J Class yacht Endeavour 1934 by henryjames - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:80 - First Ship build

Looks pretty good, like the way your bench area came out on the main cabin. Mine came out too wide.

I wouldn't gloss anything on the deck, satin at the most. I just used a sanding sealer over my deck and sanding it smooth and left it at that.

gotcha, I suppose that would make for a slippery deck!

and yes the deck furniture is super fiddly, I didn't even think about putting the acetate on first just soldiered on,

was very very tricky but just managed it. to be honest, once the brass window covers go on, you can't really see the stuff anyway so its not really a big deal.

Finished the winch thing, very fiddly with teh little brass handles,

liked LMDAVE's compass block wood surround, might have to copy that one!

Previous builds - Ummm does Airfix count???

Current build - Amati Endevour 1:80

right, more deck furniture,

I copied LMDAVE's lead and clad my Binnacle with

spare walnut, as opposed to painting it brown as teh instruction suggest.

Didn't have any green/red paint for port starboard, so raided the missus's

nail varnish collection - a great alternative!

Instrcutions suggest painting the ridiculusly fiddly winch black,

which I'm not to sure about, thoughts people?

I just need to re/sand /re/angle the control unit,

so the dials are more on an angle but otherwise most the deck equipment is done,

then finally painting :(

I have masked teh deck with delicate FROG tape, which has some special edge glue to the tape to

make a crisp edge, will report back on its effectiveness!

Didn't have any green/red paint for port starboard, so raided the missus's

nail varnish collection - a great alternative!

Yeah, I had green but no red. I used the red touch up paint I have for my Red Tundra truck. worked perfect. The winch was the lst thing I did on the deck and I was getting lazy and wanted to finish, so left it brass. Also had to make my own handle, didn't like the flat brass supplied one, so I just bent some wire in a "s" shape to make the two sides.

Hi HenryJames

Very nice work on your Endeavour!  I reckon you're doing a great job, especially with the deck fittings, etc.  The hull planking looks great as well.

Incidentally, once I finish my scratch build of Herreshoff's schooner, Ingomar, (see scratch build log), I'm going to start on one of Endeavour's sisters, i.e. Rainbow.  My scratch build will be a miniature scale, possibly 1/192 or smaller, but fully detailed inside.  Needless to say, I'll be following your build log with great interest because as I'll learn heaps from your ship!

Thanks and I will definitely enjoy following your build.

All the best!

Anyone have a leu about blocks?

I see LMDAVE used some brass wire,

It looks as though this is not in the kit provided, neither is any seizing thread,

Any thoughts here on whether I should get some brass wire or some thread.

I'm guessing using wire is going to be much easier?

I found some videos online where modelers strop blocks.  That showed me the basics of how to do it.  I also looked at a lot of images on rigging blocks online.  I was disappointed in the look of the cleats before and after painting them.  If I ever have them again, I will try to make my own out of wood.

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

and then finally added the water lines

and sprayed blue after I coated on some filler and sanded oads with wet and dry,

final finish is really nice, near mirror finish,

last thing to do is spray the hull with some humbrol gloss varnich,

then I can remove the deck tape.

Can confirm the yellow frog tape is superb, no leakage at all of paint, just brilliant stuff.

post-3187-0-31878500-1410205347_thumb.jpg

post-3187-0-66537400-1410205349_thumb.jpg

post-3187-0-91898700-1410205351_thumb.jpg

post-3187-0-17186000-1410205354_thumb.jpg

post-3187-0-48881600-1410205356_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok so then on to varnish, and what a nightmare, I applied humbrol gloss and it was useless,

it frosted and teh whoel hull went a frosted white!!!!

i tried polishing it out, but to no avail....

later that day I was in Aldi of all places, and saw they had a can of gloss varnish on sale for £2.99 and thought I'll try it,

turns out its brilliant, saprayed over the humbrol varnish and magically all frosting dissapeared,

I think its something to do with humidity, but any way DONT USE HUMBROL GLOSS VARNISH its useless!

after a few coats I had a mirror shine, removed the tape and the matt of the deck looked great.

also while I remember I actually oiled the hull with Tung oil prior so this may have had something to do with it,

but was worth it as has brought out the walnut a treat,

after this the sails, they came preprinted which at first I did not like, so decided to sew over all teh lines in white which helped.

I then dipped in 50:50 white glue and water, and left to dry, this created a great effect on the canvas and made the sails look quite real,

as it 'ruffled' the fabric.

I also applied 2mm strips of fabric to all edges with CA glue (both sides of sail) this took ages but was well worth it, they look great now;

• 6 months later...

Henry,

Just found your build log, and you have a gorgeous model--love those J boats! I'm working on a modified version of the Benjamin Latham, and it will be the yacht I wanted to build for my wife who passed in 2009. Instead of the forward hatches on the Latham, I will be adding another cabin similar to the cabin on the after deck, and staining the blocks (instead of painting them) will be more yacht-like. Great job on you Endeavour!

Bill

Edited by cg451

My library will never be complete, and my fleet will always be growing

Hi Henry

You've done a great job on your Endeavour. The fit and finish are superb and you should be deservedly proud of it.

If you're interested, I'm scratch building the modern version of the J Class Rainbow. Pls see my link below in my signature block.

Cheers and happy modelling!

Patrick