HMS Victory by Jeff-E - FINISHED - Panart - 1:78 Scale - Bow Section

Hi All,

I have been lining the gunports over the last few days and I hope to finish them tomorrow. They will need a little bit of trimming and a light sand but overall Iam happy with them.

I lined the top and bottom of the ports first and then did the sides, I have 9 more ports to do to finnish them off. some pics follow

post-1806-0-23205400-1386404087_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-21574500-1386404096_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-44689200-1386404113_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-44169700-1386404125_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff-E

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hi All,

I finished lining the gunports today and I will post some pictures once they are trimmed and sanded.

My next project is to plank the stem an keel even though I am going to paint it and copper below the water line  I would like some definition of it being planked under the paint, the instructions do call for you to plank the keel using 1 x 6mm walnut strips in a straight sort of pattern. The pic may will explain it better

post-1806-0-88986500-1386492093_thumb.jpg

I have decided to go with the pattern in Longridge's book which I have drawn on the keel and stem

post-1806-0-49597600-1386492469_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-10513200-1386492484_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-99124600-1386492496_thumb.jpg

I am using 0.5 x 5mm sapellie from another kit for the planks because I don't think  there are not enough walnut  planks left over to complete the job and I only have to widen the slots in the frames that support thebeakhead deck by 1mm instead of 2mm :D

Some pics of the planking follows I will post some more soon.

post-1806-0-55609900-1386493010_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-64299000-1386493024_thumb.jpg

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi Jeff,

Nice job on your gunports.  :)

As for the stem, I agree, ignore the instructions (again) and go with the plank pattern on the ship, and as Longridge has done. You can see the diagonal planking in various close-up shots – and this will probably show on the finished model, whether you intend to leave her natural or paint the model.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi,

I've just joined this forum and for Chrimbo I am looking at the better half buying me the Victory Cross section or Bow Cross section or Panart 'between the decks'. Having looked at various logs on here I think it will be the Panart or this model, but I don't know if I can replicate such impressive work; especially the planking! Absolutely stunning, can't wait to see the finished model. I can see the benefit of some low power LED lighting, will have to look at local stores for possible products. I am tempted to start with the Panart kit then progress to this beastie! Loving it...

Yes,Phoenix,  I have the Panart Victory bow cross section, but so far, too chicken to start. I have decided to limber up on the rather strange Amati bireme. It is a sort of glorified rowing boat with 44 oars!!  It has a simple sail that I think even I will be able to master. The Victory bow section is scheduled for after Chrissie

Jimmy from Brissie in Ozzie

Hi Phoenix,

Welcome to MSW and this log :sign: 

Thank you for your kind comments and I hope you get the model you wish for, which ever one it is I'm sure you will make it something you can be proud of.

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

I just want to say that this is my first post and I have been wanting to build a wooden ship.I saw this model and thought it would be a good first one to try.It has a little bit of everything without the overwhelming of doing a complete ship.

I found your build site and want to say you are doing a GREAT job.

I do have some scratch building experience on a 1/24 scale rc tug,and with your pics and experience I have the confidence I can do this too.I will be following this to the end

Ron

:10_1_10: R​o​n

Current projects

HMS Victory Bow section

Hi Jeff-E!  yes, I would like to do a build log, but the photos may be few and far between. Reason? The cable from camera doesnt communicate with laptop no 2. So I have to put the SD card into laptop no 1, save it, then transfer to stick RAM, then put stick into laptop no 2 taking care not to upset the mouse cable, then try the internet device. EASY EH??? How do I put a photo onto this forum? AAAAGGGGGGHHHHH.......

JIMMY

Hi Ron,

Thankyou for your kind words and welcome to MSW    :sign:   and this log

I think you are right in saying the kit covers a variety of ship modelling aspects which would be benificial to a first time builder it is also a bit of a challenge but if you take your time I think you will build a model you can be proud of.  

If you do decide to go with this kit I would be happy to offer any help I you need, there are also many more experienced modellers on this site than me that would be more than happy to help with any questions you have

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi Jimmy,

Wow sounds like your camera and PC have some issues with each other. :o

In answer to your question on how to post pictures take a look at this link by Dan Vad , hope this helps :) 

Edited by Jeff-E

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi All,

Just a small update with some pics of the stem planking. The starboard side is nearly finished and now that I am finally happy with the pattern the port side wont take to long. I will finish the starboard side today and I hope to complete the port side tomorrow or Saturday.

post-1806-0-39174300-1386833937_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-25660200-1386833949_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-01870000-1386833960_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-63710000-1386833969_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-40254200-1386833982_thumb.jpg

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi Jeff.

Nice way to finish the bow area.

Planking is spot on :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi Matt,

Thank you. The planking is 0.5 x 5mm Sapele( Al 's Descrition), it is left over from an old AL kit, I think it might be a similar texture to Mahogany though I' not sure.

It would be nice if manufacturers did provide sugestions and instructions on how to plank parts such as the stem, but extra detail would also add to extra cost,however it would  be nice if some of them provided decent instructions on how to build the basic model. 

I think that some of the finer details are sometimes best left up to the builders own preference as to how much detail he or she wishes to add

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi All,

The stem planking is complete on the Starboard side and the port side is about 1/3 done.

post-1806-0-03802900-1387010535_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-43882600-1387010547_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-45955900-1387010558_thumb.jpg

I have started making the gunport lids. The kit supplied laser cut lids made from 0.8mm ply with pre drilled holes for the ropes to attach to them for opening and closing. The instructions don't mention covering them with any strips of wood but in the drawing showing how to attach the lids to the hull it does seem to show the lid with a lining of planks on both sides of the lid and the planks look to be flush with the lid.

post-1806-0-40652600-1387011863_thumb.jpg

When I tried 1 of the lids in my port I found it almost fell through the lined gunport, as I had cut my ports out to originally fit the pre made supplied port linings this was a bit suprising. So I have decided to use the supplied lid as a plug and plank the outside of it with 1 x 6mm offcuts from the second layer of planks and to leave a overhang of 0.5mm all the way around the lid and to line the inside with 0.5mm sapele that I'm using on the stem

post-1806-0-17905900-1387012438_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-74982300-1387012466_thumb.jpg

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

I am also trying to replcate the run of planks with the gunports , fortunately most of them have only two planks runnig through them but a couple of the lower ports have three with the centre being a full plank and the outer ones cut at different widths 

post-1806-0-80374900-1387012938_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-81991700-1387012950_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-15397100-1387012963_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-55081000-1387012977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff-E

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Some lovely planking there Jeff and the detailing is growing with each day, she's a delight to the eye mate well done.

Have you thought about a colour for the hull and will you be coppering her ?

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

the craftmenship on the bow is sec to none great work that u have done so far very clean keep in going

Hi Mobbsie and Dragzz,

Thank you both for your kind comments

Yes Mobbsie I am going to copper the hull and paint the upper works in the same pattern she currently wears at Portsmouth dock with black, yellow ochre and blue

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi All,

A bit longer than I expected, due to work issues :(  but the stem planking is complete and sanded.The two holes drilled at the front edge of the stem are for the bobstays, I was going to drill the hole for the mainmast stay collar but seeing as there wont be one fitted I omitted it

Some pics follow

post-1806-0-19970900-1387368794_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-71147300-1387368803_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-62038500-1387368815_thumb.jpg

post-1806-0-71384600-1387368826_thumb.jpg

The next job is to mark the water line and the position of the wales and then to make and fit the wales

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;