Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

Got a little further with the hinge. After making a hinge joint, the strap halves and horseshoe shaped half were filed and shaped to be about 1/16" wide. After shaping, the straps flare out only at the hinge joint.

post-218-0-86882600-1472520108.jpeg

Hanging on to the little pieces to file and shape them was done using a modified pair of Channelock 718 pliers. Here you can see the groove for the hinge joint which was done with nut slotting files. The final width of the groove is .042".

post-218-0-60892500-1472520130_thumb.jpeg

Here's a better look at the pliers. They are ground down from a long nose and have smooth faces to grip with, so they don't mar the parts being gripped. It's nice to be able to simply rotate your wrist to better see what you're doing.

post-218-0-21312300-1472520146_thumb.jpeg

Here's the hinge after more shaping. It's almost ready for some detailing.

post-218-0-24022600-1472520168.jpeg

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I agree with Carl, Incredible!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Try?  You seem to be succeeding, Buck.  That's more than "try".   Where's Yoda when we need him to explain "try".... :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I started working on details and did a little test piece on some scrap brass. I filed a slot to make a screw head in some .032" brass rod. I scored the slot with an exacto blade and then deepened it with a .010 nut slotting file. I then smoothed and shaped the screw head with a file and used a Sharpie felt tip pen to darken the slot a little. The excess ink was filed off.

post-218-0-04973600-1473023750_thumb.jpeg

I drilled a .032" hole in a scrap piece of brass and here's how the scew head looks in it.

post-218-0-56530100-1473023767_thumb.jpeg

Best wishes

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

:o  Wow!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark & Carl! You probably already know this, but if you click on one of the pictures you can enlarge it with your mouse wheel on a computer or stretch it with your fingers on a smart phone. I can only focus so close with my iPhone camera so it helps to enlarge the pics. Sorry if you already know this, but happy to help if you didn't!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you have to press the control button when using the mouse wheel.

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Thanks Carl! I don't know how I got started down the tiny detail trail. Hey look! I have some screws loose!

post-218-0-11742400-1473119055_thumb.jpeg

-Buck

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I finally got the new mast hinge assembly built and just need to finish the parallel boards with some garnet shellac to match the thwarts. The boards are notched at the front ends and beveled at the back and combines ideas from Scoot's 1st and 3rd pics.

post-218-0-57162100-1477880442_thumb.jpeg

post-218-0-65065300-1477880458_thumb.jpeg

-Buck

• 3 weeks later...

Once again I bow before the master! So incredibly awesome!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Beautiful work Buck,

I like your whaleboat very much...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Buck, that is superb work on the hinge and the screws. Thanks for the tip about enlarging the images on the screen I did not know that one.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow, Buck.  I haven't been around too much, so just catching up on your build.  While she may be a tad picky, it appears that Becky has indeed sent you along a good path!

Amazing looking work on the brass bits.  Any idea what's next in the lineup?

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks Michael, Jeff and Wayne! I was planning to do the Mamoli Carraca Atlantica next but am switching and doing a double build of Billing Boats Zeeschouws. I've been in touch with our old friend Keith, aka The Mad Chemist. A while back I had sent Keith my Zeeschouw kit to lift his spirits because Lyme disease had him in a slump. I came across another one on eBay last year and broke down and got it. This 2nd kit was missing parts so I asked Keith to trace them for me. Keith ended up sending the kit back to me because the Lyme has progressed to the point where he can no longer build it. So my plan is to build both and send one back to Keith.

-Buck

Glad to hear you have had some communication with Keith.  Last time I talked with him things were not very good at all.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

That's great to hear, Buck.  I'm looking forward to the double build.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how you do it, Buck.  Amazing!  And not once did I see 6' 3" Becky lending you a hand.  Tell her to stop powdering her nose and get in there and break a nail or two. 

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

I hope everyone is doing well and had a good weekend. I got to spend some quality time in the dry dock and got the new mast hinge installed. The new hinge sits higher up at an angle because of the fore and aft boards and it caused the mast to lean back (the plans show a forward lean). So the solution was to build a mast step with cleats to position the mast at the proper lean. I could have taken the easy out and just made a wood chunk but that doesn't seem to be in my nature. :) So I opened up my small piece wood locker to scrounge for suitable pieces- everybody has one of these too don't you?!

post-218-0-21035500-1480901702_thumb.jpeg

So the mast step has a box jointed front corner and dadoed in cocobolo strips to position the mast.

post-218-0-07065000-1480901746_thumb.jpeg

The mast step sits at the bottom of a box under the hinge to add a bit more detail the more you look. Got to keep Matt and Ferrit amused!

post-218-0-82920400-1480901786_thumb.jpeg

So far, no snarky notes from the inspector!

post-218-0-81623100-1480901848_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Nice work on the mast-hinge, Buck. Good to see that the mean ole Quality Control lady let it pass through.

:D  :D

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I see the problem... the quality control lady is a redhead.   :D  :D  :D  :D    Nice going on the hinge rework, Buck.  You've got a good eye for detail.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent!!! I don't have any tools small enough for that!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Captain Steve, Mark, Matt & Lawrence. Thanks for the very nice compliments Lawrence - my head is getting so big, my neck hurts! :) It was a lot of fun making the tiny bucket for you, and your Annie turned out amazing. A belated Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and everyone.

Best Wishes

-Buck