HMS Euryalus by egen -

Rob and Egen,

In almost all cases where there was inconsistency between Steel, the Astrea/Curacoa contract and the drawings, the drawings were the default that I used. There were dozens, perhaps hundreds, of items where there were inconsistencies. It was a happy day when two out of three of the sources matched. I will look at the model and drawings to see if I can remember how I came to the conclusion I did reach on making the part itself. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you for your help.

I have not read the English text, and help me more pictures.

Therefore, I was not even the question of how to do it right. I have not read it. :)

But I still do not understand, I have to do transoms, which I noted in red.
It is unfortunate that the drawing shows the position of the stern transom not.

My thoughts are (and they could be wrong ;) )

Upper Deck Transom: top of this transom should be at the same level as the top of the upper deck beams so the deck sits on that transom or a rabbet in the transom. Slightly higher as the deck slopes up, and if this transom was as deep as the beams, it could sit on the upper deck clamp.

Seat above the upper deck transom is roughly at the level of the lower sills of the main gun ports, above line 3 I think.

Quarter Deck transom: the quarter deck fits into the rabbet of this transom so it should sit at a level for the quarter deck to run into it - line 5 I think

Transom of the Quarter Deck: about 6 in your drawing

Cheers
Rob

Current build: HMS Blanche 1800, Scratch POF

Egen,

Number 1 is the correct location  The drawing attached shows the line in red.  You can also see this in the plans in the inboard profile.

Allan

post-42-0-98054900-1366480736_thumb.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 3 weeks later...

druxey, thanks!

Allan wrote in the Volume 1 that there are no sources of these looked like his knees. That there are a few photos but it is difficult to see, especially I'm not sure about the knee 2.

I saw a blog Ed and I have his book, I even started a small construction. But Ed has used other sources for the project and it is very different from Euryalus.

She's looking beautyful.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Egen

It really does look great.

I need to go back to the contract and drawings to respond on the sleepers questions.  I do remember conversations between Wayne and me before coming to a conclusion but I do not remember if the results were gleened from information in the contract, Steel or some other source.

Sorry for the delay in this response.

Allan

Egen,

I do not have a printed copy of Volume I so I am not sure what page, but the sleepers are shown pretty clearly in chapter 6 on a drawing by Wayne with an   explanation of how I did them. Whatever way works best for you is the way to make and set them in place.

In  short I made templates of each sleeper using Sculpey clay and test fit the surrounding beams. once they clay sleepers were temporarily in place.  Once I was satisfied with the clay beams I baked them hard and used them as a model for making the wooden sleepers.

Hope this is of some help.

Allan

Thank you. I also use this method to find that right how to make complex parts. But my question was it the location, rather than on how to locate this form.
I enclose a photo of your book, this is all the information. But I would still like to see how it looked on the model from a different angle. It is in very short supply for the job.

I think I was right in my assumptions above.

post-355-0-68493600-1368269297_thumb.jpg

Use the lower deck beam, even if temporarily fit in place, to be the fit is correct.  You can also use the upper deck beam temporarily to be sure the scores in the bitts are OK.  The drawings are correct, but sometimes it takes a little bit field fitting to be sure the actual fit is correct.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

Egen,

The alignment of the carlings  is terrific! Poor alignment can distract from the appearance quite easily.  What changes did you make?  I am curious to see if we made a mistake in the book and would like to correct if necessary.

Thanks

Allan

No,it is only my mistakes. I made ​​the wrong shape of frame and got bulkhead hole. I added another ledges, that would be imperceptible. :)

I hope that this can be seen only the man, who knows drawings well. I was lazy that it to alter. :)

Egen,

The alignment of the carlings  is terrific! Poor alignment can distract from the appearance quite easily.  What changes did you make?  I am curious to see if we made a mistake in the book and would like to correct if necessary.

Thanks

Allan

can we see a photo of this please - Effie M. Morrissey

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Real beauty. Great build log. Thanks for sharing

Past build: BRACERA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

KIND REGARDS!

ELMIR

• 4 weeks later...

Egen, your Euryalus looks terrific and your rate of progress is impressive.

I did not cover the sleepers in Volume I, but installed them with the deck framing at each level. These are covered in Chapter 27 and 28 in Volume II and are shown on Drawing 8. As Allan has said, all these points are subject to interpretation and sources vary on detail, especially dimensions. Perhaps my following interpretation will be helpful.

The purpose of the sleepers was to reinforce the horizontal transoms and secure them to the framing. According to Steel (1805) they should bolt through as many transoms as possible specifically including the wing transom in frigates.

The fore and aft arms of both pair of sleepers and the wing transom knees bolt to the planking, not directly to the frames. The inner sleepers pass below the last lower deck beam and fay to the thickstuff below the lower deck clamps. The outer sleepers lower arms are above the lower deck and fay to the lower deck spirketing. The wing transom knees are scarphed into the the upper strake of lower deck spirketing but I could not be certain of exactly how that was done. Again the source is Steel.

For these reasons the installation of the sleeprs and wing transom knees should not be done before the internal planking.

I did not find the contracts very helpful on these particular members. For Naiad I used contracts for Artois class (1794) which included Diana which was contructed almost in parallel with Naiad and under the same Rule/Henslow joint surveyorship. I also referred to the Astrea contract which included Euryalus. They are virtually identical except for dimensions.

Hope this is helpful.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Egen,

:)  :)  :)

She looks beautiful. I find that the fairing done anywhere inboard is difficult.  It appears that you have mastered it quite well.

Allan