HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Yeah I've seen it.both ways, and I did have it like that.. It shows false sleeve hole, maybe that's why some do it.like this.. I see your point, it wouldn't operate well coming from underneath.. Ollie

Hi all, thanks tom and John, I agree, I thought it sounded good too.you're a wealth of info "ringbolt"

a rod or pin on cathead... Just need to figure exactly how. And I assume a nice coil of rope on the same point..

Well I moved onto masts. my masts have been a pleasure to work, I'm not sure of the timber but quite hard and glad I chose to use them..

I ended up.going for a water based 'stain and gloss' in one product.. I have used Cabot's many times and always been happy.. One thin coat and like product claims, it still shows grain and touches up easily..

All in all very surprised the masts were not a drama to fit with the new caps I decided to make.. The supplied were a bit short skimpy so got the black bean out and got all the dimensions spot on for a nice fitted glueing.. such a nice timber to work for the fiddly bits me old blackbean..

They are straight and running true with each other and I'm feeling kind of excited gang :):)

Still struggling to type on my phone, with internet coming soon I can check on all of your builds... Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-68241600-1396346064_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-22412000-1396346122_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-27020800-1396346149_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-01932800-1396346165_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

I have added a cleat to bottom of mast and added some eye pins...currently making boom rest..

I am wondering about the copper straps that go around mast, would I be best painting them black or trying for an aged copper look?? Ollie

post-7066-0-96036300-1396346619_thumb.jpg

Hi Ollie

I'd substitute that copper for thick card - manila folder and paint it black with a Sharpie pen or similar. Reason being copper will crinkle like hell and thick paper will obey your commands - or the commands of the glue. Guess I hate copper right now. But tight straps are much more easily rendered in manila folder paper than in metal. No one will notice the difference in my opinion except for the fact that the paper will look better unless you are a master of bending copper.

Your masts look great by the way - you are certainly quick but with no lack of high quality work.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Yes the paper idea is best and iron was used in the rigging as it is stronger than brass and more stable in the salt invironment as it would only rust in so far and then the rust would stop or slow down greatly and keep its strength.   The iron on the Star of India hull is original and over 100 years old only lost I/4 inch off of 1 1/2 inch thick plate!   Tough stuff!!   Not steel.   I've only used copper on Large scale.  You are doing very well   you think first!!!!   Watch out though    the Fore Stay goes OVER the first band and can bend it!

Tom

Thanks as always gang.. I have been plodding away at blocks and fiddly

Bits, getting a system going to finish them.still no internet and.not much download on the phone.. Here's a few pics to keep you in the loop.. Masts are yet to be.glued. Might have to do them today.. Happy crafts all.. Ollie

post-7066-0-30148400-1396653524_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-24393800-1396653627_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-81204600-1396653644_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-81642300-1396653669_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-62496600-1396653690_thumb.jpg

Thanks John. No chance of that, next time.. would be a major, getting a bit more relaxed about things as I go.

Here's the masts fitted, was tricky getting them plumb and aligned in every way. But pretty happy with them.. Regards ollie

post-7066-0-57858600-1396668565_thumb.jpg

The Sticky things look the Business Ollie.. ermmmm wots the big white thing on the stern though? (in the last photo)

All The Best

Eamonn

BTW I'm happy to confirm through my vast knowledge of such things that the Tall Stick Thing is in fact a 'Mast', wait for a 2nd opinion though ok..

Place still looks way too clean bud.. :rolleyes:

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamm, that's my spoiler mate ;) don't worry the mess exists, I am not a freak :$ did a clear up yesterday.

Forgot to show the catheads ropes tied up.. Regards ollie

post-7066-0-61855300-1396700385_thumb.jpg

Coolness.. nice simple solution there Ollie, but check out how ropes would be coiled after being 'made off' around a cleat (just found a nice demonstration on You Tube here .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brx_Swi9FiA ) This is a 'modernish' method but no doubt would be the same or similar in the past , Belaying Pins would be similar if not the same..

Worth looking into for authenticity .

All The Best Mate

Eamonn

Hope the Link works  :rolleyes:

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Looking good to me Ollie in all regards. Are those bands paper or copper? If the former they sure look like iron work to me and that is all that matters. Nice stuff on the anchor rig there too - a lesson learned for me about that rig for future reference.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Eamonn, wasn't a cleat but that's great help and cheers Tom. And Bindy, I like your sense of humour :) Alistair. I did top three bands in paper and bottom is copper as I realised it would need the strength.. Copper was easy to do.

Got my.gaff and boom finished today... Yards are on the way.. Regards ollie

post-7066-0-95403300-1396765541_thumb.jpg

Thanks gang, Tom, the.supplied rings need work but come up okay, I have made my own where I needed, found it's not too hard with good cutters.. I have been making most of my eye bolts smaller as they looked too big I thought.. Stock on right.

post-7066-0-27537900-1396863086_thumb.jpg

One question I've been meaning to ask.. If I plan to put sails on, is there any differences I should know about regarding rigging.. Any differences in the way the proceedings go??.. Also adding 15 hrs to tally.

Many thanks ollie

Many times a cutter was named for the rigging it used as opposed to the vessel type. If you decide to put on sails do a little home work before you proceed much farther so you can make any modifications if you have to . Planning ahead to me has always been a virtuo in this hobby.

David B

Edited by dgbot

I must agree with dgbot,  research is mandatory if you want to rig sails.  There is so much more to know about, fittings to understand, seams to get correct not to mention boltropes, doublings and a slew of other things. You would have a whole new model to understand.....it would add at least as many hours to your work as you have in now!  I think the scale would be OK as you must look at the thickness of material so the falls are OK.   Lots of work!!   Not saying don't but want to warn you about a deep envolvement you might not be aware of.   Hoping to be of assistance as always.

Tom

Ollie,

If you're thinking of sails, you might like to have a look at a couple of contemporary models with sails at the NMM at Greenwich for some ideas.

Here are a couple of links:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66568.html

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66275.html

John

Thanks guys, thought it would be challenging.. initially I wanted to do.sails... But now I'm actually thinking of doing the main sail only, wrapped up like in my profile picture .. Not sure how it will work. Any help appreciated for this option.. Regards