Washington 1776 by Mike 41 - FINISHED - 1:48 - row galley

I sure like the way this is going together. The precision reminds me of surgeons preparing for an operation

post-950-0-66419800-1394037171_thumb.jpg

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

<sigh!>

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Mike,

Dang!  You guys have a roof not made out of canvas!

I see you are using beech for your gundeck framing as well.  I did not notice it with the other framing, but it really shows here.  Do you only use if for faming or will you use it for planking in any areas?  I was thnking about using it for ceiling planking for my next project...give it that miniature oak look.  Thoughts?

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck,

The problem with our roof is they only bought enough boards to do the starboard side. The guys on the port side still get wet when it rains.

This is the first model that I used beech for all the framing. It is real easy to work with and gives that miniature oak appearance. I used it for deck planking on the Pennsylvania and exterior planking on the Pinta (posted on Model Ship Builder) it is a good all-purpose wood.  I will use blood wood for the ceiling planking on the Washington. 

Have you used bloodwood before? I like the look when freshly cut, but it darkens over time. I guess you need to put a finish on it rather quickly.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Mike, you sure don't disappoint with the regular updates. The framing looks great!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Chuck,

I usually finish bloodwood fairly soon after using it. Try the link to USS Pennsylvania – (1837) I used quite a bit of bloodwood in the section and it doesn’t look too bad.

Patrick,

Thanks I will finish the framing tonight and post an update tomorrow.

Mike 

Mike, the finished framing looks great. How much of the deck are you going to plank?

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Mike,

What guns will you be using?  John Bratten* lists WASHINGTON as having 1x 18 pounder, 1 x 12 pounder, 2 x 9 pounders and 6 x 6 pounders.

*The Gondola PHILADELPHIA & the Battle of Lake Champlain, by John R. Bratten

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck,

There will be 1 – 18 pounder, 1 – 12 pounder, 1 – 9 pounder, 3- 6 pounders on the gundeck and 3 swivel guns on the quarterdeck. I guess they had to roll the guns around to shoot something on the ports side….

Mike

A good, varied assortment. It should look interesting.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Looking good, Mike.  Now I grasp the concept of the clamps, string, and what appears to be hooks for securing the planks while the glue dries.  But the BFG and nails...?????

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The gratings and planking look great! Did you make your own grating material or is that something that we can get as an after-market item?

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Mark

Thanks by using wire hooks and rubber bands it is easy to adjust the tension on the planks as the glue dries. The framing hammer just shows how small the model actually is.

Patrick

I make all my own grating and ladders from boxwood using a Proxxon table saw and a jig.

Mike  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Daniel,

I am sorry about the slow response I just got back home from vacation. One week in Stockholm and a week in Basel they are both beautiful cities.

I will be posting some progress on the exterior planking in the next few days.

Mike

The planking and wales look fantastic! Great work.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne