Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

Hey Buck,

Dang! The are so life like, and on a penny! My swelling went right down and I tuck my tail in defeat.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey Buck,

Dang! The are so life like, and on a penny! My swelling went right down and I tuck my tail in defeat.

Matt

Haha! No need for talk like that - you have done some spectacular work! If you really want to see some crazy good tiny work, check out some of Jim Baumann's stuff. I think he has one of those Sci-Fi shrink ray guns!

post-218-0-28254300-1421107426_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hey Buck,

Maybe Jim Baumann worked at Area 51?

Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Lawrence - Would you be able to use a bucket on your Annie build? I reduced the bucket plan to 1:50 and I'm not sure I can pull it off, but will give it a try if you can use it. I would be honored to contribute to the build of a boat that has so much history to your family.

Matt- Jim Baumann's skills seem other-worldly. Maybe he was a guest who escaped from Area 51!

Best wishes,

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I started work on Lawrence's 1:50 bucket which will be half the size of the one with the rope handle on the penny above. This is pretty small and the hard part is hanging on to the stave pieces while shaving the tapers with the 1/8" chisel. No blood yet! :D I can't imagine getting much smaller than this, so that Baumann fellow must be an alien!

The staves are about 1/2mm thick and the thin veneer stop fence that I had used before for planing the cedar to thickness was too thick. I adopted a different technique to plane the cedar to 1/2mm by flipping the plane upside down and using an eraser as a gripper/push block to run the cedar over the blade. Works good but a sharp blade and shallow depth of cut is needed.

post-218-0-91310000-1421629832_thumb.jpg

The stave's widths will taper from about 1.5mm to 1mm. The bottom of the bucket is 3.5mm in diameter.

post-218-0-70091700-1421629835_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-76021400-1421629841_thumb.jpg

Part of the preperation for even starting this little bucket was obtaining the correct beverage in my dry dock. With a name like Dry Dock and a picture of HMS Victory and a quote from Nelson on the can, this seemed like the right tool for the job!

post-218-0-35133200-1421629846_thumb.jpg

I'll post more pictures when I git er done.

Best wishes,

-Buck

Dude, dude, duuuude! You inflated and deflated my head so fast, I think I'm gonna be ill. If you dawn a pair of sunglasses and ask me to look at you, I ain't doin it!

I'm just waiting to see if you sneek a scanning electron microscope into your dry dock. My hats off to you, absolutely...Wow!

Matt

OK !! Buck,

Now you need to miniaturize a can of Dry Dock amber ale, put it into your bucket and add some ice. Then I would pay attention --  ha ha  

Awesome work

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I'm sitting here smiling and wondering how much more detail we can get on board this little gem?  I'm getting old now and the memory isn't as good as it used to be but I do seem to recall that we already have axes, knives, harpoons, lances, line tubs and a water barrel ---- with working spigot.  All this on top of the best wood finish on the planet!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for all the great comments Brian, Matt, Michael, Ferit, Lawrence and Augie. Very much appreciated.

You about made my beer come through my nose Matt! :cheers:

I think your imaginitive and very technical work is spurring me on to up my game - thanks!!

Lawrence- It's my pleasure to be able to contribute a little bucket to your Annie M. Parker. That is such a graceful looking ship and you are doing her proud.The bucket is coming along well, but you'll have to wait a bit for more pics!

Augie - There's a bit more detail to come! I'm starting on another item that's proving to be the most difficult piece so far, but that will remain a secret for now in case I mess it up! ;)  You're not getting too old to remember - I'm just so slow that some of my artifacts pre-date recorded history! Here's a group shot of some of the stuff. BTW, your ship is a joy to behold!

post-218-0-36570700-1421722124_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Hey Buck,

Your pictures say many millions of words. Seeing your works of art, I can't wait to see your up game!

Matt

Hmmmm.......at this rate I wonder if Buck will ever need to start a second build ?  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hmmmm.......at this rate I wonder if Buck will ever need to start a second build ?  :)

Haha! I've been wondering that too. I either need to win the lottery and give up my day job or stop sleeping!

Lawrence's 1:50 bucket is done. I'll have to look around for a box big enough to mail this to Canada in! :)

post-218-0-07244200-1421943236_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-97794500-1421943232_thumb.jpg

Best wishes,

-Buck

Ahoy Buck :D 

Maybe you could sell your buckets. Start a business "Buck's Buckets" 

Who knows 

It could become the next big thing. They are amazing 

"Lol" 

Or you could just start the Wasa 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

That is freakishly small, Buck !!!

But, err, what about his compass box ... ??

:pirate41:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

JP - "Buck's Buckets - When you have a craving for some little staving". Naw, that's kinda bad.

Captain - Compass box?!! Now why did you have to go there? I would need an electron microscope to cut box joints at 1:50 scale!

-Buck

Speechless here (and that's saying a LOT).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

<picks self up off floor><brushes off sawdust><low whistle>  Wow... that is tiny and lovely at the same time. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Buck,

From now we have to inspect your photos with much more attention. In any corner, in any shadow it is highly probable we detect some minuscule handiworks...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hey Buck,

I might have to put that bucket on my bucket list. Either they need to start making the penny larger, or you're gonna have to crack yer knuckles and shoot for 1:100! Awesome work, now I have to buy the Optivisor just to see your work on my screen!

Matt

Hi Lawrence- It's my pleasure. I'm glad to contribute to a build that has such a special meaning to you. I hope to get your bucket out in the mail this morning.

-Buck

Hi Lawrence- It did get mailed on Saturday. I wonder if Customs opened the package and is having fun with your bucket? Please let me know if it arrives intact. I packed it to withstand rough handling.

-Buck

OK, I was intending to hold out until I finished this lantern to post pictures, but I ran into a snag and need to order some K&S brass 1/32" angle. Nobody stocks that size around here, as apparently, nobody else around here is stubborn enough to try using it! :) The angle will be used as corners to connect the top and bottom plates of the lantern.

The top and bottom plates were made from .010 sheet brass. I used end cutters to trim the sheet metal and then folded the tabs while gripping them with the ground end cutters shown on page 1 (post 13) of this thread. The tabs were gripped and the plate folded over while tapping with my miniature Dremel hammer. The round cap was domed with a ball end on the little hammer while the brass was laying over a hole in a piece of wood.

post-218-0-10139100-1423449120_thumb.jpg

Since I was unable to find any tiny brass angle here, I tried a couple of things. First I tried folding the .010 sheet into some angle pieces, but it ended up a bit wavy. I then tried cutting the corners from a 1/16" piece of square tubing. I wasn't satisfied with the results because when the 4 corners were cut loose, it was really hard to hang onto one side of the angle while trying to file the edge of the opposite side. I'll wait for some actual angle to continue.

post-218-0-96069700-1423449126_thumb.jpg

The lantern has a round chimney on the top with little vent holes and a domed cap and handle. The chimney has a 1/8" outside diameter so I needed to rig a holder to drill a bunch of .028" holes in it. I sharpened the heck out of a steel brad nail and used it as a center punch. The holder is a small chunk of wood that has a 1/8" hole through it. A sloped reveal was chiseled out of the business side because it was too hard to see the tubing to drill it with it poking out of a square face. A kerf was cut down to the hole so a clamp could squeeze the tubing to keep it from rotating.

post-218-0-34283400-1423449130_thumb.jpg

The pieces were soldered together and the square end of the wood holder was used to square up the top plate with the chimmney tube, which passes through a hole drilled through the top plate. The pieces are still a bit rough since there will be more soldering before I can start filing and sanding.

post-218-0-83812500-1423449133_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-14660600-1423449137_thumb.jpg

I now need some help figuring out the wooden lantern keg that holds the lantern. How would it open? The top has a lanyard cleat so I don't think the top would come off. Do you think that the top and sides would have been held to the base with latches? Because of the banding, I don't see that there could be a door in the side of it that would open. What do you folks think?? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I did try emiling the curator at the Mystic Seaport museum, but I think the address on the website is no longer a good one. 

post-218-0-23353400-1423449140_thumb.jpg

Best wishes,

-Buck

Hey Buck,

Is the loop on the top of the lantern keg, where the arrow is pointing and says lanyard cleat, is that the handle of the lantern sticking out or the handle of the lantern keg? Also do you have any drawings or other places that show what it looks like in place?

Matt

I found these pics. It appears that the lantern keg was used to keep things dry like flint and steel, timber, tobacco. I'm guessing that handle on the top may have been used to hoist on the mast, kinda like you do with your food in bear country. I hope this helps you.

post-17116-0-72265200-1423458250.jpg

post-17116-0-09112600-1423458382_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattsayers148

Hey Buck here's some more info.

post-17116-0-49276300-1423459752_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-56378300-1423460399_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattsayers148

Thanks Matt. I think that the lanyard cleat on the top of the lantern keg is wood and not the handle of the lantern. The keg would need to be waterproof. That seems odd in the story that one would pound the lantern keg to open it. I would think the lantern glass would break.

-Buck