HMS Bellerophon 1786 by AON – scale 1:64 – 74-gun 3rd Rate Man of War - Arrogant-Class

The plans show two stairs at the bow. Both enclosed on all sides with a door on one likely so no one falls down the hole.

3-OrlopDeckPlan.jpg.0b600466b226445a3c7409ca15f35dca.jpg4-OrlopDeckPlan.jpg.aa4692ad0a2f98f0e415d23b16b08bc6.jpg

So I made a set of ladders per the above drawings. At 24" wide they are quite narrow.

5-LadderParts.jpg.fd20bc365ab9ee2c080f33ceda0f2202.jpg6-twoLadders.jpg.6d53072a8c4a07431501de0f832cc0bb.jpg

They have been installed but I want to get some flush flooring and grating installed before the reveal.

As I did not install the platform below they hang midair, but no one is likely to notice that.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

That walking tour is a gold mine of information. It was a huge resource in the construction of my Victory.

Cheers,

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

I've been cutting and fitting beams. Fixing them in place temporarily with a tiny dab of glue so I can mark the notch alignments properly.

Not quite all done yet as I had to cut and sand more stock.

Meanwhile while I wait for glue to dry I've made a sled adaptor from scraps for my Byrnes table saw to cut the notches in my grating ledges.

The grating is made of ledges and battens.

for a 74 gun ship

- the fir ledges are 3" broad x 3.5" deep

- the oak battens are 3" broad x 3/4" deep

My saw blade is 0.57" wide which is 3.65" at 1:64 scale.... close enough!

I found a finishing nail at 0.55" diameter... perfect!

I used the nail (cut down to fit in the grove depth) as the pin on which the stock groove is incrementally stepped to cut the next groove.

I drilled a friction fit hole for the nail.

My grooves are slightly larger than the real ones at scale but we will keep that to ourselves.

The sled adaptor is clamped to the table saw sled so it doesn't shift.

I also found I needed to lift the stock clear and blow the sawdust away or it would lift the stock and I wouldn't get a full depth groove.

Now I need to slice up these into individual ledges then cut my battens to fit.

7 - grating sled.jpg

8 - grating sled pin.jpg

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

When cutting the ledges into individual pieces I first tried passing it through the blade with the notched side down.

That was a mistake as the blade tore the nubs off.

Then I turned it over and all was good.

9cuttingledges.jpg.7204d18a28e9b85f8431ded77aabeccd.jpg

The battens were cut with the same setup with less concern for what side was up or down.

The assembly was done on the build jig.

10-assembly.jpg.f35b5230ba8eec4e5501f92f790999ce.jpg

When the white PVA glue was dry the sides were sanded square and the top of the battens flush with the top of the ledge nubs.

Here is the result of my very first grating ever.

11-sanded.jpg.1f8be73cfe0f25d949878ffe77c03eef.jpg

Presently all the Orlop deck beams are temporarily glued in place to mark all the notch locations for carlings.

They will be removed to cut these notches on the bench as, try as I might, I could not manage to do them on the model.

It is a combination of the depth in the hull, the size of chisels I have and my skill level/confidence at this stage.

Possibly the higher decks might be a bit easier???

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

slow going but I marked all the beams, removed them and am cutting and installing them one at a time to assure all the notches align properly.

slowly getting used to making shallower notches

getting used to it all

by the time I get to the gun deck I'll be... not quite a master at it but much better!

13.jpg

12.jpg

Alan O'Neill

Everything looks good from a distance. Just ask my wife!  🤣

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

It has been an interesting week.  Lots to report!

I installed all the beams and hadn't really notice "it" yet. Just in the zone happily moving along with things.

Started putting in the carlings and as I approached midships it became obvious.

What shall I do about it? Installing the orlop deck was meant to be a learning experience to prepare me for those above. The orlop deck was decidedly too deep for anything to be readily noticeable, so lets just move on.

Installed all the carlings and it was still there taunting me... "what?" you ask... the hump!!

The aft and fore are high and the deck does a gentle slope downwards towards the midships... or at least that what it looks like on the plans.

Mine has a noticeable rise or camel hump in it. I just won't look at it... but it is still there.

15.jpg.a764933997f3359887ce4342a666ea08.jpg 16.jpg.3318d62e7e43e0b717234f16d02a0994.jpg

I decided to work on the ledgers and needed to make card templates as seen above. I installed them low, down on top of the deck clamp as their thickness plus the grating thickness equalled the beam height. This made sense to me. I could find no photos to suggest I was right.

I woke up this morning having made a determined decision in my sleep. I should have dealt with it, the hump, when I first noticed it. I hope this time I've finally learnt that lesson!

I measured the damage... about half a deck clamp in height. How it happened is of no importance, besides, I don't know the answer. Possibly my deck clamps slipped under the  wooden clamps used to hold it in place when glued.

I determined which deck beams needed to come out. Cut the smaller carlings with my snips and used my flat nosed parallel pliers to persuade the larger ones to come out... almost like pulling teeth. Used the same pliers to remove the deck beams.

17.jpg.33452d1ecd59e06e32c9fa8dabd00c32.jpg  18.jpg.c778bf36ffdab9ceb04aa839b2ddece9.jpg

Marked the deck clamps and chiselled out the material to, at best, make the hump flat with the lowest points either side of it as seen above.

19.jpg.f4fcc7835dd6e3243cf8ebf6237fe5d8.jpg

Reinstalled the beams and checked for flatness. Success! Glued and weighted them down until the glue sets up.

20.jpg.70f58e366e0d625cbec1d41efbd36cbe.jpg

I feel much better about it now. When all is said and done I'll be thinking of how I corrected it, not how it is still hidden down there.

Alan O'Neill

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Rather then continue work on my standard knees, grating, decking or the last of the three stairways to the hold, I decided it was time to tackle the thing I've been avoiding... the hawse holes.  The contract states they are 15" diameter, 15/64" at scale.  I first double checked my heights then drilled my pilot holes at 5/64".

0-hawseholemishap.jpg.a76b2dbf7311b1939433bbe30c393fc2.jpg

Next, with a new sharp bit,  I drilled one inboard hawse hole very carefully and slowly with a backing board held on the inside.

Success!  That was easy.

Drilled the outboard hole and it happened. She split and flew off.

That was unexpected.

1-hawseholemishap.jpg.ffe30fd21cd7ba889950daac2bb9b9ac.jpg

I setup the other side with clamps to help hold her together.

The outboard face of each of those holes have tear out chips in them!

2-hawseholemishap.jpg.d3b0e7b1b1b4190119d17e6c62ea340a.jpg

So, I did the only thing left to do.

Glued the broken piece back on, clamped it up and left the room.

3-hawseholemishap.jpg.3228e6a271f757f34a61f771487fbead.jpg

I won't be back working on her until Monday afternoon.

Good night world.

😉

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

• The title was changed to HMS Bellerophon 1786 by AON – scale 1:64 – 74-gun 3rd Rate Man of War - Arrogant-Class