Royal Caroline 1749 by Shipyard sid - Panart - 1/47 scale

Greetings all

Thanks for all your comments and advice. Just to bring you up to date I have completed all the deck planking apart from two small areas at the bows. I decided to varnish the decks with clear Matt, but was not happy so have ended up using satin as you can see on the photos, which is not yet dry. I also tried out medium oak on test pieces but it darkened the end grain which I had suspected would happen. So another night of boring planking to do tomorrow, plus the inner bulwarks to plank, and then I can start to make some impression on the build. DAVID

post-96-0-38887300-1422486394_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-12795200-1422486408_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-62239000-1422486432_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-61822500-1422486486_thumb.jpg

Nice steady progress as always, and you will soon move on to the next phase. I'm currently working on fixing 21 fire buckets to my build and its going easier and better than I first expected and should be completed by the weekend.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Keith

It looks to me we are at the same stage of the build. Your planking looks splendid. As I said, I will be glad when it's out of the way, and I can really start to enjoy the build. I think we are very lucky to have some wonderful builds to follow, and very rarely need to refer to the plans. Keep enjoy your build. Regards DAVID

Hi David

You might want to try using Testors Dullcote Laquer brush paint. It also comes in gloss. I use this over most of my paints. Works great straight onto basswood and boxwood. It will darken it a little ,and bring out the grain in the wood.

Try it out on the wood to be used,look at in in natural light also to see what it realy has for any color.

Have used it over Tamiya  Acrylic paint with no problems,only watch out for it might pick up some pigment from the acrylic. 

I use one bottle for just over wood and others for over colored painted areas.

Sands easy,you can also scrape it down level if filling in the grain or seams. I have been able to put down many coats in several days time. Depending on the humidity of the air. Great for sealing wood before painting with enamels and acrlyic's.

I love the dullcote over decks and other wood areas. Seals them,dries fast to the touch in about 20 minutes. Can be sanded and even buffed to get a shine after drying a day or so. Or just leave it flat.Shrinks down well after drying.

Try it out. Better than waiting for varnish to harden up.

Hope this helps some.

Keith

After this ship it's onto my 1/48 build of the laser cut Mary Rose and finishing up my 1/80 Jotika Mary Rose,which was used for the frame outlines of my laser cut 1/48.

Hello David..

Very nice work with respect to the decks...They look like you gave them much tender care.  FYI I used a satin water based Varnish on the Victory decks and now, with Half Moon,  I'm toying with the idea of varnishing the dntire hull, decks and all.  I'm still torn between three finishes, Urethane, Varnish or Frombey's Lemon oil.  That's my next step so I need to make up my mind.  I'm also painting some of the wood a walnut color that I got from Cornwall for Victory.  Talk to you soon.  Best,

Jerry

Hi David,

I like the way you get your Caroline together. It's a nice kit and a very nice model - I am almost a Little bit sad that I am ready with my build ;)

Enjoy the weeks to come - I didn't want to miss just one single Minute (although there are really dark moments... when you see that you were wrong with your work ... and restart)

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello David...

What's going on? Haven't heard from you on your build for quite some time.   I hope all is well.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Greetings all

Hello jerry and how are you. You are really buzzing along still on your half moon, and into the masts!!!! Well done. Ok I have have not posted because I didn't think there was anything worth posting. Right here's a quick update. Nothing to technical. I have fitted the top rubbing strake in position to see if things will look ok once the brass stuff is fitted, and it looks ok to me. I reckon the distance from the underside of the parapet rail to the top of the rubbing strake at the 4 gunports will be about 27mm and the rest of the strake takes care of itself. Well that's my theory. The gunports and other apertures are lined and few windows have been made. Yep I think it will be ok, here's a few photos to show my progress, and I reckon I should now be posting more often now. One never knows. Here we go...thanks a lot. DAVID

post-96-0-68355800-1424993350_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-10373200-1424993368_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-29601900-1424993390_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-95124800-1424993437_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-60352700-1424993496_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-27357100-1424993590_thumb.jpg

Hell David...

Slow but steady..Looks good so far.  You need to keep posting because we need to see your good work for our own inspiration.  As for my quick progress, forget about it.  I'm just dilly dallying as I wait for material to come from your country so serious progress will be hard to come by fo a little while.  I really like how nice the gunports look[ you really did a nice job on them.  Hope to see more from you soon.

Best regards,

Jerry

Greetings all

Well a little more progress. First rubbing strake painted and fitted, just need to sort the visible holes. Spent a while measuring and masking the hull, I found I had some unopened French blue from my victory build, so I reckon that's good enough for me. I reckon things should start moving along now. Thanks for viewing and your comments. OK photos of progress....DAVID

post-96-0-72609300-1425249882_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-97803800-1425249899_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-79879800-1425249915_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-47876600-1425249932_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-90131200-1425249961_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hello David..

Good to see you're making some progress. The blue does look familiar and it looks like you're using plenty of it.  So I guess things will go faster for you now.  Hope you get all the holes figured out.  I'm still waiting for rthe U.K. shipment.  Take care,

Jerry

Hi David,

nice and great progress for your RC. Wish you much fun.

Cheerio

max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

I'm sure you already what I'm going to suggest.

I found a smear of wood filler and a light sand before adding a coat of paint generally does the trick.

If not a simple light sand so that some of the sawdust fills the holes followed by a coating of sanding sealant also works well.

The build is coming along very nicely.

Glenn (UK)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all

Well at last I have made Some progress, not a lot, but at least progress. I will make my own stern decoration after checking through all the Caroline build logs, and I have dumped the supplied one. The stern has also been opened up to install the lighting, and both the port and starboard windows cannot be fitted until the lighting is installed. anyway I cannot see any problems and will carry on in my own willy nilly way and see how it goes. Here's a few photos, and thanks for comments and advice. DAVID

post-96-0-89683500-1426529084_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-29054900-1426529105_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-66964200-1426529127_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-75068000-1426529143_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-73489400-1426529164_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Happy to see the progress, David.  Your idea of illumination intrigues me as that is something I always wanted to do.  I gave a lot of thought to doing Victory with some lighting but I chickened out.  Looing forward to what comes next.

Best,

Jerry

Hello David, just saw your build log and I will follow with  interest . You did a great job so far to your RC.  I have in mind to build RC as my third build. :) :)

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all

Well the first update for a while. There's not a lot more been achieved since my last post. As you can see I have been working on the cabin doors and windows, with one window to left to install. As some of you will notice the drips on the doors are not the same size as those on the windows, and they should be. That's because this drip here used the wrong walnut rings. So one more window to complete and all tidied up. As you can see I have bought some sculpy and a set of tools and will give it a whirl. Tools were £2.33p and came post free from China. I have bee searching around the site for a few logs were builders have used sculpy. I did spot a few a while back, but cannot now locate them, so can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot for all your comments, and for viewing. Here are a few photos. DAVID

post-96-0-63202000-1427657381_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-53124100-1427657401_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-46568400-1427657421_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-75355800-1427657439_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-38078900-1427657454_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hello David.

I will now admit to my ignorance.  What is the sculpey set for?  Have you decided to change hobbies and let the artisitic side of you come forward and become a sculptor? Will you need a mallet?  Or do you plan to gouge out something?  What's happening?

Best,

Jerry

Try this link and dont be discouraged, be motivated and inspred

ROYAL CAROLINE by Doris - CARD - 1749 -1:40

You can do that !!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hello Jerry and Nemad

Thanks a lot for the link Nemad. no problem with motivation. Jerry sculpy is an art form of creating figurines and the likes, like Michelangelo used to do, but he used brick and concrete. I am using a sort of plasticine stuff which you bake in the oven. Up to now I have made a scone and a morf. Being serious Jerry some builders on the site have produced excellent work using this medium. I shall give it a whirl and see how it goes, I can only fail. DAVID

David, I too can't wait to see what you accomplish.  All kidding aside, it sounds like one can take advantage of another art form and combine it into the world of model ship building. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us informed as you proceed.  Best,

Jerry

Hello David, I agree with Nehad, go for it. I have also read Dori's build log since I'm considering to build RC as my third buid.

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Their's three Ships that I have an overwhelming ambition to build, the first I'm working on as we speak, the second is the Royal William, third!!....well your building it now and doing a wonderful job to boot.

Keep doing the wonderful work your doing David, i'm looking forward to see this one come to life :)

Hi David,

Drop a note to Chuck Pessaro. He did a Sculpy presentation a few years ago at a joint ship clubs meeting.

Mort  

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society