  like an "Argy"    yep  I have seen a  few  at a few  airfields  over here.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• The title was changed to Armstrong Whitworth Argosy by king derelict - FINISHED - Mikro Mir- 1/144 - PLASTIC
On 9/21/2024 at 12:37 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Hey Alen,    thats  turned  out  really nice  -  you  have to take  into account  the  problems  you had with  the kit, and  then the scale  -  you  have built a  faithfull  rendition of the  the old  bird  -   she looks  just  like an "Argy"    yep  I have seen a  few  at a few  airfields  over here.

OC.

Thank you very much OC. A bit of a struggle at times and my inexperience shows but I’m really happy to have built something from the high days of post war British aviation when there were so many different types around.

alan

On 9/21/2024 at 1:15 AM, AJohnson said:

Congratulations Alan on wrangling this mini “beast” into shape, looks very unusual, nice to see a rare bird like the Argosy. 

Thank you very much Andrew. It must be old age but I find I have a lot of affection for the aircraft produced by British aviation prior to the forced amalgamation of most of the great old names. I remember the hangers at Boscombe Down in 1972 having so many different types. Lightnings, Javelins, Canberras, Hunters, Sea Vixens. It would make an interesting project to build one of everything that I saw there that year.

alan

Hey Alan, that came out great!  Nice work showing that stubborn kit who is boss!  Like anything else, working on something difficult teaches more than something that falls together.  You should feel proud having completed it!

After slogging through this one, you should try a Tamiya or Hasegawa kit.  My Hs 129 kits by Hasegawa have perfectly fitting parts.  After my JRS-1 and Special Hobby past build, I was practically confused and couldn’t believe my eyes when the fuselage just snapped together to the point of likely needing little to no filler.

Congrats again!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

For a tiny little 1/144 model, there's a surprising amount of detail there!  Well done!

Brad/NavyShooter

Build Log: HMS Blackpool - 1/144 3D Print RC

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey Alan, that came out great!  Nice work showing that stubborn kit who is boss!  Like anything else, working on something difficult teaches more than something that falls together.  You should feel proud having completed it!

After slogging through this one, you should try a Tamiya or Hasegawa kit.  My Hs 129 kits by Hasegawa have perfectly fitting parts.  After my JRS-1 and Special Hobby past build, I was practically confused and couldn’t believe my eyes when the fuselage just snapped together to the point of likely needing little to no filler.

Congrats again!

Thank you very much Mike. The Yak is the last of my planned exploration of east European kits and it looks like it’s going to have its moments. Lots of filing and filling. I have promised myself the next will be something from the opposite end of the market and will be back in the ship page. Something Flyhawk I’m thinking.

alan

3 hours ago, NavyShooter said:

For a tiny little 1/144 model, there's a surprising amount of detail there!  Well done!

Thank you for the kind comment. Although it was rough in terms of fit and flash the details are impressive right down to the PE turbulence control vanes over the flight deck.

Alan

Really nicely done Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.