please help the noob

hey guys its great to be among you in this great place iam Raj from India 

iam new to this hobby and really attracted to it but what ever kit i see just daunts me down it looks way to much can you guys please help me to find a good starting kit i have never built one but would love to get started please help me find a kit which can help make me learn 

Hell Raj, and  :sign:

See if this can help you.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/Begin_Modeling.asp

The Phantom kit is a good one to start, and you can download a practicum for it. A practicum is a step by step instruction that takes you by the hand and guides you through completion.

Besides it's designed by Chuck Passaro, who is admin here. ;)

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hell Raj, and  :sign:

See if this can help you.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/Begin_Modeling.asp

The Phantom kit is a good one to start, and you can download a practicum for it. A practicum is a step by step instruction that takes you by the hand and guides you through completion.

Besides it's designed by Chuck Passaro, who is admin here. ;)

thank you sir this was of great help in india there are not many into this hobby hence  wanted to start with something easy to get a hang of it also sir if i may ask how are the two kits different (http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/cns/cns80566.htm) should this be a second project ?

Raj: I am sorry I can not answer your question properly, since I am not familiar with either kit.

I advise you on the Phantom based on what I see in the web page.

Hopefully someone who knows the kits better can send you a better advise.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Before you can walk you must learn to crawl. I would advice a Model Ship ways kit beginner level or Midwest Models Pick something you would be interested jn. Tha way you will no get discouraged. You will receive support and advice from the forum. The only way is to jump right in.

David B

Like Ulises recommends, I would start with a kit that has a practicum for it (preferably one that is free).  I did the Caldercraft Badger, which is rated as a beginner's kit, as my first kit, but I fumbled around quite a bit as I got myself up the learning curve.  If I had to do it over, I probably would have started with a kit that had a detailed practicum available for it like the Phantom.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Raj,

There are a couple of articles here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-plans-and-research.php  on what to expect in a model kit and on selecting a kit.   I hope this will also help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Guys just one more thing which all glues would i be requiring MEDIUM THIN OR THICK

For a wooden ship model, use wood glue.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

First Welcome aboard.  That is all ways a tough question.  I would recommend Blue Jacket Ship crafters, Yankee Hero.  http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/yankeehero.htm

Everything you need is in the box, tools, paint, and a well written instruction book.  It is all included at a very nice price and make a nice model when completed that wont take you years to finish.  I built this as my first model and highly recommend it.  The folks at Blue Jackets are also great and customer service and support is first rate.

Best of luck!

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

CA is Cyanoacrilate. Also known as superglue, crazy glue and some other names. It's a general use glue, which I don't like, but that's only my opinion. Not sure what brands would be available in your country.

Wood glue is a specifically designed glue to bond wood to wood. Known brands are Titebond (my favorite),  Elmer's and others .This is called a PVA glue. Is thicker than CA, more like cream consistency and generally yellowish in color.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

CA is Cyanoacrilate. Also known as superglue, crazy glue and some other names. It's a general use glue, which I don't like, but that's only my opinion. Not sure what brands would be available in your country.

Wood glue is a specifically designed glue to bond wood to wood. Known brands are Titebond, (my favorite) Elmer's and others .This is called a PVA glue. Is thicker than CA, more like cream consistency and generally yellowish in color.

thank you sir we do have titebond in our country i'll buy some and experiment with it