HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Hello Brian...

Please don't be amazed at my progress; I have nothing much to do all day so I spend a lot of time on the build.  It's something that I enjoy a lot snd look forward to each day.  Thank you very much for your compliment; I sincerely appreciate it.  Please come back and visit again and have a terrific weekend.

Best,

Jerry

David...Good to hear from you.  I am really having fun with this one.  I like the ability to easily handle it;  most of the work is done while holding the model in my lap.  I ruin more pairs of trousers that way.  LOL

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Everbody.

I noticed that the "manual"  made no mention of planking the bulwarks and therefore there was no material in the kit to do that.  I had a conversation with J who was kind enough to mention what he did because I noticed that he did plank the gunwales.  He told me he used some spare wood so since I have plenty of walnut strips left over from the Victory build I decided to use that wood to plank the gunwales of the Half Moon. I'm leaning toward finishing the outside of the hull with an oil of some type.  However, I think I'll varnish the gunwales with the same water based varnish I intend to use on the decks.  I'll probably change my mind about all this finish stuff ten times before I get to do it but that's how my mind is working now.  I have attached a few more pictures showing the deck planking and the partial gunwale planking (with walnut) that I have done so far.  As soon as I set the rialing supports and the stringers (waterways) on the deck I'll do the finishing of the outside of the hull and all the decks and railings.  Have a great evening everybody..

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-04084900-1421707988_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75473900-1421708002_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16988700-1421708014_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55084000-1421708037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greeting Jerry

It's coming along fine and sounds like you are really enjoying it.. I am starting to enjoy this build now, but must confess when I first started I could not get into the build and got a bit cheesed of with it. I have just finished planking the bulwarks which you are referring to on your ship and I did a bit of cheating. I was expected to plank them with vertical strip all around ( about I would guess at least a hundred) the ship. Mine are horizontal, and they get painted red so know one will know. I very rarely use the drawings, it's usually a cursory glance at them , then a look through the build logs to see which is the best way to go. Far better than the plans as you well know. I just found out Lawrence had another build on the go, so popped in to have a look, and there was no chairs left !!!!!!! But he is going to rustle me one up, anyway keep enjoying your build and it's looking very good. Regards .... DAVID

Hello Glenn....  Things will probably slow down a bit.  I think planking the gunwales will be a slow process but it'ssomething I feel is necessary even though the instructions assume nothing is to be done in this area,  I see tthat you are making nice progress with your Victory and I must say you're exhibiting pretty good speed.  I'm excited about getting closer to putting a finish on the hull as I'm anxious to see if an oil finish will work as I mentioned before  Well..onward and onward..

Best,

Jerry.

Edited by Jerry

Hello David.  I think you've done the right thing  I believe that vertical planking of the gunwales would not look too good  I'm glad you did it the way you did.  I'm sure you'll agree with me that these smaller ships are fun to handle.  I'm actually working on the model while it's in my lap  I better be careful with the knife...Take care David and much appreciatin\on for your visit as always..

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Your gunwales look good, I think you should apply tung oil to them prior to finish with urethane, oil will make that walnut pop, course you would have to wait a few days to apply the final finish.  You are makeing some real progress, I think it took me 3 months to get to the stage your at!!

Good morning, J..

Truthfully, I'm a bit confused with regard to the finish.  I didn't realize one could cover an oil finish with a urethane coating.  Live and learn, I guess.  It won't be too long from now when I'll have to decide.  Stay tuned.  LOL

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

It's early morning and it's difficult to fall asleep so I decided to write this progress report on the building of my Half Moon.  I have finished planking the bulwarks and the inboard transom.  I will add the waterways (stringers) later today and then get on with the railing posts and the bow belaying pin rack.  Then more sanding and hopefully when that's completed I expect to finish the outside of the hull with an oil finish and the inside of the hull and decks with a water based varnish.  I may wiat to complete the bows (Ram, bow stems, etc.)    before the oiling process but I'm not sure about this yet.  Fitting the walnut strips onto the bulwarks was a chore and frankly it's a job I didn't relish.  The admiral likes the way it looks so I have no choice but to call it complete.  Here a a few pictures of where I stand at this early hour in the morning...

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-36051200-1421906068_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-36476400-1421906085_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-35967700-1421906103_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Very Nice Jerry, the Admiral obviously has great taste, I would finish the beak prior to adding an oil finish to prevent any problems with adhesives

J

Hello J...

I have always mentioned to the admiral that she has great taste; I started telling her that the night we were married.  LOL.  Thanks for your advice which I will take and complete the beak before any finishing. After these few weeks of working on this build I still enjoy the ability to easily handle this ship.  Hope you have a wonderful day.

Best,

Jerry

P.S.  Why are you up so early in the morning?

Hello Glenn,

Thanks for your visit.  Yep, you are right, of course...the enjoyment far outweighs the drudgery.

Have a great day.

Best,

Jerry

if your looking for a good seal coat......I would suggest a lacquer.   it come in gloss,  semi gloss,  and flat......I tend to use the semi gloss,  since it soaks into the wood and becomes dull.   it's also a nice hard finish as well.  give it a try on a test piece.........I'm sure you'll like it  ;) 

saw your log on the right hand side of the forum page...........very nice work!  I started a billing's kit right around when  J started his.  one of these days,  I'll get back to it.......meanwhile,  I'll have yours to enjoy!   looking forward to it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello David..

It was good of you to pay my log a visit and I appreciate your commnents as usual.  I'm excited to hear that you are going to wire your Caroline and I'm anxious to see what the results.  Before I started building Victory I gave serious thoughts to lighting the ship also.  I figured the 4 lanterns would be a kick and of course, the stern and quarter galleries.  But I chickened out.  I wish you would stop breaking the pointy things; it's giving everyone a bad feeling.  What is it with you? LOL.Talk to you soon, David,

Jerry

Hello Brian...

I;m very happy that you were able to find time to visit my log.  And, before I forget, congratulations to you on your recent marriage  I 'm really not going like a bat out of hell; I'm just going.  You see, I'm an old man with nothing but time on my hands so I work on my model off and on all day.  I sometimes start at 6am since I awake very early so there are plenty of hours in the day for me to build.  It's sometthing I love very much, but not just because of the construction but greatly because I have made some terrific friends right here on MSW and communcating with them has been most enjoyable.  Thank you so much for your compliment; I truly appreciate it.  I hope you will continue visiting and offer any criticism which I will surely accept in a constructive manner.  I hope you have a terrific day as I assume you will read this after you awake on Friday. 

Best,

Jerry

Hello Popeye

I'm really happy that you have stopped in to say hello.  I'd like you to know that I welcome your visit and hope you'll make it a habit.  I can use all the help I can get. Thank you very much for your advice regarding the use of lacquer.  I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.  Are you saying that I should applu a coat of lacquer on top of the oil finish or do you mean I should apply the lacquer on the raw wood?  Please let me knnow what you meant.  Again, many thanks for your compliment and good luck with your build

Best,
Jerry

I'm pretty sure that it can be use over an oil stain.......that you may want to test first.   it works very well on mineral stains {common household stains}............not sure about the oil based sealers though....again,  that's probably best to test first.   sure.....if you prefer the blonde look.....it can be used on the bare wood..........really makes the grain pop!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks, Popeye..

I will definitely test some different finishes beefore I settle with anything.  To tell the truth, I'm familiar with water based varnish and that seems to work well.  However, it doesn't enhance the qualities of the wood.  From what I've been told by some other modelers, Fromby's lemon oil works very well and if your finished model is encased, it only needs to be touched up about once a year.  I guess I'm spoiled because my Cutty Sark has been in a display case for about 16 or 17 years and I have never removed it once.  The hull bottom is copper clad and the rest is painted. (same with my Victory)   And believe it or not, after having waxed all the rigging lines, there is no trace of dust any place.  Thanks again and please keep in touch.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone...

I'm still working in the drydock but I would like to bring my progress up to date.  The little rail post were cut with a miter saw and were real buggers to make all the same size.  I finally decided to cut them close to the final dimension and sanded them to the finish size on my miniature belt sander.  I'm sure you'll all agree that holding an 8mm piece of 4x4mm against a belt sander can be treacherous.  I escaped with all my fingers and managed to complete the phase.  All rail posts are installed as well as the forecastle railings and the bow belaying pin rack.  The ram  (the pointy thing as David Shipyard Sid would say) is next along with all of its components.  I hope everybody has a terrific weekend and please feel free to post any comments, negative or positive, if you'd like.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone...

I'm still working in the drydock but I would like to bring my progress up to date.  The little rail post were cut with a miter saw and were real buggers to make all the same size.  I finally decided to cut them close to the final dimension and sanded them to the finish size on my miniature belt sander.  I'm sure you'll all agree that holding an 8mm piece of 4x4mm against a belt sander can be treacherous.  I escaped with all my fingers and managed to complete the phase.  All rail posts are installed as well as the forecastle railings and the bow belaying pin rack.  The ram  (the pointy thing as David Shipyard Sid would say) is next along with all of its components.  I hope everybody has a terrific weekend and please feel free to post any comments, negative or positive, if you'd like.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-05222700-1422042278_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-38490800-1422042328_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-62830000-1422042386_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-31386700-1422043095_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-32378100-1422043177_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-26342500-1422043194_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-57555000-1422043207_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good to hear from you, Lawrence.

I appreciate that you could take time from the work in your shipyard and come over to see what's going on in this drydock.  It may appear that the little guys are working at a feverish pace but the truth is I had to lay off several of them a couple of days ago for the reason you mentioned.  It seems that the one in charge of planking had some trouble at home and thought he could forget about his troubles if he drank them away.  This particular fellow migrated to the United States several years ago from Newfoundland and apparently smuggled a case of Newfoundland Screech over the border.  He proceeded to bring 2 bottles of the rum into drydock aand a binge ensued.  The foreman, a rather large and broad bloke, walked into the planking area and discovered several of the little guys sprawled on a pile of planks. He had no choice but to set an example and sack the lot.  But it didn't take long to find replacements as you well know, jobs are still hard to come by.  All in all, things are back to normal and the bow division of my drydock has taken over the construction and is preparing to install the Ram and other parts to produce a beak of beauty.

P.S. The drunkard and his better half have come to terms; he is now house cleaning while she has found employment in a  competing shipyard.

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jim..

Many thanks for stopping by my Half Moon log.  I appreciate your nice words and hope to see you again real soon.  However, I must adnit at I have to differ with you on one subject...

I'm a NY Ranger fan.  LOL

Jerry

Edited by Jerry