Spanish Galleon 1607 by kirill4 - Lee - PLASTIC - 1:100

Yes, there is a plan to do this with bonaventure ...

and I want try to change scale from 72 to 100, than model will represent a bigger ship than GHind

and to rearrange location and to add some guns ports...

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!!! Comrades ... it's a shame to make this building with such delay...

I'm making modest attempts to complete this long-term construction ... I'm trying to finish the anchor buoy + anchor gear arrangements based on information from John Harland "Seamanship in the age of sail"

anchor 03.jpg

anchor bouy 02.jpg

anchor bouy.jpg

anchors and bouys.jpg

blocks 01.jpg

blocks 02.jpg

blocks.jpg

Shape and general idea of the bouy taken from here:

John Harland" Seamanship in the age of sail",

SOS 1637 by John McKay,

20210314_100404.jpg

20210314_100433.jpg

Cask Buoy - European ca 1425.jpg

B.E.

Michael,

Thank you very much for attention to my building :)

Small  progress :

"designed" the hinges of the cannon port covers on a new basis, made an imitation with the help of an acrylic contour "dark silver" ... removed the imitation of ropes for opening the lids ... will be without ropes

anchor 04.jpg

contur.jpg

hinges 01.jpg

hinges 02.jpg

Kirill, this is really a masterpiece. A testament of what can be done with a humble plastic kit as a base and a ton of skills to upgrade it. 
Thank you for sharing! 

Current build: Cutty Sark - Revell - 1:96:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25323-cutty-sark-by-bruma-revell-196/

Hello everyone! a little continuation ...

No 1 "redesigned" the rudder...

painted in the color of the underwater part, a couple of years ago there were objections that the rudder  should also be painted, like the underwater part of the hull ...

removed the "safety" chains, put cable ...

I can't remember what they are called ... and there are big doubts that it is necessary to show them like this ...

it seems there should be only one cable ??? I do not mean a hoist for emergency control, but a cable that would hold the rudder blade and prevent its loss in case of accident ...

somewhere there was recently information on this topic, but I can't remember where !!! crezy

try to check the pictures of the Dutch artists which I have, but there the rudder  is not secured  in any way ...

I continue to design \ improvisation \ anchor device, information from the books by John Harland "Seamanship in the age of sail" and John McKay "SOTS 1637" ...

Honestly, here I'm just trying to reproduce those working diagrams that are presented in the books, for the sake of interest by and large ... but, how to say, on the scale of the model, the geometry of engineering structures does not fit in any way, (in the sense of this form, I think it won't work properly: oops) but here it is, that is ... what Vincenzo Luszi (author of this reconstraction , and this plastic kit reproduction)"prescribed", as they say ... you won't go too far :( 

DSCN6969.JPG

DSCN6971.JPG

DSCN6973.JPG

DSCN6974.JPG

DSCN6976.JPG

DSCN6977.JPG

DSCN6979.JPG

DSCN6980.JPG

DSCN6981.JPG

have big doubts I did my rudder-pendant in right way... need to make some rearrangements...

I would like to make it as it is shown on WR model pictrs 05,06... understood this is too far from spanish galleon period and historic accuracy but |I like this version... anyway I don't have other clear evidance how it could be\ or must be  arranged on the end 16-early 17 th century galleon...🤔😁

sorlin 01.jpg

sorlin 02.jpg

sorlin 03.jpg

sorlin 04.jpg

sorlin 05.jpg

sorlin 06.jpg

Kirill - when there is a lack of any clear evidence pointing you in the right direction, I like to think about what makes the most practical sense; given the rudder’s importance to the ship, it makes sense that it would be secured from both sides for added insurance.

It is another curious thing that - despite the super detailed drawings of the Elder VDV - he never seemed to draw the rudder pendants.  And the ships are always depicted in the heat of action, or the immediate aftermath when the pendants would surely have been in place.

Shoutout to Arsenio Hall: things that make you go “HMMMM”!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Marc!

You just spoke loudly my thoughts  !!!:)))z

I don't know why... WR model had a few modern time reconstructions... and this is made it not relaible 100%  source any more, but it seems  very logical ( regarding modern sence) in respect of rich of rigging details and it looks very nice and I like it very much from estetic point of vew :)))... and rudder details as well seems to me very logical ...

There are rudder pendats and at the same time we could see emergency rudder tackles fitted! 

I don't belive that all this things should be fitted sumaltency , but they are !

May be it was made just for more demonstrative purposes ,how all thise things works!?

If need to be more hustoric accurate, I think we need to follow what shown on  VDV Elder / Yonger pictures as well ...

By the way, same arrangements of rudder pendahts- one only from one side( as on the VDV arts) we could see on that famous model oof dutch 17th c. ship

15 Der Hollandische Zweidecker1660_70.jpg

Kirill regarding the rudder, the logical thinking to me would be the pendant whether single or double would lead to the deck  where one can have some control of it as illustrated in the William Rex photo or thru the transom  like in your last picture. Do you plan to rig the fish pendant tackle also?, it's seldom ever seen rigged on models mainly because it would be removed once the anchor is secured, but just adds that much more detail. I rigged it on the starboard side of my Victory.

Michael D.

Good day Michael,

Yes,  I have  such plan to rig the fish pendant tackle ...

I try to follow information from the books John Harland "Seamanship in the age of sail" and John McKay "SOTS 1637" , as I mentioned in #128...

Have idea just to demonstrate rigged devices in actions without certain scenario :))) ...

Franckly speaking , when imagine real situation, converting this scale model back to real size, I think things  will not work ...there are numerous serious problems with entire design and almost  each components  ...dimensions,proportions of the hull and rigs,deck stuff - all wrong!:)))

but as kind of art object only,as fantasy spanish galleon, it could has right to exist ! :)))... 

There are much more plastic models of scailing vessels designed more accurately...

Could You give link to your Victory build please?

in there is description in 

do plan 

Hi Kirill,

I totally agree with you on all counts and really the only resolution is to scratch build the ship to as exact scale as possible and  one can spend a decade and easily more on such a project. I thought I provided a link in Marc's build log?, granted It's only pictures....HMS Victory of 1765 - Google Photos

Michael D.

6 hours ago, kirill4 said:

Franckly speaking , when imagine real situation, converting this scale model back to real size, I think things  will not work ...there are numerous serious problems with entire design and almost  each components  ...dimensions,proportions of the hull and rigs,deck stuff - all wrong!:)))

but as kind of art object only,as fantasy spanish galleon, it could has right to exist ! :)))... 

I agree — and what a wonderful art object it is!  Such amazing detail — it looks real, even though it could not be real.

Michael,

Thank You very much for the link to your Victory.

It is Great! I realy can imagine how it was complicated and interesting to make all of this details! Exelent job You did!!! :)))

Jeff, Thank You for kind comments and attention to my build :)))

Thanks Michael for this fotoes!

It is Great !!! Great building !

I can only imagine , but wery well imagine :) how it was and how much costs in all aspects- to complete such project!!!

Fantastic job!!! :)))

Some years ago I purchased a few most famous in the world :) big scale plastic models ...that time (approx 10 years ago ...)I planned to assemble them somewhere in the future, one by one :))) ha - ha! :)

but now looking at your model and dafi Victory , I realaised it could be life time project for me  , to complete only one set ///OK , may be two of them! :)))

Hello everyone, a small sequel - "designed" the balcony, I wanted it to have muzzles, based on the Galleons in the Vroom paintings ...

ps 01.jpg

sbs 01.jpg

001.jpg

mordi 01.jpg

potal 01.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by kirill4

:)

it was some conventional two components epoxy massa... "cold welding" something... actualy it is not good for modeling purposes, just it was under hand, and I used it...

Hello everyone! :)
Re: post 129 ...
Slightly reorganized the "steering gear" ... again, without much historical reference, if only to the William Rex model, or Prince William: shock: but certainly not to the Spanish Galleon of the early 17th century, although why not?
There must have been some similar device!

DSCN7008.JPG

DSCN7010.JPG

DSCN7012.JPG

DSCN7013.JPG

DSCN7018.JPG

Thank you Michael,

Oh!! No!!

I see ,I misplaced  blocks position! Should be other way around!

Damn!😡

need to rigg it again!

Good day everyone!
remade "steering gear"... and prepared guide blocks for blind sheets

DSCN7019.JPG

DSCN7022.JPG

DSCN7027.JPG

DSCN7033.JPG

DSCN7030.JPG

DSCN7035.JPG

DSCN7038.JPG

Dear Marc!

Thank Your very much !!! :)))

It gives motivation when someone else watch your plastic model  experiments!!!

One month remains till the end of my vacation...

And!

I'm seriously intend to complete this fuk...g looong project in this time :))) !!!

Good day Michael,

Most probably - Airfix " Golden Hind"... 

I liked very much how accurate  they present elizabethuan galleon...

I want to imagine it like 1:100  scale , not actually as kit stated " GH",...

I waht to make a little bit rearangements ... and make it with 4 masts ...planned to make it like some kind of "Elizabeth Jonas "model,mixed with Piter Kirsch reconstraction of english galleon 🤪

And as mix of futures and  decors as in this famous pictures( Vroom as on extrime right side galleon shown)...

Elizabeth Jonas 1588.JPG

91PWOShPQfL._SL1500_.jpg

Hendrik_Cornelisz._Vroom_-_The_Arrival_of_Elector_Frederick_V_of_the_Palatinate_and_Elizabeth_Stuart.jpg

Revenge by Matthew Baker.jpg

English ships and the Spanish Armada, August 1588.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Good day everybody,

Continue with making anchor gears ... started with port side , I fixed anchors to the hull constraction and chanel by the pieces of metal wire...

anchor fishing 02.jpg

anchor fishing.jpg

anchor knot.jpg

anchor shifts.JPG

cat back_second cat back.JPG

fish-davit.jpg

Edited by kirill4