Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

Thanks Buck.....yup, all high and dry.  A few roads out and some weeks to go on runoff.  You stay well .....  where ARE you? 

Robert-  nice looking gal you have there!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Congrats on getting a house!!!  May it be filled with laughter, joy, and a pile of sawdust in the shipyard.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Ferit, Augie, Lawrence, Mark and Keith! Although there is a lot to do on the house, there will be lots of sawdust in the dry dock!

Augie - I'm in the north part of Colorado Springs.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats Buck,

Awesome view....Settle in and we will be happy to see your new posts.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Bindy, Michael and Lawrence! I wake up to a great view of Pikes Peak every morning and it is such a nice way to start the day. The shipyard is still a little ways off and will be slightly scaled down. I'm planking this weekend, but up in the attic! Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm more than ready for some boat time!

Best wishes,

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

• 1 month later...

Nobody here but us chickens!!!

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

...re I got it from has is much lighter. In this thread size, most of the colors are very bright vibrant colors. I am going to look around a little more to see if I can find another color in that size of thread. This stitching is going to take a long time so I want to find a color I won't have 2nd thoughts about.

Three different thread sizes and colors.

attachicon.gifSail 5.jpeg

attachicon.gifSail 6.jpeg

Sorry for writing a book. Hope everyone is doing well. 

Best wishes,

Book or no, this was well worth reading, thank you for posting.  I thought I was all ready to start on my sail making endeavor until I saw this post. lol  Now I'm back to the researching board because I really liked the creasing effect the way you did.  It's definitely inline with some of the research I've been reading.  Trying to determine if it's appropriate for my Sharpie. 

Josh.

Holy moley Keith! Thanks for all the likes during your re-read of this log! The job plus my 'new' house is taking a lot of my time lately so I've been slacking a bit here on the forum. The house is a bit of a fixer-upper since we couldn't spend too much without selling the other house 1st (which still hasn't sold yet - aargh!).  I started to set up the drydock in an upstairs room, but now I'm thinking about a room in the basement instead, which happens to be right next to my music room and a bathroom. I could stay down there and hide out indefinitely! The upstairs room has a Pergo floor which would make finding dropped parts easier while the basement room has a deep pile carpet. I never back down from a challege! :D  

JSGerson - There are chickens around here! We came across several houses in the middle of residential neighborhoods while house hunting with chickens in back.

Josh- The Sharpie is a smaller scale (1/32?) so you would need to make some really tiny creases. I don't think I would attempt the hand stiching at that scale or at least not the same pattern/style. I fell in love with Hopeful's Sharpie Schooner a while back and was then forced to add one to the ship locker! I'm so weak!

Thanks for stopping by!

Best wishes,

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

I've been drawing a few ideas from Hopeful's Sharpie and then adding some things on my own.  But yes, I attempted to do the creasing in scale and it's too small.  I think I'm at the point of hand stitching it because my wife's machine is really letting me down at this poin with inconsistent stitches.  I am by no means a seamstress and my wife's machine is a cheapy she uses to throw scrub hats together that she only generally wears a couple of times.   Hard for me to expect that this machine will get me the perfect decorative stitching I'm shooting for. 

And I know all about having a locker of ships, I have 12 currently on the shelf...

Josh.

Edited by azzoun

Josh- Maybe you could find a nice used sewing machine inexpensively on your local Craigslist. I've been getting frustrated with hand stitching. If it only had to look good on one side... Getting caught up on your log - your Sharpie is looking great!

Hi Lawrence! Always nice to have you stop by. I guess I need to get cracking and actually do some boat building! I could use more hours in a day!

-Buck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Buck

Just discovered your build log. This model was my 1st also albeit some 20 years ago. Didn't come out as nice as yours tho. Been enjoying your build. Good luck with the new house. I have a sister who lives in Colorado also ; they live in Lakewood, used to live in Arvada until a "prairie fire" started by some kids burned them out of their house. I was out there in 1977 with the family - toured the whole area - rode the Denver Rio Grande & Western out of Durango to Silverton. Great times.

Your workmanship is inspiring. I especially like the effect of the French polishing.

Jack

• 3 months later...

Hi Lawrence!

I am in my new shipyard right now trying to turn a piece of an old cedar fence picket into staves to make 1:25 scale piggins, buckets and lantern cases! Having a blast and I'll post pictures when I get further along.

The new shipyard:

post-218-0-39525600-1418606220_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-41454600-1418606235_thumb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

-Buck

Here's a quick look at what I've been up to today. Making a piggin! Still got a few staves to make.

post-218-0-68356800-1418616744_thumb.jpg

The staves were tapered with a hand plane set for a really light cut - 1-1/2 thousands! :) haha! Fun times!

post-218-0-48702300-1418616755_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Hi Ferit! Thanks for stopping by. Hope things are going well for you.

I got in a little shipyard time tonight and worked some more on the piggin. This mini coopering is sort of tricky! OK, that was bad! :)

I tacked the bottom of the barrel to the end of a dowel with a small drop of white glue. The edge of the bottom is beveled. The inside faces at the stave bottoms have a beveled notch that lock into the edge of the bottom. I wrapped some tape around the dowel to help flare the staves out.

post-218-0-62282400-1418797352_thumb.jpg

This works pretty good but I have a bit to learn to get a better feel for the proper amount of tapering needed on the stave edges. I think this will clean up ok once I complete the circle and can sand it.

post-218-0-37302100-1418797372_thumb.jpg

Best wishes,

-Buck

Wow....that's small!  You are one  patient fellow.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Lawrence! I have some catching up to do on your Victory. My head spins looking at all the work that went into that. Happy Holidays!

With a gentle twist, the piggin seperated from the dowel. I did a little sanding and now I'm looking for something suitable to make the bands from. I'll probably try paper first.

post-218-0-64289900-1419116104_thumb.jpg

-Buck

You might consider heat shrink tubing.  They sell an assortment of diameters in a flat black finish.  Works very well on slightly tapered shapes as well.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

I have what I thought was thin-wall heat shrink tubing and after shrinking a piece, the wall thickness measured at about 25 thousands. That doesn't seem like much, but it looks massive at this scale! Also, I don't know how to evenly slice off a piece at the width I'm trying to use, which is only about 1.5/64ths" wide! Yup, my eyes are starting to bug out. I made a band of black paper that was 9 thousands thick and it looks bulky. Also at this size, the paper swells a little with glue and the edges end up looking puffy. I tried hammering a 26 gauge wire flat and using it but it ended up 15 thousands thick and is a booger to make look straight and even. After rummaging in the trash, the winner is a label that was wrapped around a plastic jar. The label is plastic or mylar and is 4 thousands thick. It leaves a crisp edge and definitely does not look too thick!

Here's a picture with the top band in the 9 thousands thick black paper and the hammered 26 guage wire loosely placed as a bottom band.

post-218-0-60366000-1419129619_thumb.jpg

In this picture, the 4 thousands thick mylar is lightly tacked on the lower band position with white glue. The 1st object to the right of that is the heat shrink tubing. Just to the right of that and slightly below, is a piece of the 9 thousands thick black paper. It looks pretty crisp until the glue is absorbed. To the right of that is the hammered 26 guage wire. The mylar label is lying flat below that. Although it looks black, it's actually a Hershey brown. I'm going to try coloring it with a Sharpie.

post-218-0-81997000-1419129628_thumb.jpg

Best wishes,

-Buck

OK, I've used Mylar as well.  It's sold in (some) hobby stores as Pactra Striping tape.  Comes on a roll of paper backing about 3 feet long with many different widths on the roll.  Comes in black, white, red blue and yellow.  Self adhesive.  I use it on the airplanes.  But it can sometimes not like to stick to finished surfaces.  

Glad you found an answer.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ahoy Buck 

As usual your work is amazing 

Did you consider just painting them on.  

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi J.Pett!

Thanks! I didn't consider painting the bands because I had so much trouble trying to paint the 1/32" stripes on the oars. I gave up and used the Pactra tape on the oars. Here's the finished piggin bigger than life with warts and all. I guess I can say that the little splintered out stave edges give it a used look. Yeah, that's it!  It's a used piggin. BTW, these are the mylar jar label bands that were blacked out with a Sharpie.

post-218-0-85590900-1419206759_thumb.jpg

J.P. - I know you have an interest in handplanes, do you (or anyone else) think it would be helpful if I posted how I made the stave blanks from a junk cedar fence picket?

-Buck