HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Some great bits of info guys... I didnt think of the corrosion aspect of iron agant copper in salt water..  ...

When i was putting the hinges on, I did think to myself.. Jeez they stand out a bit against copper but not much more.. I probably noted this due to looking at other builds but not really noticing the bronze hinges yet...  I may just paint over them with some bronze coloured paint as they are brass.. i may just leave them black also..

Tom, that is interesting and makes some perfect sense.. I thought the rudder 'screws or bolts' may carry on through keel and rudder and become like a massive rivet..   All very interesting, i love these finer things about ship contruction...   Regards  Ollie

Hi all, My led project was tackled today amongst other things, quite a success..  I purchased a remote controlled 'led candle' off ebay for $11 delivered..

I gutted it and re wired and modified to suit, lost the progress pictures unfortunately.

Remote works from a bout a metre, but it will need some kind of 'line of sight' (you cant box the electronics completely if you want to remote to work properly.). It is housed inside the unit originally so it does work somewhat inside a model, but in a closed timber hull may be a bit much i think..  I get a pathway through my cut-away... 

How long this setup lasts in the long term is unknown. But it will get used rarely..  And if fails its no big loss or can be replaced..

The light is appropriate looking, dim and flickers well... I may put a lantern over it instead of just a crude bulb...   If anyone wants a link send me a msg i can provide one for Australian or NZ memebers.. 

NOTE - it would be safest to contain batteries in plastic bag or container in case of future leakage..

I had to make a video to help show the result..Excuse my mumbling..   Ollie

Forget about the mumbling mate, the pictures spoke for themselves!  An excellent job, the flickering light really enhances the model (which is looking great) - SWEET!!!!!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks so much everyone...  Adding 3 hrs to log..

Been sick as a dog last few days, so no progress until tonight.. 

I made some handles for my companionway, i flatten a brass safety pin of required thickness. Drill pilot holes then 1 mm holes to suit rings..  

post-7066-0-37599600-1393753759_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-09113500-1393753776_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-46720000-1393753785_thumb.jpg

I also scratched a tiller and fitted it.. everything you see here now is fitted..  

I made the bulwark steps and fitted my scratch stairs..  Progress will be slow for a while now, but i will be back soon enough.. Ollie

post-7066-0-07688100-1393753982_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-27733000-1393753988_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-42173700-1393753996_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-97374500-1393757977_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Marvellous stuff Mate, I likes how you made the door handles!

Oh and the Steps, both inside and outside the bulwarks look the business too.. there is a wonderful sense of realism about the build. 

All The Best Ollie,

Eamonn

Later Edit.. Now there are Barrels in there too... Brilliant !!!

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Eamonn. Your support is always appreciated. You cant see the little barrel really until you poke your head down and in a little. I like putting a few extras for people to find depending on their level of curiosity.. :)  

Totally agree Ollie, sometimes it is good to make people 'work for it' in the sense that they don't see everything in one go, I like paintings with that quality too, you can discover something new even after many viewings!

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi gang.. I have been struck down with a tropical virus, some of you may have heard of dengue fever... I'm not good for much at the moment..

Well i have done a few hours here and there when im not sleeping :huh: Ive tackled my painting...   i wont paint another model, it just takes too much away, i dont think i would copper again either...

Anyhow, keeping with my plan i now have a half painted ship and i am moving onto gunport lids...   Ollie

post-7066-0-20314400-1394012713_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-77222000-1394012728_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-74511800-1394012742_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-08290500-1394012751_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Still looks wonderful Ollie, though the unpainted is my favourite as your timber work deserves to be shown!

That said the Black & Grey is very functional on what is a 'work' boat!

Hope you feel much better soon Mate and that Dengue can't be caught over the computer!! am wearing a mask over here just to be sure :huh:  :huh: :huh:   ;)

Take Care Mate Ok!

Eamonn

BTW if you did that painting work when not feeling well then ... Daaamn, can't wait to see what you will do when you are well again!!

Sorry to hear of the DF Ollie, get well soon we need you back in the shipyard!  That's an unusual paint scheme for her.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks everyone, you can call me the "aerogard kid' now ;)     For those that dont know this virus is only transmitted by a certain type of mosquito in certain areas, only in daytime, you sort have to be unlucky..  There is 130 cases at the moment amongst a couple of hundred thousand residents..

I'm on the mend luckily as i'm also moving house!! And now we have a cyclone coming for the icing!!! :mellow:

Thanks everyone for your support and well wishes :D   ollie