HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Hi Ollie

Have to agree with John there. Too wide and too low. I wouldn't die in a ditch over it though...everything else looks really great - rope scale, blocks etc. There is a bit of discussion on tackles on KenW's Fair American build log at the moment - might be worth a look for you.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Ollie, I just finished going through you entire log, what a wonderful job you are doing. Your planking certainly deserves to be shown. really clean joinery on the deck furniture as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks guys, this is where i have had so much deliberation and tried to ask about the angle of tackles a couple of times.. I didnt  really explain it properly i think...

I dont know if its okay to attatch them off the ribs? do i add some timber brace there to support them? 

I added them where they are because they seemed cluttered..  I will try to relocate them, luckily ive been out up a mountain all day and didnt finish them ..

I have decided to frappe the ropes as these canons would have not been used much at all..

regards Ollie

Alistair, after reading through that discussion, i think i could have left the tackles off.. i thought about doing just that the other day but wasnt sure if tackles where what held the canons in place, but it seems it is the breech rope and all tackles were stored unless in combat..

My only concern is the patching off eye bolt holes now, already have a couple.. :rolleyes:  

Regards Olllie

Hi Ollie

If I was you I'd leave them just the way you have them. It's only trainspotters who will take you to task. The added detail of the tackles is a nice one and I don't regret them on my AVS. I'll certainly add them to Fly. The configuration can imply; storing the cannon while at sea, making the cannon ready for battle or defense, laying out the cannon for inspection; etc. I reckon go for your visual choice. The frapping looks really hard and adjusting the rig buy using coils will be my repeat choice.

Cheers

Alistair

I'm getting all indecisive again... I still kind of think the dinghy shows off well on deck so might still go with that, and re do tackles of guns better..

dinghy would hide my holes from eye bolts.

Do you guys think this deck  layout would be okay? either way I took that rigging off guns for now, regards ollie

post-7066-0-59705500-1399624501_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-59708700-1399624517_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

I still favour the stern for the boat Ollie. But I'm into symmetry I guess.

Cheers

Alistair

Ollie My thought are regarding the access to the belaying pins on the starboard side where the boat is stored, it feel just a little cramped.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks again gang... I feel the same actually Michael, thanks for that input, i have decided to keep her mounted on the stern and get them canons rigged back up this afternoon..   Time to push forward..  Onto shrouds..    Regards Ollie

Ok canons are on the way.. Thinking it's much better. Big learning curve these finer points. It all just fits in there.. Couldn't have had tackle points any closer..

I read that it's much easier to add rope coils separate and just lay it over the existing rope, if that makes sense.. Regards ollie

post-7066-0-30506400-1399773066_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-34616100-1399773088_thumb.jpg

Hopefully will get a bit done later today.. Patching isn't finished yet in these photos, should tidy up reasonably.

I advise any one new to the whole canon rigging, should make a mock up port and get all the mountings placed in before the real deal... Regards ollie

Hi Ollie

The rig looks great.

John is right. Have a look at my post on KenW's Fair American of my AVS rig. The tackle is tensioned and then CA glued to the deck and cut (right hand side in the picture) the coil is laid over the top of the cut end (left hand side in the picture). Note that I think the coils I made are too big in diameter and there is too much rope on them.

Cheers

Alistair

Ollie:  I'm impressed with your workmanship; hard to believe it's your first model.

I favor the guns rigged as if awaiting an admiral's inspection (i.e. with coils and side tackles).  There are a lot of possibilities that are period correct.

Again, great work and I will continue to follow your build.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Alistair and ken..Thanks for all the likes gang..  :D   

I have finished my canons!! Woo.. I have realised all timber work is finished also.. its rigging all the way home now..

I am happy with the final outcome and it would be so much easier next time round.. 

post-7066-0-81094200-1399874385_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-35579700-1399874396_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-11665500-1399874413_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-05434800-1399874426_thumb.jpg

I am wondering how to keep excess rope on a cleat..? A neat rolled bundle hanging on the cleat or something else.. Or just wrap enough around the cleat itself?? Many thanks, ollie

post-7066-0-84292800-1399875448_thumb.jpg

Great outcome on the cannon rigs Ollie. Spot on to my eye. You're lucky to only have two to do but now you've cracked it onto a 74 gun ship for your next model?!

Cheers

Alistair

Hi all, had a day off yesterday and spent it in the shipyard..  Shroud time.. Oh and i was wrong when i said all timber work was done!! had the lanyard strips to make up.. :P

I had trouble getting them to all line up right even after lots of jigging and testing.. I had to take one pair off and redo them.. I am very pleased to have got a step forward, although i did some reading and perhaps i should have left the dead eyes loosened so i could take up final tension once other rigging applied..

I think it should be okay and i am planning to put satin gloss to set them.. 

I ended up using a card to get heights close to perfect alignment with channels I will use template to make sure lanyard strips go on paralell to channel..

Regards Ollie

post-7066-0-53680100-1400015101_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-90513200-1400015112_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-77141600-1400015127_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-25776900-1400015141_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-54766500-1400015150_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-57060700-1400015177_thumb.jpg

I will use the card to make sure lanyard strips are level and the same height on each side and set the way for ratlines..  Have a great day all... Ollie

post-7066-0-97377700-1400015302_thumb.jpg

Looking really sharp Ollie. Is that kit supplied rope? It looks really good and if it came with the kit it would definitely qualify as better quality than most kits come with.

Cheers

Alistair

cheers guys...  Yes Alistair, these are kit supplied from MS, very nice to use, i had been using some old Caldercraft line for canons and it was quite rough.. regards Ollie