HMS Euryalus by egen -

Egen,

have you in the meantime tried to put the fore platform into the hull? I am very interested to see if it works as expected.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Egen, it looks fantastic. It seems that your fore platform fits perfect. I think I will copy the idea.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I'm not sure I'm ready to recommend this metod for all the user of forum. This is my first model and I make this model by "trial and error".

I think that the approach of EdT is more justified, he checks in the installation but then pulls out and everything comes together.

Egen

:cheers:  

I had my doubts that your idea would work, but am now a believer that there is  always something  new to consider or actually try.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Trussben, sonicmcdude  , AnobiumPunctatum, WackoWolf, harvey1847

thanks you for your interest in my project. A good words always inspire to continue its work! :)

Egen

:cheers:  

I had my doubts that your idea would work, but am now a believer that there is  always something  new to consider or actually try.

Allan

I think that these elements could easily fit inside the hull, when they are completed. The making of other decks this may create problems because they can not make all the outside of the hull. I have done the preparatory work for the lower deck, but I will dismantle it and do step by step beams.

I'm also waiting for my copy of the VOLUME  2, that would make the pump.

If I ever finish the Triton (hope so) and after looking the amount of detail of the interior work, I would like to do it again but with no frames at all.

When I see the draws of the decks on the AOS series books of any ship in example I think to myself “why not to build this or that deck?” They are beautiful by themselves.  The deck beams, the knees, the hatches, ledges, spur beams…

One question, Have you round the deck beams or are all “flat”?

Good work! I did like the way you lay down all the frames.

Daniel.

Великий строить! Я буду следовать сейчас. У меня есть книги и планы на Euryalus и хотите, чтобы некоторые день, чтобы построить ее, так что вы будете моим вдохновением!

Great build! I will follow now. I have the  book and plans on the Euryalus and want some day to build her, so you will be my inspiration!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Нет, я просто использовать Google переводчик! мой русский ограничен привет, спасибо и такие, я думал, что вы appriciate! Однако я был там несколько раз.Красивая страна

No I just use google translator! my Russian is limited to hello, thank you and the such, However I have been there several times. A beautiful country

What is the URL for the Russian Forum? Translating with google is easy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Egan,

I went to the site and find that it is very much like Model Ship World but larger and more expanded. I did follow one Build on the "Black Pearl" ("Черная жемчужина"), it was only two pages. I see the kit he is building uses MDF....not here but if it works guess it is ok. I will go back! Thanks

I also use the Google translator. :)

Russian forum here http://forum.modelsworld.ru/

You can send your questions in English, they more can understand. There are many models of masters Narim, Baranov, and many other

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, All!

To understand the correct form of the stern and contertimbers, I made a 3D model of  woods.

I'm not sure I understood correctly drawings. Really want to know the opinion of other builders.
To be install on the hull, I probably will do a new version, as there are very large gaps in the dovetail. :)

post-355-0-88036300-1366010744_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-94594900-1366010753_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-08419400-1366010761_thumb.jpg

Hi Egen

The innermost short counter (3rd from the side) is shorter. here's two of the images from Vol 2:

post-39-0-24687500-1366056408_thumb.png

post-39-0-50418200-1366056469_thumb.png

Ed T's Naiad counter is a good example to look at I think as well, although the dimensions of the transoms are different I think.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/232-hms-naiad-by-edt-160-frigate-38-1797/page-9#entry13950

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/232-hms-naiad-by-edt-160-frigate-38-1797/page-13#entry30660

Cheers

Rob

Current build: HMS Blanche 1800, Scratch POF

In your picture, the 4th frame in from the left is short as I expect it to be.

Sorry,  I didn't count the side counter piece before, my fault :angry:

Is the lower of your red lines a timber on the outside of the stern or a guide line?

Below the red line is the upper deck transom and above it is the seat, then the quarter deck transom and above that the "transom of the quarter deck'. Then the other smaller framing for the ports and around the helm port which look to be there on the left of your picture.

I did some rough transoms and put them where I think they'll be going here:

post-39-0-15147000-1366101736_thumb.jpg

I don't have the shorter counter timbers in yet, and ignore the rubber band ;) and wonky picture.

My dimension for the upper deck transom is only 8 1/2 inches broad (4.5mm) (book says 8 but plans say 8 1/2) and 5 inches (2.6mm) deep, and your upper deck transom looks bigger than that.

Yours looks to be 8 1/2 inches deep and perhaps 15" broad, which matches the upper deck beams?

Looking again at the upper deck plan in V2, the drawing of the stern seems to match yours better than mine.

post-39-0-78065000-1366102507_thumb.jpg

So apart from my question about the dimension of that deck transom, and what the lower red line represents, the way you have it on the left of the picture (<-----) looks ok to me.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by robbl

Current build: HMS Blanche 1800, Scratch POF

We may want to allow ourselves some latitude on the matter of the upper deck transom.  The 8 1/2 " dimension of the framing plan is taken from the contract.  The size of the transom on the drawing is taken from the original plans.  They do not match.  The transom on the quarterdeck framing plan is 8" in accordance with the contract but on the original inboard drawing it is 12".  My inboard drawing reflects the original inboard drawing and not the contract.   All along the way we were faced with this kind of contradictory evidence.  There was quite a bit of time between drawing the various components of the ship, so I suspect that is why in this case both sets of dimensions have made their way into the book and plans.

Where does that leave the builder?  In the same place as Mr. Adams at Bucklers Hard.  You will need to fit the piece in.  Alan built the model so he is more able to describe his process.  The inboard profile gives a larger timber with more room to accept the rabbet for the deck planking.  On the other hand, the stern was to be kept light.  Ed seems to have chosen the larger figure for Naiad (plan 13D).  

Anyway, that I think is the genesis of the problem.

Wayne