US Brig Syren by rvchima - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Yup, afraid so.  Just about the same items!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Did you call Model Expo and speak with them about the blocks? I am sure they could have supplied you with whatever you needed.

Russ

Russ is right. They will replace everything for free.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I've already contacted twice them about missing cannon balls and shortages of deadeyes. They did replace both for free, but it took 2-3 weeks to get the package. I ordered the deadeyes specified in the kit and received a scribbled note asking me to order from the catalog, which didn't match.

I understand that Frank, their long-time Service/Parts manager, retired.  They have hired a new person so things should be getting back to normal.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

More Extra Parts

My kit included 15 13/32" single blocks that were also listed in the parts list. The photo below puts these blocks into perspective - they are huge!

post-806-0-31870100-1373924572_thumb.jpg

These must be included by mistake. Or did I miss something major?

Update

According to Chuck, the 13/32" single blocks were added to the kits by mistake, and that ME is aware of the error.

Edited by rvchima

Are they included in the rigging plans? You might want to shoot Chuck a PM and ask him. He would know for sure.

Russ

Dolphin Striker Modification

I think I've broken my dolphin striker 4 times now. Reach for something under the bow on my bench, bump a line, and SNAP! Today I reinforced my dolphin striker by gluing an inverted V of music wire to it. Don't know if it will help, but I'd recommend it to anyone else building the Syren. Do it early and maybe you can hide it better.

post-806-0-78687900-1373924693_thumb.jpg

Nice idea on the striker.  I only nailed mine twice.

And yes, I also have the mystery blocks.  Figure I'll save them in case I ever do a 1:1 scale longboat.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Mail Order Blues

I ordered a selection of rigging line from Model Expo. It took 15 days to arrive. When I realized that I would run out of blocks I decided to hedge my bets and ordered from three different companies. Here's how that turned out.

Model Expo

I used their on-line Tech Support form to request replacement parts. The <send> button echoed my input to a new window but didn't seem to send anything.  After a week with no response I tried again, and the same thing happened. I think their site is not working correctly. I called them yesterday and the woman on the phone told me to send a request by e-mail. (Their are no e-mail addresses posted on their site.) No response yet, but it's only been 24 hours.

Ages of Sail

On July 14 I ordered 3 sizes of blocks, hoping that 2 would match. $14.75 for the blocks, $18.20 postage and handling. I got an immediate e-mail saying that my credit card had been charged and that I would get another e-mail when my order had been shipped. After 9 days I checked their on-line order tracking feature and saw that my order had been canceled. I e-mailed the company and got a response saying that they were not sure why the order had been canceled and would let me know. Yesterday I still had not heard anything so I e-mailed them again and asked to have the order canceled and my credit card refunded. No response yet, but it's only been 24 hours.

Bluejacket Shipcrafters

On July 23 I ordered blocks from Bluejacket Shipcrafters, and offered to pay extra for priority shipping if available. The next morning a very helpful woman called to tell me that next day air would be very expensive, but that they would ship the blocks priority mail for the standard $10 shipping charge. They arrived two days later. :)  The bad news is that they are cast metal. :( Caveat emptor.

Rod's Model House

A few days ago I decided to make my own 1/8" blocks using a leftover basswood strip from the kit. I made about 30 at a time in one long strip. I used Dirk's trick to score grooves down the center, filed little notches every 1/8" to round the corners, drilled between the notches, and finally separated the blocks with a razor blade. I stained the blocks with some walnut stain. The results were "acceptable," and allowed me to rig some hallyards that have been hanging loose for a month. The only problem is that the basswood blocks tend to split when I wrap a wire hook around them.

post-806-0-36475200-1375495109_thumb.jpg

Here's a row of blocks ready to be cut apart.

I still have a ways to go and hope that Model Expo sends replacement blocks soon. I am not looking forward to making 3/32" blocks. :o

Edited by rvchima

Sorry about the hassles and hope ME comes back up to speed.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Parts Shortage Update

Model Expo

The other day I sent an e-mail to Eric Snow at Model Expo explaining my shortage of blocks and rigging line. Eric responded immediately, apologized for their backlog, and offered to help. I told him that I no longer needed the parts (see below) and offered to send him a list of parts shortages and surpluses for the Syren, so that they can fine-tune the parts list in the future.

Ages of Sail

I e-mailed Roger Jeya at Ages of Sail again. He responded immediately, saying that they sold a lot of fittings lately (probably from all of you) and were having trouble getting enough Amati fittings. Today I received a package priority mail with 3 huge packages of beautiful Amati blocks. I think there are enough to rig another Syren. Thanks Roger!

Rod's Model House

In the meantime I made a bunch of 3/32" blocks. They weren't as bad as I expected. I also bought sewing thread that almost matches the 0.008" tan line supplied with the kit. It's not quite the same, but it's all on lower yards and looks OK. I'm almost done rigging. Photos tonight at 11 (probably tomorrow.)

Edited by rvchima

Belaying Lines in Yellowstone

If you've ever been to Yellowstone National Park, you know that the first time you see a bison (buffalo,) you stop along with 50 other cars for that perfect photo, and create a huge traffic jam in the process. After several days you've seen dozens of bison and just want to yell "Get out of the way so I can get to the lodge for a bison burger!"

That's what belaying lines to pin racks is like. You do the first pin perfectly. Down to the left, up to the right, repeat, make a twist, over the top, add a rope coil. On the last pin there are 10 lines in the way and you think "Ill just glue this string to anything that doesn't move." :D

post-806-0-89416300-1375905169_thumb.jpg

Anchors Aweigh

While waiting for extra parts I jumped ahead and built my anchors.

post-806-0-94099100-1375905787_thumb.jpg

I installed them as shown in the photos in the manual - right up against the catheads. Then I read ahead and realized that there was no room to add the double block and line that the anchors are supposed to hang from.

post-806-0-17854300-1375905789_thumb.jpg

So as Dirk always says, "deconstruction!" A line drawing in the plans shows the anchors hanging from the cathead. I plan to redo them that way.

Wow Dirk where did you find that? I always thought it was seized just like Rod has done.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Another Syren Hits the Seas

I'm finished. 526 hours. 217 days.

I actually finished Wednesday after a marathon 10 hour anchor reconstruction, but yesterday was my wife's birthday and I didn't have time to take photos. Happy Birthday Cinda! I'm back.

I just read in Wikipedia that the real Syren was launched on August 6, 1803. I completed my model on Aug. 7, 2013. Dang - I missed her 210th anniversary by one day!

post-806-0-26069600-1376064998_thumb.jpg

I had my doubts about the paper flags, but I love the splash of color aloft. I had to add a tiny wire to the gaff to hold the flag.

post-806-0-59461000-1376064994_thumb.jpg

526 hours. You probably can't build this model much quicker than that. I wasn't trying to rush but I do have other projects in the queue. I could have knocked 30 days off by skipping my vacation and my son's wedding. :)

Edited by rvchima

Details from Below

post-806-0-25114800-1376066055_thumb.jpg

Dolphin's eye view of the Syren.

post-806-0-31449300-1376066052_thumb.jpg

Reconstructed hanging anchors.

Dirk - I did not redo the knots on the anchor cable. None of my other knots are historically accurate. Why start now? I did use your salt and vinegar patina on the hull, and I love it!

post-806-0-24967500-1376066049_thumb.jpg

Don't you want to climb up there?

post-806-0-26243600-1376066046_thumb.jpg

Edited by rvchima

Congrats on the completion of your gorgeous Syren.  You certainly must have established the speed record for this project !

WELL DONE !

Any thoughts on your next project?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thank You MSW!

I really enjoyed building the Syren, but interacting with all of you made it that much better. Many thanks to Chuck Passaro for designing such a magnificent kit. I couldn't have done it without Chuck's awesome instructions. Thanks also to Model Expo for producing the kit and convincing me to buy it at the Cleveland hobby show last October. And finally special thanks to Augie and Dirk and everyone else for helping with all my dumb questions.

Rod

Shameless Spousal Promotion ;)

My wife, Cinda Williams Chima, is a New York Times best selling author of young adult fantasy novels. When I'm not building models I build her web site.

http://www.cindachima.com/

Her first series of books, The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir, and The Dragon Heir, are contemporary fantasy set in Ohio.

Her second series of books, The Demon King, The Exiled Queen, The Gray Wolf Throne, and The Crimson Crown, are high fantasy. Think Game of Thrones without the sex and lower body count.

Most of her books have been published in Dutch, German, Portuguese (for Brazil), Spanish, and French. And English.

If you, your children, or grandchildren enjoy reading fantasy, please check her website.

Rod

Congrats! So I should plan on more like 700 hours to build mine? Very nice work!

Very nice work, Rod.  She came out really great.  I like the photos from angles we don't normally see - the gulls-eye view in particular.  I am looking forward to your next effort.

When my granddaughter gets a little older I'll have to look into the book series - or I could just get my wife started now :)

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Congratulations. It is a fine looking model. Great details, great color scheme, just excellent work.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Syren Update - Case Completed

post-806-0-81790100-1379441257_thumb.jpg

I just completed a case for my Syren. It is my own design made from quarter-sawn white oak and plexiglass. The inner dimensions are fit to the Syren at 34" x 13" x 27" and the outer dimensions are 36" x 15" x 28".  Plexiglass is 1/6 the weight of glass so the case only weighs a few pounds and I can move it myself. The case is finished with a coat of Watco walnut stain, two coats of orange shellac to seal the grain, and several coats of a 1:1:1 mix of polyurethane varnish, boiled linseed oil, and mineral spirits.