HMS Bellerophon 1786 by AON – scale 1:64 – 74-gun 3rd Rate Man of War - Arrogant-Class

I can't imagine how they did it either.

It seems like it changes direction at every step!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

three more quarter filler frames installed.

4 - three more quarter filler frames installed.jpg

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Thank you Gary.  I thought I understood it when I drew in 2016.  Six years later it seems I had to almost figure it all out again, even with my drawing, and those few by others.  Now that I am half way through the side quarter framing it seems easy enough.

Alan O'Neill

"...seems easy enough." Just wait a bit before you make such a rash statement, Alan! The other counter timbers have to converge just so, or the stern lights won't come out nice and evenly. But, so far, so good!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Yup.

I has deleted my last paragraph to Gary about closing up the stern because I was afraid I was getting ahead of myself.

I will be so happy when this part is completed acceptably.

Alan O'Neill

Alan there is a good article by John Franklin in Model ship Wright, HMS Egmont(74) 1768 41/4 and 42/29 that will give you some help on building your stern. I used his article's  and David Anscherl such as Drawing Techniques for the Modeller and his 64 gun ship Polyphemus. If you don't have them let me know and I will copy them and send them to you. They always had such wonderful article's it a shame they stop producing them. Gary 

I have issue 42 (part 2) but not issue 41 (part 1).

Other than a couple photos it doesn't seem to offer much guidance for the side quarter frames.

Am I wrong?

Alan O'Neill

Another step closer on Thursday.

Nothing done yesterday or today as I'm getting yard work done.

Those doorways were awfully narrow!

5 - three more.jpg

6 - plan.jpg

Alan O'Neill

Gary

I've found the nine part series of Traditional Wooden Shipbuilding by David White to be very informative but even he doesn't seem to spend much time on the stern and quarter galleries.

Alan O'Neill

Hi Alan. I sought of got hung up with my printer. Tried to scan the picture in to the computer but kept wanting a password. O well. I took a photo of the side and aft view which may help. He does go in to more info then any thing else I found. Let me know what you think of his article. Gary

DSC_0761.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

I also like David White articles Traditional Wooden Shipbuilding, but he didn't finished them. I believe the last article seem's to be missing, at least I believe it is. Those articles in Model Ship Wright opened up my eyes to what really was. 

Gary

Re the scan you posted

I didn't see that in my pdf.  I might have missed it.

I will double check.

Alan O'Neill

Gary

what article was the page you scanned from?

Alan O'Neill

Yes I can see the page number.

What is the article, magazine, edition, author.

Sorry but I am cuffuffulde and cannot figure it out.

Alan O'Neill

Sorry about that, I had a brain fart. Model Shipwright, Issues 41, September 1982,  HMS Egmont, part 1, 74(1768) starts at page 4 and run's to page 13, author is John Franklin. Hope that help good sir. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

That is why I cannot find it.   I do no have issue 41!

Could you possibly PM me that complete article so I can add it to my collection.

I originally was given a stack of different magazines and I scanned the articles that related to my build and filed them on the computer for future reference.  Then I gave the magazines away to our local club members.  Issue 41 was not in the stack.

Your comment about David's drawing Techniques article was not lost on me.  I only have part 1.  Are there others and do they discuss the stern?

Alan O'Neill

I have to look and see if I can find any more of David's drawing techniques article. I think there is one more and will take a look.  Here is the start of 41  and I also found the conclusion of John's articles which I have also inclosed. DSC_0762.thumb.JPG.540ae273fd3a605e9a420dc742685df6.JPG

DSC_0763.JPG

DSC_0764.JPG

DSC_0765.JPG

DSC_0766.JPG

DSC_0767.JPG

DSC_0768.JPG

DSC_0769.JPG

Thank you Gary.

This is fantastic!

Alan O'Neill

There is a 2 part to David's  Drawing Techniques for the modeler but doesn't really have any thing really on the stern other then correcting the stern tilt so you can make the parts for the ship the right length. If you want it let me know and will add it. Also if you want I can delete some of the Franklin stuff so it doesn't clutter up your log once you have down loaded them unless other's want this to. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Hi Alan,

I once scanned all the articles written by David White and published in the Model Shipwright magazine.

They are an invaluable treasure for information on 18th century shipbuilding.

The scans are bundled into a pdf document and I printed it out to have it on my workbench.

See the next 2 pictures that show the result.

SAM_0804.thumb.JPG.d44c5013ab9e207073ab5297a436e3bf.JPG

SAM_0805.thumb.JPG.76e8b0848f7990f73ccc56f1669f7d6c.JPG

If you are interested in the pdf, here is a link where you can download it:

https://we.tl/t-kKyChhdXqo

This document is made and intended strictly for personal use.

I hope you can find good information in it.

Best regards,

Kris

Hi Kris. Thank you for putting the Pdf here and just to let you know I downloaded it for my self for my own personal use.  Have a question, where did you have your's  bindet? Have to see if I can find a place to do that for me. 

Edited by garyshipwright

Up here when can have it done at Staples.

Alan O'Neill

Sprial type wire binding I think.

Alan O'Neill

Hi all. Thanks for posting this pdf. I will put it to good use!  I will be posting a log soon. Gary and I have been talking a bit. He pointed out this log by AON. THANKS 

guy

The Road goes ever on and on

Out from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

Let others follow it who can!

Let them a journey new begin,

But I at last with weary feet

Will turn towards the lighted inn,

My evening-rest and sleep to meet.