Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

No microscope George! Just the lighted Optivisor. This lantern has been more difficult than even Lawrence's 1:50 bucket. I lost track of how many of the little pieces got lost. When you pick them up with tweezers they get launched into orbit if you squeeze too tight! Aargh!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Beautiful lantern Buck! I'm always amazed by your talents!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Ok now I am intimidated to start my version of this kit!!!  Mine will never look this good!!!  GREAT JOB!!!  :)

Are you kidding me dangerdan!! I just looked at your Nave Egizia in the gallery. I'm intimidated! That's stunning!

I've been wondering where you went to and am looking forward to seeing your whaleboat build. It's good to see you posting on MSW and I'm sure you will have some cool things that will make your whaleboat as stunning as your Nave.

Best wishes

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lawrence,

I thought the bucket looked great hanging there. I was wondering if the little guys had removed it in the later photos to swab the decks! You have been keeping them busy. If you find another spot on the boat that you would rather place the bucket, that's ok too. It's a hoot for me to see it on your Annie!

Very best wishes,

-Buck

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to finishing the lantern. It's a little booger.

post-218-0-43004500-1429589220_thumb.jpg

The base is 4.5mm x 4.5mm. This thing was a challenge for me because the 30 pieces that make it up are really small and tough to hold on to. There was actually quite a bit more than 30 pieces, but who knows where the heck those other pieces went to! The door handle is less than 1.5 mm long and it swivels. The macro shots are a bit cruel, but it looks pretty good in real life. It sort of has that used and scuffed look. The candle has some fake wax drips!  If I ever start something like this again, please be kind and tell me not to! :P

post-218-0-53628600-1429590041_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-02309200-1429590004_thumb.jpg

Hey, now that Lawrence's bucket is in Canada, there's all kinds of room on the penny!

post-218-0-24744800-1429590108_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Looks great.  Wax drips, indeed.

OK, what's next?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That's nothing short of amazing Buck! Either my worn-out eyes are playing tricks on me or I'm seeing glass windows in this lantern.  Yup----like I said----microscope!  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

That lantern is just stunning, Buck !!

I'll take a dozen, please.

(My credit card number is 513. .... .... .... )

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks you guys! There are 4 "glass" panels inside George that were made from the thin plastic of a blueberry container.

Augie- Next up will be a lantern keg even though technically it would be disassembled if the lantern was out. I will most likely scratch build new line tubs since the kit ones look pretty crude to me now. The harpoon rack, a few paddles and the sail. I guess I should get organized like Captain Steve and make a punch list.

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

We're gonna need a bigger boat  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

post-76-0-16791200-1429656684.gif Oh my dear lord....  post-76-0-40259300-1429656596.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, I think you just blew by Jim Baumann! I'm speechless. Wow, wow....wow!

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

That's a 1/10000 USS Nimitz, but as you can see, some of the aircraft have fallen off the deck and I never could find them! Just kidding! Can't wait until you get your new workshop set up Ferit and get back to your amazing build!

-Buck

Hate to mention it, Buck, but the 68 painted on the foredeck seems a bit out of scale.  

Ferit is returning ????   FANTASTIC !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all!

It seems I have been doing everything except boatbuilding lately, but the lantern keg is built now. It's a model of the one in Bob Hellman's collection that has the cleat on the big end:

post-218-0-54167300-1432434949_thumb.jpg

Since both ends are closed, the keg was built using a dowel with the heads attached at the ends. Here the heads are still a bit oversized and they were fine tuned and tapered.

post-218-0-36154900-1432435028_thumb.jpg

The cedar wood was stained using a Minwax Golden Oak stain pen.

post-218-0-99852200-1432435071_thumb.jpg

A small parade. Here you can see the stained keg compared to the bare buckets which I figured would be a bit bleached from bailing salt water.

post-218-0-08861300-1432435102_thumb.jpg

-Buck

WOW! Incredible work for such a small scale!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Buck,

Where did you buy your electron microscope? lol

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Buck,

Where did you buy your electron microscope? lol

Michael

At Electron Microscopes R Us! :)

Thanks for the nice comments you guys! I like your stylin' new avatar Jesse!

-Buck

Awesome lantern and keg Buck! Now for the candles, matches, tobacco and a supply of hard bread...

Beautiful craftsmanship Buck, it is fun to see such attention being poured into these tiny gems.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Just a beautiful build Buck. You are a very good craftsman.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thanks Matt, Michael & Mario! Hmm 3Ms, and extremely skilled ones at that! Thanks for all the likes Mario. Your open boats have really been an inspiration to me.

Best wishes

-Buck

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody!

I've been doing a lot of work on the fixer-up house lately but I got the big line tub made. I still need to add rope handles and coil a bunch of rope, but the wood working is done. The color is a mix of Minwax Golden oak and Dark Walnut blended with a paper towel moistened with naphtha. The bottom is made of multiple boards but the quarter sawn cedar makes it look like a lot more pieces. A dowel was lightly glued to the bottom and a larger diameter piece of thin cardboard was glued at the other end to flare the sides. Once the side's staves were all in place, the top and bottom were lapped until the final height was achieved. This thing is huge! The base is the size of a quarter! That may not seem big, but all of my little stuff fits inside!

post-218-0-95910300-1435545642_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-36439500-1435545664_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-32812500-1435545693_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-81774700-1435545715_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-20818100-1435545759_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-70171800-1435545783_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Oops! Good catch Ferit! I do need to add metal bands around it. I wonder if I should try to find some super thin brass (maybe .005"), or if I should just continue with the .004 blacked out plastic label material?

-Buck