Real Battleship Portholes - Shiny Brass?

Hi,

I am nearing the stage where I will be skinning up the hull of my card Bismarck.

I plan on punching out the portholes on the hull and superstructure sides and using black film behind but I also have tiny brass photo-etch portholes to place round the hole.

My question is were the portholes on real ships left shiny brass on both the hull and superstructure or should I paint them gray to match the ship.

I can imagine the ones on the superstructure were but not sure about the hull sides.  Most photos are black and white and hard to tell and the models where they were replaced and left brass appear jarring to the eye sometimes.

I would think having the crew polish brass would be a good way to keep idle hands busy but...

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Slog,

It might be that the hull ones were painted and then the ones on the superstructure were polished but I have no first hand knowledge other than the Navy and Marines like polished brass.  Or maybe it's the brass like polished brass?     

I was on a carrier but all the portholes were painted.  This was in the late 60's.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I should add that I purchased Pontos brass photo etch detail set for my model-

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/mk1-design/md-20002

Hi Brian, the Pontos set is beautiful here is a link to a webship where the thread covers the development of the set by Pontos

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=123012&start=120

I have some photo etch porthole in 1.6mm, 1.8mm and 2mm diameters.  There are 500 portholes per sheet and works out around A$7.50 for each sheet.

post-273-0-62355300-1409966956_thumb.jpg

It might be that the hull ones were painted and then the ones on the superstructure were polished 

Hi Mark, my thinking was heading down this track also.

I have read that prior to WWI painting was also a favourite past time as was cleaning away coal dust :)  Appearances to keep up etc, it's a pity gunnery practice was lacking, apparently dirtied the ships to much  :o

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Slog,

It might be that the hull ones were painted and then the ones on the superstructure were polished but I have no first hand knowledge other than the Navy and Marines like polished brass.  Or maybe it's the brass like polished brass?     

I was on a carrier but all the portholes were painted.  This was in the late 60's.

Army too.  Can't tell you how much brass I had to polish during my 8 years.

Used to say, "If it ain't attached, pick it up - if it is attached, paint it - if it's brass, polish it".

Edited by Pops

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Hi.

From what I have read..

During the second world war the British Navy had to paint ALL brass and shiny objects .

This was done to stop reflection and the ship being spotted.

All the paintwork was supposed to be non reflective paint...

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi.

From what I have read..

During the second world war the British Navy had to paint ALL brass and shiny objects .

This was done to stop reflection and the ship being spotted.

All the paintwork was supposed to be non reflective paint...

Regards Antony.

That makes sense.

Thank you all gentlemen for the input.  Painted it is!

Thanks for that link Brian ( http://www.bnamodelworld.com/ ) that's a great site.  I can see it getting plenty of custom from me.  I assume you are a happy customer with them?

Cheers

Slog 

Edited by Captain Slog

I agree with Antony 100%.

Your battleship will not be very stealthy out in the ocean if you have lots of reflective surfaces.

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

There's two words I never thought I hear in the same sentence:  "battleship" and "stealthy".   :D    I think the early version of "Don't look conspicuous - it draws fire.  That's why aircraft carriers are called bomb magnets." had battleship instead of aircraft carriers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Used to hear about Strip Ship, it was supposedly done prior to expected battle or operating on a war footing. Was told that all paint was chipped from decks, bulkheads and overheads to reduce fumes and fuel in case of fire. I expect weather decks were left painted and any reflective surfaces were painted or removed. All missile hazards were removed from the ship or stored in a secure locker, larger objects were well secured to the ship structure. Bedding and clothing that, if loose would plug pumps were stored securely.  Sounded like a hard way to live to me but I never lived it. During the Cuban Missile crisis I was wondering if the chipping hammers would be coming out and our walk about ceramic coffee mugs, that most PO carried,  would be banned. I suppose all combat ships polished their bright work during peaceful times and show the flag trips but it was all painted over or dulled if they expected to be shot at.

jud

Edited by jud

The amount of 'pretty work' depended on the era/state of hostilities.  In peace time, especially when showing the flag in foreign ports, a lot of pretty work was done to the ships with superstructure portholes polished, along with any other brass fittings (including fire hose nozzles and the like); even bollards and fairleads were painted white to get that 'pristine' dressed up look.  That all changed during wartime where any polished surface was a source for reflections that at the right angles could attract unwanted eyes (from aircraft, submarines or other ships).  All white and polished surfaces were painted over with grey and minimal (read only essential maintenance/ship's husbandry was undertaken when operational.  We would even cover the porthole/window glass with a coat of black paint sometimes.

If you are depicting a ship in its operational role then the minimal contrast/minimal reflective surface approach would be correct. As the Bismark was launched in 1939 and was operational almost immediately, this supports Brian's comment re painted surfaces?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

From what I remember of the portholes on the ships I served on, none of the hinged portions of the ports or the dead lights were on the outside of the bulkhead. The only thing you saw from the outside was the hole surrounded by a ring of bolt heads, all of which were painted to match the hull or bulkhead.  All of the brass parts were inboard and depending on where you were in the ship were highly polished, i.e: the ones in the wardroom vs. those in a less important passageway.

The interior portions consisted of two covers hinged at the top.  One was the glass (the light) and the other was a steel cover (the dead light).  The four brass dogs went through slots on both.  A hook above the porthole secured the cover or light when opened.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci