HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Yes tom research is key I'm learning.. Without internet I'm realising how great a tool it is... I do need to purchase some books though.. Bit slack on that...

Excellent! They don't take long to make.. So will knock up two more... I realise they need to be lashed together. also wondering if they are lashed to seats also? To stop them being loose items.. You guys are such help..

Hi all hope you all had a good weekend and managed to get some hobby time in..I got my oars done and.lashed down.. Shrouds are on their way.. Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-92803500-1398583437_thumb.jpg

Hi Ollie, sorry for not looking in over the last few days, just that your Cutter had slipped off the page (over to page 2) and I hadn't noticed !

So you are gonna put the wee boat on the Stern Davits then, I thought she looked the Business on deck ^_^ but I guess that's wot the Davits were there for :P

All The Best Ollie

Eamonn

Have to say it again.. Snazzy Wee Boat you have there.

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks so much buddy. I'm torn between davits and deck placement.. Im figuring it will display better on stern. Maybe get a bit lost amongst rigging.. Ahh the decisions..

I've thought about having her on deck and putting both canons on the show side, but not sure if that's a good idea in the real world of ships... Regards ollie

Stern davits gets my vote. Clean deck, cannons, a nice detail on the davits and probably correct (although I haven't the faintest idea). Go with your eye... for your decision, my eye heads aft.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks John,Tom, Alistair and Bindy :-)

So.. I have finished my first scratch build ;-)

I have added a painter and my first coiled rope. everything you see is hand crafted including the eye bolts which are my smallest yet, the thread had trouble going through. :-) they are tricky to get right though. Need some very pointy round pliers me thinks.

All the bits are there to rig her on the davits but think I will get more done on the rigging before mounting.

Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-44316300-1398768417_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

I have also fitted my lower deadeye straps. Just need to get my canons rigged properly, and I can move on with shrouds.. :-) you can see the spacing jig I have made.. Ollie

post-7066-0-37000200-1398892840_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-84655300-1398892861_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-42859500-1398892886_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-90908800-1398892913_thumb.jpg

She's coming on very nicely Ollie, some great detail appearing - now onto that wonderful task (chore?) of rigging ;)  You may wish to hire some of Danny's (Dan Vad - HMS Vulture Scratch Build) trained rigging spiders :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I love rigging it really separates the men from the boys. It shows the effort one wants to put into the ship. I've seen "outstanding" and some "not even a good try" rigging, I especially like the "I really tried" type the best! And believe me it shows! So I am expecting to see some good things from you!!  GOOD LUCK!!

Tom

She's coming along nicely, Ollie.

Just a totally trivial point - did you know that for some totally unknown reason most boats stowed on stern davits are stowed with their bow to starboard?  It's not a rule and it's not invariable practice, but it just seems that most boats are stowed that way! :)

Re your deadeye spacer;- that's the type used by Harold Underhill, but I've found that a 'single hole' type spacer is a pest as the deadeyes keep trying to turn around the spacer while you're working on them.  Try a 'two hole' type for comparison.  Get a small scrap of wood and, using a deadeye as a jig, drill two small holes spaced so that they line up with the two parallel holes on the deadeye at each end, spaced so that the deadeyes will be the correct distance apart.  glue short pieces of wire into the holes and the spacer can then work by holding two holes on each deadeye, preventing them from turning when you put tension on the shroud.

John

Looking brilliant Ollie. I can't decide which side of the hull I prefer - they both look so good. The rigging of the boat off the stern davits looks spot on. A great model in every respect!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Just catching up on your log - fantastic work Ollie.

Though not expecting to achieve quite the same level of skill as you are working at, you've prompted me to consider resurrecting my own stalled Mermaid build.

Thanks for taking us on this awesome journey with you.

Cheers

Leanne

Current build: HM Cutter Mermaid 1817
Next build: US Brig Syren...maybe :)

Thanks each and every one of you .

Yes it's a bit of a chore Banyan.. I.need those spiders.:-)

I've been catching up on some other pastimes with some lovely winter sunshine.. Climbed some mountains, kayak down a stunning river. Beach and creeks..

John, thanks mate, I made up the spacing jig like you suggested because that really made a lot of sense to me... All my pictures show row boat as I have done. Interesting..

Alistair I can't decide either.. Think that the timber side just wins.. :-)

Leanne, I really hope you get her back in action! I should be able to help with some issues if they arise with the building... Looking forward to it..

So I have procrastinated a lot with my canons rigging. The dinghy was a escape I think.. Okay whipped myself into action today and not far off having them done... Just have to decide how to tie them off and if I will do coiled ropes..

Much thanks. Oliver

post-7066-0-70646800-1399534960_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-03531000-1399534990_thumb.jpg