Royal Caroline 1749 by Shipyard sid - Panart - 1/47 scale

Greetings all

Well here I go with my second build, which was not my chosen build. My chosen ship was the Pegasus by Victory models after following blue ensigns cracking build. I received the pegasus for my birthday in July and was ready to start the build on the completion of my first build. The Admiral was chatting to a friend who came to visit and was telling her about my late father who built lots of model ships, and saying how clever he was. She said to her friend the last two ships he built were galleons and and he built them side by side. She turned to me and said I don't want you to build that ship you have now, I want you to build a galleon. So after looking at the kits on CMB and photos she along with her friend decided the Royal Caroline was nice. It was not worth arguing so I am now building the Royal Galleon Caroline. I made a start a few weeks ago and have just started the first planking, and things are going ok. And at the minute this will be a straight foward build, but we will see what's what when the planking is completed. There are some really cracking builds going on here with all you enthusiastics, so I should not be lost for advice or help if needed. Well here we go we are off and running. Here's a few photos of my Galleon. DAVID

post-96-0-37263100-1416010419_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-17999800-1416010441_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-72689000-1416010457_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-07501100-1416010474_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-36078300-1416010505_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-64400600-1416010522_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-31320300-1416010545_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-13226400-1416010567_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-78508700-1416010585_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-14333700-1416010607_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-27228800-1416010624_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-88508300-1416010640_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-14507000-1416010653_thumb.jpg

Nice model and nice start .

And idea for new topic: Admiral's influence to shipmodeling

;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nice model and nice start .

And idea for new topic: Admiral's influence to shipmodeling

;)

In any case, we better not argue.  :)   Royal Caroline was a yacht but if the Admiral says "galleon"... a galleon it is.    I have my marching orders and David has his.  :D  :D :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks a lot for all your replies and likes. Yep you are correct about the size Lawrence, and I think Jerry has a smaller one in mind. I do like the idea of adding 'Admirals influence to ship modelling' nenad, but don't know how to. Gunther and Mark you are correct a galleon it is. DAVID

Greetings all

Well things are going pretty well at the moment, and the first planking is finished and sanded smooth, and I am pleased with way it has turned out. I was surprised how little filler I needed to use. I will now continue planking to all the upper areas, and sort out the underside of the transom. I am wondering if I should plank the sides of the keel at this stage, or if it is even necessary to add a first planking. Ok that's me for now, here's a few photos. Regards DAVID

post-96-0-37086200-1416523566_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-87639000-1416523579_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-84902800-1416523595_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-69820000-1416523656_thumb.jpg

I have a feeling that if the Admiral is content everything is going okay.  Smart use for push pins.

David B

• 3 weeks later...

Hello David..

I finally got around to see your new build and it looks excellent.  It seems that it didn't take you long to get to where you are.  I love the way your first planking looks and aren't you lucky that not too much filler is needed.  I hope to watch your progress with this fine model and I know from past experience you will do very well.  I just took the keel and frames (bulkheads) out of the box and have mounted the keel in the holder.  "Half Moon"  is quite small and that makes me very happy although I believe bending the strip planking on this hull may be more difficult than Victory was.  We'll see....I'll be seeing you soon.  Good luck,

Jerry

You are off to a great start David B) I would wait until later to decide on the keel planking,there is a 'knockon' effect if you choose this route which can lead to taking things further than anticipated.If you stick to Panarts colours,none of the ply will remain visible.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Greetings Jerry

Good to hear from you. I just had a look at your half moon , that doesn't sound right. So it's a galleon as is my royal caroline according to the admiral. It is rather small but at least there should be no problem .finding a place for it in the house. The planking on the victory was far from hard, and most of it was hidden by copper plates and paintwork. This being a lot smaller and all the planking visible, it's got to be very neat. I am just about finished the second planking but won't bother posting until it's finished and tidied up. Take your time and enjoy your build. As the case arrived ??? Catch you later , take care. DAVID ..

David...If all goes well, the case should be here and fitted before next Friday,  Thanks for asking.  Later, my friend.

Jerrry

Hello Nigel

Thanks for your advice. I have an idea what you mean . I will complete all the hull planking and then look at the keel, to which I have not even added the first planking yet, which I don't think is necessary, but may be wrong. I should be finished the second planking over the weekend, and then look at the keel. Thanks once again. DAVID

Hi David

You are correct to avoid adding first planking to the keel at the stern.The enemy with this and many other kits in this area is accumulative thickness.If you were to put first planking on here,you would have to sand it away to get the keel thin enough to allow for the second planking.I did originally think you meant covering the exposed stem and keel with planking material,this again can cause problems with thickness when fitting the figurehead and rudder pintles.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Greetings all

Well the second planking will soon be finished , and it is ok, so the smoothing of the hull should be no problem, but the poor quality planking strips will do the look of the hull no favour at all. What I need to know is should I treat the hull on its completion and if so what should I use. Thanks in advance. DAVID

post-96-0-88230700-1418602295_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-72652100-1418602318_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-67720900-1418602346_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-35635000-1418602370_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-26898000-1418602386_thumb.jpg

Hello David.

Your Caroline is really coming along nicely.  I believe a good sanding will make a big difference in the finish of the hull.  I also believe that Chris has a good idea with respect to varnishing the above waterline portion.  Perhaps a a nice satin varnish, in fact.  I have thought about possibly staining the hull and maybe even using a wax of some type but I'm not completely sold on this idea yet becuase from what i've read, waxing requires occassional touching up.  The photos look very good and the wood quality doesn't look bad but I suppose the pictures hide a little.  Your work on this ship seems to be moving quickly so I imagine the size of the ship makes things go  quicker.  Hope you have a great week.

Best,

Jerry

Hi DEavid,

welcome aboard to the Caroliners :D

I will follow your log with great attention!

I am still constructing the masts...

Best wishes and

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Greetings

Thanks a lot. Glen and Chris. It is white !!!! It's white on the box and my first photo!!!. I have been only looking at all the build logs which all show a wood finish, and did not realize it was white. I wondered what Nigel meant by panarts own colours, now I know!!. I realized the pintles were made only to suit the width of the ply keel, so thought about only using 0.5 mm strip on that area and the rudder, and insetting the pintles if necessary. Well at least I had an idea what I was doing. However I do want to retain the wood finish. So I do need a bit of advice on what to use on the planking to enhance the finish. It must be an age thing!!!! DAVID

A Matt varnish would look nice. Some Modelers use a gloss varnish but personally I think it's too glossy (plastic looking). How about even a wood stain? But that might bring it up too dark. Gather up some scraps of the finished planking and have a couple of trials to see what you think looks best.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all.

Well I have not done any work at all over the Xmas period, but resumed my build today intending to complete the sanding of the hull, after which I shall complete the planking of the keel. My intention when I started this build was to only clear varnish the hull, but when you look at the sanded hull it looks like that will not be an option. I knew the strips I was supplied with the kit were very poor to say the least, but did not realize how crappy they would look after the final sanding, as you can see the big difference from the beginning of the second planking on one photo, and the later ones after sanding. The hull looks awfull and is in fact a very smooth finish, with very few areas to tidy up. And the clear varnish idea is out of the window. So unless you chaps can offer any advice it looks like it's going to be a white painted hull, or would you use a coloured varnish. Thanks a lot in advance. DAVID

post-96-0-40777200-1419797063_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-46923700-1419797078_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-66957900-1419797101_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-84955900-1419797119_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-03994900-1419797143_thumb.jpg

Hello David.  I know just how you feel.  I had also planned to possibly stain and varnish the hull of the Half Moon but as I plank the first layer of the hull I realize that since I have also planked the keel as directed it won't look good that way.  I'm now thinking of a white hull and possibly a stained and varnished upper ship.  I will never complain again about copper plating, if you know what I mean.  In order to come up with a decent base for the second planking I'm going to have to use a lot of wood filler and plenty of sanding.  I imagine the second planking will require filler also and that will kill the idea of stain and varnish. In any event your work looks real good so you are going to end up with a very nice looking galleon.  By the way, you must be getting Americanized.  I noticed the way you spelled "realize."  Take care,

Jerry

Greeting Lawrence

Thanks a lot for your advice. I hope you had a cracking Xmas. I have spent little time on the site over Xmas, as I was away from home and only used my phone to check what was going on. I have already finished the second planking so need to work with this. I am off to see my friend later today to see what coloured varnish he has to hand, but it will need to be Matt. So I will see how things go later, but I do not want to paint the hull white if that is possible. Have you made a decision on your case yet ?? Best wishes DAVID

Hi David

I have been giving this some thought and you are limited as to options other than the white bottom.If you stain,the hull would have to be very dark to cope with the dark sections of walnut.Rubbing right down and covering with another layer is feasible using veneer,boxwood strips available in a variety of widths that are only 0.6mm thick from Originalmarquetry.com.The coloured varnish is an option,if you can't get matt,apply two or three coats.When fully hard abrade with steel wool and then apply a matt clear varnish over the top.

Sorry I can't offer an easy fix.

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all

At last an update. Thanks a lot for the comments and the advice I have received which is always welcome. The finish of the Hull is forgotten about for now. As you can see only the main deck needs planking. I have planked the stern transom and used red ochre on the bulwarks. The opening covers will not be fitted in position yet as I intend to install lighting so will need to run wiring in. In all I am happy, even though things look a bit crumby at the minute, but will soon be tidied up. As you can see there is also a breakage at the bow, which is normal for me, so no problem. I shall plod on in my willy nilly fashion and here's a few photos. Thanks a lot. DAVID

post-96-0-20135000-1421971006_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-44318600-1421971020_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-37173300-1421971054_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-76762500-1421971066_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-03875400-1421971091_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-22482800-1421971109_thumb.jpg

Hi David

I am building this kit also. Here's a photo of my hull with the first planking on it. I have changed a lot of the kit.Made a new stern with it now being curved. I just wish that the brass figure decoration castings were not from 30 years ago  along with the etched plates. You build a nice model and then have to put this stuff on it.

I will be leaving these off and trying carving some myself.

Good work David.

Keith

post-7881-0-63341700-1422001885_thumb.jpg