Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

Ahoy Buck :D

You're are really starting to scare me. Any smaller and you might run afoul and split an atom. Your neighbors would not take to kindly to this.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

No problem, Buck. I've been researching these boats and am perplexed at how difficult some of the info is to find. Most of the time it's how you word the search.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

You're are really starting to scare me. Any smaller and you might run afoul and split an atom. Your neighbors would not take to kindly to this.

Those pesky atoms always seem to be in the way! :)

Matt- The elevation view makes it look as if the lantern was stowed outside of the lantern keg. I will probably end up doing something like that but had hoped to display the keg opened and the lantern out and ready to use.

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I'm wondering which way he's going to go in future.  Perhaps a 1:48 HMS Victory detailed down to the treenails on the orlop deck......OR...... the Battle of Trafalgar ---- in a vial?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Buck- That's what it looked like to me but it seemed wierd to call it a lantern keg if the lantern wasn't kept in it. Is the area where it points the lantern, keg and compass, closed in?

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Matt -The ends of the boat are covered but not closed off. I agree that the lantern should be stored in the keg. If the keg was only for matches and dry bread, why is it lantern sized? Still puzzled how the keg opens though. I'm going to try emailing the Mystic Seaport museum again.

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I'm wondering which way he's going to go in future.  Perhaps a 1:48 HMS Victory detailed down to the treenails on the orlop deck......OR...... the Battle of Trafalgar ---- in a vial?

Hi Augie!

I plan to get all medieval on you at 1:54 scale! Lots of treenails, scarf joints and timber-frame jointery. I figure if I could go 1:50 on Lawrence's bucket, 1:54 buckets should be do-able too! I just need to get this whaleboat done...

post-218-0-33369600-1423543687.jpg

Best wishes,

-Buck

Oh my !!! THAT is gunna be a treat to follow !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Sign me up!  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Now you have to employ a tiny little elf camera dude to get some close-ups. That's a beautiful ship, love the sails.

Matt

Hey Buck- here's a hingeless lid.

post-17116-0-42789400-1423597742_thumb.jpg

Holy cow Lawrence! That sure is taking a long time to get to you. I sure hope someone in Customs didn't lose it. I'll make you another one if that one doesn't show up this week.

-Buck

Wow man! Nice work on those tiny details. Gonna have to pull up a chair. B)  I can see the squirrels you have helping you out with all that tiny crafting must be related to Matt's squirrels, maybe from the same litter.  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me. It's been a while since my last confession... err post. It took a couple of weeks for the 1/32" angle to arrive and we had company the following weekend. I'm not too thrilled with how the lantern is looking and I may redo it. The 26awg grill work is looking too chunky. It should be .016" in diameter but it's measuring closer to .020". That doesn't seem like much, but it really is at this scale. Before I start the whole thing over, I'm going to start the grill over using a .013" guitar string. There's a little out of square wonkiness with the whole thing that I can't decide if it looks bad or makes it look used. Used being my way of justifying it. :) If I run with it, I'll paint it red and rub thru to brass in areas.

post-218-0-32402500-1425957007_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-15018300-1425957217_thumb.jpg

P.S. I'm not sure why this 2nd pic is rotating. You can click the pics to enlarge them.

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Amazing job for how small it is Buck. Looks pretty good to me. I can imagine they did get banged up quite a bit. Hence the used look.  ;)

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Your lantern looks pretty darned fine from where I'm sitting, Buck.

(O'course, if you don't want it ....)

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

If you decide to ditch the prototype, send it over here   :D  :D .  Incredible.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

If your going to go down this road and we all know you will; you might want to start saving those penny's. About 39000 of them will get you a really nice set up

http://www.all-spec.com/products/10541.html?gclid=CNiYnPD_nsQCFU8Q7AodaXIApA#nowhere

These things are the bomb :)

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Well now, that is absolutely incredible Buck! I'm glad you put the lantern next to a ruler. The penny seemed to be getting crowded so you might consider smashing one in one of those penny crusher/stretcher/smasher machines. It would be the penny's version of a minivan, ya know, to be able to fit more kids in/on.

Did you ever get the info on the lantern keg? I almost forgot about that one.

And don't worry about the sideways picture, this guy had a siniminalr per emblem.

post-17116-0-49694000-1426033280_thumb.jpg

Whoa JP! I've never seen one of those. Do you have one? I had to give up using my soldering iron because it was too big and adjacent stuff was getting un-soldered. That's how the lantern started getting wonky.

Matt- I never found out about the lantern keg. I emailed a business that deals in antique nautical items and they recommended another dealer who has one of the best whaleboat artifact collections. I'm hoping to hear back soon.

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Ahoy Buck

No but I drove one once at a trade show and watched a full demo. It uses gluons to fuse molecules at an atomic level  :P.

You'll love it

I want one for my PE. It really is the bomb. You can solder one thing right next to the other and not melt any other solder except on the part your working on. Think tack welder meets soldering iron. It really is you.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

After emailing a few places that sell antique nautical items, I was refered to Bob Hellman who I was told "has one of the best if not THE best whaling collection in the world". Wow, did I luck out! Bob's wife Nina runs Nina Hellman Antiques of Nantucket. If any of you get out that way, please send some business their way as these are some nice people.

Matt's excerpt from the story about busting the keg open seems to be how it's done, but it would only be opened in an emergency. I would guess that the hoops would be tapped loose to carefully dissasemble the keg to avoid busting the lantern and getting the food scattered everywhere. This brings up the question about building a lantern keg for my whaleboat. If I have a lantern out, the keg would already be disassembled. I may build a keg anyway though. :)

The following is the info from Bob's email which he said I could share with you here. Mystery solved. Thanks Bob!!

The lantern keg contained a lantern, candles, matches, tobacco, and lots of hard bread - strictly for emergencies.  I have two in my collection.  They are built like little tapering casks, with 3 metal hoops.  They are usually 18" or 2 feet tall with two heads 8" and about 12" across.  There often is a wooden cleat at one end to receive a light line so it can be tied to the whaleboat for safe keeping.  They never had latches for opening - one opened it by disassembling it - like a cask.  Sometimes the cleat  was at the small end as in Ronnberg's drawings end sometimes it was at the larger end - as one in my collection.  See photos below.

I hope this is helpful,   

Bob Hellman

post-218-0-93076500-1426292461_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-28198500-1426292476_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Looking forward to see what you come up with Buck!  If your other details are any indication, this should be good!  ;)

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

That's pretty awesome that you found the Hellman's, and their antique shop, who actually have one! Thanks to you and the Hellman's for this contribution to this forum. Buck you may now dawn the title "Tenacious B"

Hey Matt----Is that the same as the world renown award Scarlet Order of the Squirrels?  :D

Cheers

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Neat.  Great info.  Thanks for sharing.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I have not been able to get much boat time in lately but decided to push on with the lantern using the 26awg grille. I brush painted it with red enamel but it came out a bit heavy, so I brushed it all off with thinner. FYI - enamel thinner does not dissolve CA glue - yea!! :)  I have an airbrush that I bought a couple hundred years ago along with a tankless compressor. The tankless compressor pulses a bit when spraying, is loud as heck, and it runs continuously. I broke down and bought a $69 airbrush compressor with a tank from Harbor Freight and it works great. It's fairly quiet too. While I was breaking down and buying stuff, I followed the lead of Captain Steve and others, and bought some rope from Chuck ay Syren.  Oooh! Aaah! Very nice!

Anyway, here's where I'm at with the lantern. The door is off until I add "glass" panels and a candle inside. There will also be a knob added to the door.

post-218-0-13695700-1427077085_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Amazing what you're able to do on such a small scale Buck! If I didn't know better, I'd say you were doing these things under a microscope. Very nice!

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif