Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

With that taper brass might be tough.  But either way, really nice work.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You are right Augie. A metal band would almost need to be crescent shaped to wrap around the taper sided tub and look straight and lay flat. Sounds like a job for the jar labels. They did well on the tapered lantern keg.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Once the side's staves were all in place, the top and bottom were lapped until the final height was achieved.

How was the final height achieved? How did you trim the excess wood on something so fragile? Did you just file or sand paper it?

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jon,

Once all the staves were in place, the tall ones were carefully sanded down using a homemade sanding paddle. It has 100 grit on one end and 220 grit on the other. Being a hard flat surface, it is easier to sand down the end grain without mishaps. I used the 220 grit end for this. Once the staves were fairly level with each other, I lapped it on a sheet of 220 grit on a flat surface using circular and figure 8 motions. I did not bear down too hard and checked every so often to make sure it was staying even in height all around. The line tub is a cross section of a cone in shape, and with the staves all glued to each other, it is extremely strong for such thin material. That's a wood 2x2 on top of the line tub with a Webster's dictionary and 3 full beers on top, one of which I plan to open in a bit! :cheers:

post-218-0-11452300-1435619948_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-43838700-1435619963_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-94735900-1435619975_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks for sharing Buck.  While you're in the mood for sharing, I like my Killian's straight out of the bottle. Yup-----"Bottle Baby"!!   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the feed back. I always learn something from you.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Once again Buck, extraordinary work! One thing you could try for the rings is a copper tube, the thinner the better. A small ring could be heated and gently beaten onto a stainless steel forming cone or something similar, like the rod a jeweler uses for sizing rings but a bit bigger. If you're dealing with straight stock, running it through a three pin forming roller at an angle will also give it the 'cone' shape. I like the copper cuz it's softer and seems to blacken darker than brass. Well I just spent my two cents worth for the day, so again Buck, excellent craftsmanship!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Buck,

Fine work again.

What called my attention on the tub is that the bottom of the staves was not been sanded as far as to get a continuous flat surface with its circular base, leaving a small level difference (I don't know if I could explain correctly). :-)

Although the base will not be seen on the whaleboat, you didn't take the easy way out. I respect your fitting manner.

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Thank you Ferit! You explained the recessed bottom perfectly. All the buckets and lantern keg were also done that way too. Thanks for noticing.

Do you think you may get back to your workshop soon? I don't mean to rush you if you aren't ready. I just miss seeing the amazing work you do.

-Buck

Love it - great work!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thank for your support Buck. After reading your post I went to look at my new humble workshop. She is waiting for me patiently with the top main mast broken during the storm while moving house. :-)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

• 3 months later...

Hi Al,

For a first build you did a fantastic job. your methods are spot on. I like the finish that you applied to the boat. really brings out the warmth of the wood. now if I may there is some constructive criticism here.......the kit manufacturer in no way has represented the whale boats used on the Charles W Morgan. I worked on the last restoration of the Morgan in the rigging loft re-rigging her for the 38th voyage. the shape is wrong and the keel is NO way that large in her. the bow looks more like a Viking long ship.. again I DO NOT FAULT your workmanship. That is excellent!... Now if you want a kit that represents a true whale boat buy the model shipways whale boat. it will be almost like building a real whale boat. the model construction follows the way a whale boat would be made. I am currently working on one . I really have great references as I am only a hour drive from Mystic seaport and have taken thousands of pictures of the Morgan and her whale boats..... also a excellent reference is The whaleboat: a study of design, construction and use from 1850 to 1970 by Willits D Ansel, Walt Ansel and Evelyn Ansel. I talked with Walt a lot at the seaport on my whaleboat model.... I do hope that you continue to develop your modeling skills...if you need pictures I have plenty .. my email is  lesterpalifka@gmail.com

Hi Lawrence! Thanks for checking in. I have added .004 thick copper bands to the line tubs that turned out nice. I'll post pics soon. Been tied up with lots of other projects that have kept me away from the dry dock.

Hi Lester. Thanks for the kind words. Although I did not know when I got this kit 30 years ago (dang I'm slow!) that this kit is not anything like the actual boats from the Morgan, I have learned since then. I mentioned a while back that the keel was a bit big and that the kit really seems to be based on one that Chapelle shows as a type used a half century before the Morgan. AL, short for Artesania Latina, is the kit manufacturer, and they are known for deviating from accuracy! Still, they make some fun kits. I do have the Model Shipways kit you mentioned in my ship locker. I just need to live to about 600 to build everything in there at the rate I'm going. Way too many other interests and projects....

-Buck

When I was moving stuff around in the garage I came across an old box of my wife's stained glass supplies. There was some thin copper foil tape that was .004" thick, which happened to be the magic thickness for the bands around the buckets. I sliced some strips that were just under 1/16" wide, and from the back side, pressed with s straight pin to make some rivet bumps. The overlaps were burnished to get a simulated blacksmith hammered band joint.

post-218-0-87553400-1444966567_thumb.jpg

-Buck

That is a sweet looking tub, Buck.  I hope you get some more shipyard time.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Holy microns! Great solution for the tapered bands.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

That's a great-lookin' tub there Buck. It'll be good seeing you back here performing your "micro-surgery" techniques.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the nice comments and likes. It may not be until snow starts flying that I get much boat time. Now that it's cooler I'm hand digging some terraces in the backyard. Is it possible to ever get caught up with house projects?!!

-Buck

That's some fantastic banding on the tub, Buck !!

(And 'tis great to see that The Master of Miniature Detailing has returned.)

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey Buck,

Just catching up on this build - Love it!  The miniatures are one of my favorites, and I'm definitely going to be stealing some ideas from you. Fantastic work.

- Bug

• 2 months later...

Hope you all had a great Christmas and wishing you an awesome 2016!

It's been taking forever for me to finish this whaleboat, so I put in a call to engineering and asked them to send someone down to the dry dock to help me make a punch list for the work needed to complete this build. Meet Becky.

post-218-0-99390700-1451877457_thumb.jpg

She gave the whaleboat a thorough examination and will send her report in a few days.

post-218-0-26741900-1451877504_thumb.jpg

She liked the leather lined clumsy cleat in the thigh board.

post-218-0-45658200-1451877526_thumb.jpg

She did not like the mast hinge!

post-218-0-99687200-1451877548_thumb.jpg

Actually, I wanted to learn how to airbrush acrylics, make custom decals, learn dry brushing and washes and try working with a resin kit. I was looking for a 1/25th scale figure to use, but found this 1/20th scale figure on eBay and thought she was perfect. At the 1/25th scale of the whaleboat, Becky is 6'-3" tall.

post-218-0-51330600-1451878295_thumb.jpg

Best wishes

-Buck

Buck, I think she'll get you to finish this...  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Becky's a ginger, and remember...only a ginger can call another ginger, ginger! Just don't **** her off, she might give you a ten page punch list(even though we both know there's no need for any punch items).

• 7 months later...

Wow - it's already August. Been away from the dry dock too long. So I go in to have a look at things the other night and am greeted by this. Just how much smirkiness does a guy have to put up with?!!

post-218-0-22042300-1471487804_thumb.jpeg

Well I guess the taunting worked. So how many mast hinges will fit on the head of a pin? I still have a ways to go on this but wanted to show some progress. :) The new hinge is based on a proper one like those used in a New Bedford whaleboat. The assembled hinge joint is a little less than 2mm wide.

post-218-0-57079100-1471487881_thumb.jpeg

-Buck

'Tis good to see you - and Becky - back in the ship-yard, Buck.

(By the by, I think Becky has been leaving those notes around my workshop ... I'm working my way thru the more urgent ones.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Great pictures Scoot! I may work in something with the parallel fore and aft bracing like your 1st and 3rd pic. Looks like someone left their clipboard in the 1st pic. By the way, you win the award for the coolest whaleboat stand ever!

-Buck