model expo & Euro kit manufacturers

hamilton

Hi there:

When I first started ship modelling "way back" in 2009, ME carried a much more extensive variety of European manufactured kits (Mantua, Victory, Amati, as I recall - perhaps others I forget). Does anyone know whether there are any plans to reintroduce these lines? ME is by far (for us N. Americans at least) the most convenient and affordable source of ship kits...it would be great to see a wider variety of manufacturers represented - specifically Amati and Caldercraft. Perhaps there are barriers to carrying these lines that I don't see or understand....does anyone know?

Thanks

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton

I don't know the answer to your question re ME and what they stock

But the cost of importing and holding stocks and supplying service for multiple kit

ranges would be significant

You should look at sourcing these kits for the UK

Freight from the UK to Canada would only take a few days.

It works for us here in Australia

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

There are other sources for those kits here in the States.  A bit of Googling on a given kit (or maybe ship model kits) should give you most of them. Now service, etc. probably won't be as good as ME.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

ME is only carrying Corel and Mamoli imports now per thier website.  They even have ceased carrying OcCre kits, however they might still special order any kit that you wish from the European manufacturers.  The cost of those kits is becoming almost prohibitive for any US distributor to carry any kind of inventory.  I have ordered from the European manufacturers directly and have not been disappointed in their delivery.  The freight cost can push toward and above $200.00 though, but that is either UPS or FedEx which usually arrives in great shape well packaged, the three or four weeks that it takes can be trying for some though.

I did find a US distributor of OcCre kits near San Francisco CA, and they carry a decent inventory of each OcCre kit.  The link is here:  http://www.occreusa.com/index.html and is a division of Ages of Sale.  Prices are good and orders ship in a few days.

Sir Charles Edward

Current build:  Montanes by OcCre;

Pending Builds:  Sao Miguel by Mamoli;

Albatross by Constructo;

Albatross by OcCre;

Wappen von Hamburg by Corel;

Royal William by Euromodel;

Past Builds:  Santa Maria by Mantua;

Half Moon by Corel;

Golden HInd & Yacht Mary by Mamoli;

Sharke by Sergal;

Dallas & Scottish Maid by Artesania Latina.

On the shelf in boxes:  Berlin by Corel;

Royal Louis by Mamoli;

Nuestra Senora del Pilar by OcCre

Thanks Ken and Mark:

I have ordered a kit from the UK before from a small retailer - the kit price was good, but I hate hate hate paying UPS brokerage fees and that's who they shipped with. I understand that Cornwall Model Boats uses UPS as well, which is why I have been hesitant to order anything through them. 

My experience with ME has always been good - had a bit of a wait on my last order, but since I have 4 kits on the shelf waiting to be built it didn't exactly try my patience. Anyway, thanks both!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I found a retailer out of Florida that may be of help. www.historicships.com. Haven't tried ordering from them yet but they do have a decent selection of both US and EU manufacturers. They will ship to US and Canada via UPS. May not hurt to check them out

Carl

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

I found a retailer out of Florida that may be of help. www.historicships.com. Haven't tried ordering from them yet but they do have a decent selection of both US and EU manufacturers. They will ship to US and Canada via UPS. May not hurt to check them out

Carl

I ordered my Pegasus kit from that site. Things arrived in good order with no issues. I should add that when I ordered, he was out of stock and forwarded my order direct to his supplier (Ages Of Sail as it turned out), for shipment direct to me. So I would have to class that in the "good service" category.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Here is a supplier in California who carries all European manufacturers. I have ordered fittings from them, but not a kit. Their website navigation is a primordial mess, but they stock what you are looking for.

http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Be careful with ordering OCCRE kits from Ages of Sail, check the difference in prices from them with

Cornwall Model Boats in UK, there is a major difference in US dollars, shipping charges are probably included  in Ages

prices on all kits from them, not only OCCRE.

Hi Hamilton,

I spoke with ME a while ago and they said companies like Mantua were dropped because of poor customer service. Right now, "Ages of Sail" out of California propbably has the best selection of kits from most all of the manufacturers. I have purchased several from them over time and their service is excellent and delivery quick.

Vince P.