SS Bohuslän 1914 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - Billing Boats - scale 1:50 - Swedish museum steamer

Thank you for your words Joe,

I am glad you like this old Steamer, it is quite a rare kit...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Joe,

the compressed building time was appr. 1,5 years but because many of the started parts have been laying around idle in boxes, on cupboards, it spread over a period of at least 10 years, it was nearly forgotten by myself

Nils

Thanks David

For your comment

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Nils, I'm glad after 10 years you remembered and finished her.  You did a super job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thank you Bob,

I got her out of the dark when I was looking for an object to do Trial metal plating on. I was satisfied with the result and transfered the technique to the other follow builds. At that time I recognized what a gem that old Lady was, and I decided, it was definately worth finalising her. Many of the original kit parts had gone lost, the Panels for cutting out the small parts were wavy, but the lifeboats I built in the early beginning, and they were carefully wrapped and secured in a drawer in my bedroom, and I still had the overview drawing

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 9

this is the last part of this build,

although the are some Little things I would like to add, or to Change next time I open the glass case

post-3445-0-55446800-1397376583_thumb.jpg

I was quite happy that the glass case fitted exactly on the wardrobe it is Standing on

post-3445-0-51076600-1397376585_thumb.jpg

the brass data plate is fitted within the case

post-3445-0-36441000-1397376587_thumb.jpg

Impression of the plating bow area

post-3445-0-34671900-1397376589_thumb.jpg

and Stern area

post-3445-0-47474000-1397376591_thumb.jpg

this Position is concentrating, nearly interfearing on railing, funnel stay, steering chain, Davit tackle, but all is properly fastend to it own tackle point

post-3445-0-68293500-1397376593_thumb.jpg

foredeck is a nice Meeting place for Young couples

post-3445-0-73159300-1397376597_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-35071300-1397376600_thumb.jpg

foreseen anchoring place

post-3445-0-90377500-1397376601_thumb.jpg

the depth marking is made with regular Mirosoft Excel and to be printed out on one side adhesive transparent foil, or on Photopaper. Shall save this up to the next opening of the glass case, when the sternlight is also to be changed from green to White.

I hope the presentation of my Bohuslän build log was liked, even though the framing, planking and hull building was not shown in this case due to lack of photos

Auf wiedersehen

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Nigel,

for you nice and appreciative words

I will now concentrate on my Pegasus again...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Congratulations on another beautiful ship.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks to both Bob + Bob

for your Kind words

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils,

What a great model that is you have built! Another unusual kit produced by Billing. Like you I have really appreciated the unusual subject vessels they have chosen to produce kits. They are a nice change.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Peter,

I agree with your remarks regarding to Billing Boats products, at least those of several years back, I also built the L'Etoile topsail schooner and the Marie Jeanne thunny fisher with the two Long fishing poles. I much regret that I had`nt bought the Hjejlen sidewheel paddle Steamer kit then. Of course it is pittyful off the market since many years already.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

this is a beautiful ship Nils.......great detail from bow to stern.  I know you have  'Peg' in the works.......have you got another build planned?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Popeye,

except for the "Peg" which shall take my full concentration for the next weeks and months I have no other build planned in the Moment.

I do have so many ideas, wishes, and probably would be gathering data of certain ships for my archives though when sighting by coincidence data of what may be of possible use for the future

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Lars,

Thanks for contacting, yes I was also happy to see another Bohuslän on MSW, but I just could`nt make out the scale or the kits manufacturer before you mentioned it.

Since member "Puckotred" introduced his scale 1/45 turkmodel Bohuslän I knew that there is a kit on the market again.

My Billing Boats Version is scale 1/50 and sowith a Little shorter.

Is your model in your Gallery completed, or shall you still add any Fitting out Details, I noticed that also the 1/45 kit was comprising all the passenger benches that should go between bulwarks and Center passenger Lounges ? Is your model for RC ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils

My wife is from Stockholm and she remembers in the late 60's a group of students at the local university made a model of the funnel on a float and  "Sank" one of the ferry's in the harbour on April 1st causing all kinds of uproar Police Coast guard etc 

as you know they still run in Stockholm harbour and have large logs hanging off the Port bow as fenders at about 15" from the vertical as they lay up against the dock at an angle to help them arrive and depart the dock ( space and prop wash )

Beautiful build thanks Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Thanks for your Input Andy,

I can realy imagine the rumble in Stockholm Harbour on 1st April, when only the funnel was still stick out of the water. I believe that would work well in Hamburg Harbour as well...

As for the sidewise hanging bumper preventing logs of the Bohuslän I thought about it already, but would`nt want to overfreight the model. The sea routs she was on on the Swedish Bohuslän County west coast were also smewhat rougher Waters than the eastcoast and the logs would have to be lashed much securer to avoid their bumping against the hull

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

My model is ~ 96 cm long so I think this is 1:45 scale. I will add a few more details but I kept it simple and maybe not so realistic compared to the real
Bohuslän. It will only be for bookshelf sailing.
I was actually thinking of adding the bumber logs, let's see...
The new NordicAtLast kit (1:45) can be seen here: http://atlastmodels.se/bohuslan

Thanks for your link Lars

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nils,

I'm sorry it took so long for me to come across your build. Your craftsmanship and detail work is absolutely stunning!! What a beautiful ship! Very well done!!

Best wishes,

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thank you Buck,

it is so many years back when I first saw that Bohuslän kit, and I fell in love with that old Lady, simply a must to build, and a good scale too (1/50)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 5 months later...

Nils, like so many others I'm very impressed with your build. I was wondering how you applied metal to the wooden hull?  I'm very interested in how I might apply rivets to the hull of a pre WWII ship.  Did you apply rivets or were they part of the metal panels applied?  Hopefully, you might have ideas on how

I might do this  ......... without the use of metal panels?  just very well done!  Cheers, Bill Palmer

Hello Bill,

thanks for visiting my Bohuslän Build log, you`re very welcome,  I`m glad you like it.

The reference for the riveting is taken from my pre WWII steamship "Heinrich Kayser"  build log, in the Posts # 12 and # 16, for the same technique in applying the rivet Feature.

Click on the link in my signiture if you wish and look up the mentioned post numbers there. I hope this may be of help for you, and would love to see some pics of your model . Feel free to ask if there remain any questions so far

Regards, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for showing / sharing Carlos,

it Looks like These pics are fantastic rendered 3D drawings. Where did you see These, is it available on the web ?

The Motala Express of 1895 is even older than the bohuslän, and These old ladies realy have Soul, they let ones heart beat higher.

Should you push out an appropriate modeling Project, I wish you all the best of success....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed