best SECOND model ship kit recommendations

palmerit

I'm currently building the Vanguard Sherbourne and it's been a great experience. Since I find that there are often times when I'm waiting for glue or paint to dry (like I am now), I'm thinking that I might start another model in parallel. Especially during football season, I'm finding it enjoyable to work on models while watching the games on Sundays.

I love my Vanguard Model. And I'm certainly going to buy another one (and another after that) when my Sherbourne is done. The Harpy looks cool. That might be a stretch, so maybe that can be a third or fourth model, but I really like what I've seen on the prototype build. I'm certainly considering another Vanguard Model for my second (parallel) build. Some of the non-armed working boats with sails from Vanguard seem quite different from the Sherbourne, at least in looks. If anyone has recommendations, please share. 

I'm also considering a different model manufacturer for my second (parallel) model that might require me to exercise some other model muscles and build on what I've been learning with the Sherbourne. I've seen Occre, Caldercraft, Model Shipways, the Amati models that Chris Watton designed as ones that recommended. Quality (over cost) - in material, in instructions - is way more important to me (which is why I picked a Vanguard model as my first one). I don't want to deal with wood that splits or is the wrong dimensions. Certainly having descent instructions is a must for a second build I think, even if supplementing with checking out the logs of others. 

Recommendations on a good "second ship" that would be a small step past the Sherbourne, but not overwhelming for someone who is still a beginner? I've seen the index to builds (and I'll pick one where I can find lots of help), but I'd like pointers to a few I should check out for my second model. 

I did see these recommended on a pinned post from six years ago. So I'll check these out. But wanted to see what else that's newer might be recommended. For example, they don't list Occre because I think that's a new company.

No experience 
Any Artesania Latina Weekend Kit (Viking longboat etc) 
Artesania Latina's Mare Nostrum, Bremen, Jolie Brise
Models with preformed hulls made from compressed fibre (again, AL produce a variety of these)
Midwest Products Level 1 or 2 (e.g. skiff, Chesapeake Bay flattie) (these kits are now made and sold through Model Expo)
Beginner kits from BlueJacket Shipcrafters (e.g. Optimist dinghy, Yankee Hero)
Model Shipways' Willie Bennett, Armed Longboat, Shipwright Series (dory, pram, lobster smack)

Vanguard Models working boats (e.g., Saucy Jack, Erycina)

Some experience, or experience of other model disciplines 
Mantua's Model kits of President, Golden Star
Artesania Latina's San Francisco(II), Santa Maria, Independence, Harvey, HMS Supply, Mayflower, Scottish Maid, Virginia, Swift 
Amati's Santa Maria, Elizabethan Galleon, Lady Nelson, Chinese Junk 
Caldercraft's HM Schooner Ballahoo, HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Brig Supply 
Model Shipways' Bluenose 
Corel's Shenadoah, Chesapeake Sloop, Scotland Baltic Ketch, Leida 
Mamoli's Constitution Cross Section 

Vanguard Models' Sherbourne Trial, Alert

I haven't seen a more recent cataloging of recommended beginner/novice models like this, but maybe I've used the wrong search terms.

Any recommendations for a good second model, and for another model manufacturer to take a look at or to stay away from? Or what I should look for (or look out for) when picking a second model. After seeing how challenging even a novice model is (with great materials and fantastic instructions) I certainly don't want to get over my head. But I'd like to take a step and expand my skills too.

See my general (not specific) thoughts on this topic at:

Melissa T.

Current Build: Taking a Short Break

Completed: 85’ Air-Sea Rescue Boat - Scratch Build, Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I would go with a kit that was designed within the last three to five years.  Both Vanguard and OcCre have highly detailed build instructions, whereas some of the older kits from the established manufacturers have instructions that are decades old.  The highly detailed instructions are definitely a help to the novice builder and will help the builder to achieve a finished model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Personally I think anything other than Vanguard would be a step down as far as entry/mid level kits go.  Also I think a lot of the time harder rated kits aren't necessarily harder skill wise than what you will have experienced with the Sherbourne, they just require more time to complete.  I think a good step up would be some of the two masted vessels from Vanguard like the Adder, Speedy/Flirt, or even the Dutchess of Kingston.  

Current Build

HMS Sphinx, Vanguard Models 1:64 Scale

Finished Builds:

HMS Beagle

On 9/25/2024 at 10:33 AM, brunnels said:

or even the Dutchess of Kingston.  

So Duchess of Kingston wouldn't be completely out of my league then (just bigger and more complex)? I've read a number of build logs on it (and watched some YouTube videos on a build from the guy from the Midwest Model Shop). It's a beautiful ship and a lot different from the Sherbourne.

I was also looking at the Model Shipways' Bluenose - it's very different from the Sherbourne or any of the other Vanguard Models. But following some build logs and watching some YouTube videos it looks like it's single plank (unless I'm missing something) and the instructions can be confusing and some of the parts are wrong and need to be handcrafted.